Water change with sump... what is the process?

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I currently don't have a sump, I have been just siphoning from the tank, then dumping into the top. My new tank will have a canopy, so I would like to do the water changes through the sump. I'm not sure how to go about it, though. The sump will have an inlet/filter sock section (small-ish), skimmer section, refugium section, and return section. Where do I pull the water from? Can I install a valve to close the return going back to the tank, open one going to a drain, and use the return pump to remove water? How do I know how much water I removed? It seems like the water height in the sump is going to be determined by the height needed in the skimmer chamber, but is there some way to just fill back up to a certain point? I've never had a sump, so maybe it's more simple than I'm making it out to be. I want to plan with plumbing if I need to, though.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can setup a auto water change from your sump.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can only pull enough water out from the sump that your tank can dump into the sump without needing an extra pump.
for a typical tank that is not much - and only a few gallons as the water level in the tank then goes below the internal weir of the overflow box and hence no water gravitates to the sump.

only way to do this - would be to PUSH water into the sump using a pump so that as you pull it out from the sump - it keeps on filling.
which kinda doesnt make sense since if you are gonna do that - might as well pull it straight out of the tank.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could... if you turn on the return pump at the same time.

so basically - your tank water is low now since you have taken water out of it.
if you fill back into your SUMP instead - only way to make that work would be to turn on the return pump as you fill the sump with new water so it keeps sending it back into the tank.
Remember the DRAIN wont start till the water level in the main tank doesnt start flowing into the overflow box.

hope that makes sense.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could... if you turn on the return pump at the same time.

so basically - your tank water is low now since you have taken water out of it.
if you fill back into your SUMP instead - only way to make that work would be to turn on the return pump as you fill the sump with new water so it keeps sending it back into the tank.
Remember the DRAIN wont start till the water level in the main tank doesnt start flowing into the overflow box.

hope that makes sense.

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I am doing water changes from the sump, I shutoff the heater, return pump, and skimmer. Display water will/should eventually stop draining to the sump. So water will go high in the sump. Make sure you have done proper calculation to ensure your sump holds all water that will drain from your display when the power is off.
Once draining from display to sump has stopped, note the level of the water with tape or a marker. Use a small power head to pull water from sump, moving the power head from chamber to chamber to get desired amount. I only do 4-5 gallons at a time on my 57 gallon tank. Once you have removed the desired amount of old water, pump/pour the new water into the sump until you reach the previously marked level (power off level). Start the return pump first. Wait for water to return to operation level in the sump. Then power on the heater and skimmer.

If this is not clear, let me know. I don't want to mislead you.

OP
OP
Z

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, makes sense, and roughly how I was thinking of doing it. I currently drain straight into the toilet, and my siphon auto-breaks at 10 gallons. I will have to just do some playing in the sump to figure out the amount of water to pull out.

Of course the sump will have to hold whatever would drain from the tank, same as if there was a power outage or something.

OP
OP
Z

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it will have doors. I have considered getting a pump, but have just been lifting/dumping. I guess I can go find a pump that will fit in my water jug...

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a cheep pond pump. I pump it into a 25 gal Rubbermaid brut on wheels. Then dump the water

OP
OP
Z

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a cheep pond pump. I pump it into a 25 gal Rubbermaid brut on wheels. Then dump the water

I really only need to change 10g of water, and I am more interested in getting the water back into the tank than out of it. I can siphon from the DT into my toilet like I have been pretty easily, but dumping the water back in is going to be a challenge.

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only need to change 10g of water, and I am more interested in getting the water back into the tank than out of it. I can siphon from the DT into my toilet like I have been pretty easily, but dumping the water back in is going to be a challenge.
That's why you want to remove it from your sump and not from the display.

jlancas81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do what ruckus does. Return pump refills tank. I will pull water from display on an as needed basis depending on buildup or detritus, but that is rare as I turn my gyre up high every now and then and use filter sock to collect the crap

OP
OP
Z

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm going to try to get away with just doing the exchange in the sump. Do you have a suggestion for a cheapish powerhead that I can attach a hose to?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back