Watchman goby has worms coming out of his face

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed today, that my yellow Watchman goby has a worm or worms coming out of his face. You can see that there is one or two coming out of his eyes, I can see it kind of inside of his mouth. And it's coming out the bottom of his gills. I've attach the picture. Help!
IMG_20180516_174248373.jpg
IMG_20180516_174130946_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
dlockert

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly not sure. They are pretty little. They look like they might either have stripes or are segmented. Kind of reddish brown and a little more transparent at the end.

Well, after practically pulling the tank apart, I caught him (I've got to get better at this!) I FW dipped him and the worms didn't come out so doing prazipro in QT. Didn't want to do the whole tank as I've got a starfish and urchin that are recovering from other drama and I didn't want to have to pull them out of the tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are Anchor worms, you can remove them with tweezers. And then consider treating the wounds with a bath in a 90 minute acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. It has both an antiseptic quality to help clean the wounds and antibiotic quality to help prevent infection.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I FW dipped him and the worms didn't come out

How long did you dip him for? Big G has a good point, but you'll need a steady hand since its a small fish with even smaller worms.

OP
OP
dlockert

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you dip him for? Big G has a good point, but you'll need a steady hand since its a small fish with even smaller worms.
I don't know exactly but probably 5 to 8 minutes. Yes, when I started with this hobby I had no idea picking worms off fish would be a thing lol

OP
OP
dlockert

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are Anchor worms, you can remove them with tweezers. And then consider treating the wounds with a bath in a 90 minute acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. It has both an antiseptic quality to help clean the wounds and antibiotic quality to help prevent infection.
Thank you for all this information!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuck! I’ve never seen anything like that! I do think it looks like anchor worms after research—- good luck pulling them off!

OP
OP
dlockert

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I pulled everyone out of the tank to remove the worms. This was one of the most stressful things I've ever done. Pulling tiny worms out of the eyes of little fish is not fun. I ended up not being able to get one of them out of the nugget clown's eye. Got everyone in the treated QT tank and prayed they would all be alright.

This morning, the nugget is dead
1f641.png
one of my favorite fish, who hung out in the anemone. Still in the display tank is the red sea star who is totally stressed out and falling apart. Couldn't be the $8 damsels right? In any case, hopefully on the road to recovering. Redid the seascape in the tank while they were all out - it's beautiful and I'm just sad there are no fish in it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dlockert

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.

I ended up choosing Dimilin X to treat it after I pulled the worms off but I couldn't find it locally and it was going to be a couple of days before it would get to the house. So, I read that Furan-2 would be a good choice to help with bacterial infections, etc. So while I waited for the Dimilin, I used that.

What a mess!! I don't know if this is normal but it basically coated the entire inside of the 10 gallon tank with white powder. I was supposed to repeat in 48 hours but didn't. The Dimilin ended up coming early. Like Ich treatments, it is only effective on the immature form of the bug so I needed to treat the DT.

So, pulled everyone out of the QT one at a time and inspected. Unfortunately some still had worms on them - so back to tiny worms on little fish and then back to QT. The rest I put in the DT with the Dimilin and also used Melafix to help with the healing.

Glad I did - again, I don't know if it is normal, but when I started pulling the fish out of the Furan-2 QT tank, some of them looked awful. That was Sunday. Within a couple of hours, everyone but the watchman goby looked great. I've been dosing the Melafix most days and will redose the Dimilin tomorrow and hope I get all the eggs. In the time being, one of the watchman gobies didn't make it and the other one is in QT and not eating. Really bummed about that - he is one of the few original fish we still have left (besides the cowfish!). Gonna miss his grumpy face if he doesn't make it :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back