*****WARNING Neptune Probe holder WARNING******

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been noticing a few strange things in my tank lately, things just don't look right weird algae bloom and corals closed lost a few really nice pieces to RTN. Today during routing maintenance I noticed my probeholder was coming apart. I have read many threads of magnets corroding in tanks and causing problems well the neptune Magnet is LARGE and corrodes like crazy!!!!!. I have had this holder in the sump for six months. I wish the Neptune product was of the higher standard that I really expect from this company :(

Untitled by watsonj0, on Flickr

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear :( I had the holder side separate on mine as well. Luckily this wasn't under water for my configuration.

Customer service was quick to send me replacement, where the white plastics are now gray. Not sure if this is an improved design or just cosmetic. It seemed like the magnet expanded and broke the adhesive bond.

magnet-holder.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny little bit of water seeps into an imperfect weld, and rust starts to form.....that generates the pressure that splits the case. :( I've had eshopps do the same on me....nasty neodymium magnets tho...at least these were (it appears) mostly ferrous. The high power magnets corrode into some kind of blue gunk. :confused:

MadMax

MARINE AQUARIUM EXPO
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact them and demand a warranty replacement. Manufacturing and/or Design defects shouldn't be your burden to bare.

USCG CWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My application keeps it up out of the water but going now to give it a once over.

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few weeks ago, now I'm afraid to use it. It wasn't cheap either.

pandimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear :( I had the holder side separate on mine as well. Luckily this wasn't under water for my configuration.

Customer service was quick to send me replacement, where the white plastics are now gray. Not sure if this is an improved design or just cosmetic. It seemed like the magnet expanded and broke the adhesive bond.

magnet-holder.jpg
Yours seems to be the opposite side of his..

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be checking mine also. Let us know what Neptune says about it.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our probe holders are well sealed but a defect could be possible. Certainly not saying it happened here but be sure not to drop the holder or let the magnets smack together as it could cause a fracture of the acrylic or the glue. Contact support for an exchange. In the many thousands of these sold we have only seen this happen a couple of times.

Collinw24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since a good number of these probe holders seem to have issues, what do people actually recommend?

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, that's a nice idea indeed. I wish there was something a lil more aesthetically pleasing though. I bet there is something.

OP
OP
Jonty

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune was very prompt at answering my email, I just need to find the receipt , chance of that is 1:10 LOL

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, that's a nice idea indeed. I wish there was something a lil more aesthetically pleasing though. I bet there is something.

My pumps are hidden - so i do not se either them or the magnets

Sincerely Lasse

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 189 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back