Water change with sump... what is the process?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a dumb question? Why would you want to change the water in the sump?
I don't have a canopy so I easily pull water from the tank and the sump. I usually start with the sump so I can suck up and clean up the accumulation of gunk and detritus. With the sump dry it is also easier for me to pull, clean and replace the media in my reactors. I don't have a refugium so this is possible.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I did a wc from the sump I made sure I put marks to know where the levels were after turning off the pumps. I shut off all the pumps and let the DT drain into the sump, once that's done I marked on the sump where the water level stopped at. I also made a mark on the DT of the level after it drained into the sump. Once I had the marks I siphoned all the water out of the sump (15g) and some from the DT (5g), for a total of 20g. I filled the sump to the mark with freshly mixed water and added some to the DT to bring the water level up to the mark I made when it drained into the sump, I then just turn on the pumps and everything levels out to were it should be. From start to finish it takes me about 30 mins just for the wc, if you add cleaning and changing media, about an hour.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm going to try to get away with just doing the exchange in the sump. Do you have a suggestion for a cheapish powerhead that I can attach a hose to?

I use http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-mj1200-powerhead.html .Then go down to home depot and get the appropriate hose that slips on the outlet. I love these little pumps. multipurpose and they can be used for anything in a pinch. I have 4 of them around that I use for everything from mixing salt water, pumping out for water changes, or even an emergency powerhead. I also use the buckethead for a big clean on the sump. I bought the attachments for the buckethead hose so it is a lot smaller on the suction end and I can get into tight corners and it cuts down on the suction power a bit. Both work great for my needs. I also use the MJ's to pump the freshly mixed saltwater back into the tank to complete the waterchange so there is no lifting of buckets. I pump directly out of my brute container (which is on wheels so I can roll it right next to the tank)that I mix the salt water in.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I did a wc from the sump I made sure I put marks to know where the levels were after turning off the pumps. I shut off all the pumps and let the DT drain into the sump, once that's done I marked on the sump where the water level stopped at. I also made a mark on the DT of the level after it drained into the sump. Once I had the marks I siphoned all the water out of the sump (15g) and some from the DT (5g), for a total of 20g. I filled the sump to the mark with freshly mixed water and added some to the DT to bring the water level up to the mark I made when it drained into the sump, I then just turn on the pumps and everything levels out to were it should be. From start to finish it takes me about 30 mins just for the wc, if you add cleaning and changing media, about an hour.
I just measure the total amount of water I remove from both the sump and the DT (20 Gallons) then I refill from the top of the tank which overflows to the sump. This way you don't have to mark anything. 20 out and 20 back in. Doesn't matter where you pour it.

OP
OP
Z

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just measure the total amount of water I remove from both the sump and the DT (20 Gallons) then I refill from the top of the tank which overflows to the sump. This way you don't have to mark anything. 20 out and 20 back in. Doesn't matter where you pour it.

I can't really just pour into the tank because of the canopy... I can definitely use a pump to put it in, but I don't see a huge difference in pulling from the sump vs pulling from the tank, other than convenience.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really just pour into the tank because of the canopy... I can definitely use a pump to put it in, but I don't see a huge difference in pulling from the sump vs pulling from the tank, other than convenience.
Pulling it from the tank is better because noxious water can build up in the bottom of your tank(heavier than water sinks to the bottom), you should siphon at least some of the water you take from the system from the bottom of your tank. At least that's how i was taught to do it. You can refill through your sump if you want, that's what i do.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling it from the tank is better because noxious water can build up in the bottom of your tank(heavier than water sinks to the bottom), you should siphon at least some of the water you take from the system from the bottom of your tank. At least that's how i was taught to do it. You can refill through your sump if you want, that's what i do.
Any tank that has a noxious layer of water at the bottom is not being run properly. It would mean that the tank has practicality zero circulation and the water is stagnant. Our standard fish and corals would not be able to survive in this type of environment. I certainly don't have that problem.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank that has a noxious layer of water at the bottom is not being run properly. It would mean that the tank has practicality zero circulation and the water is stagnant. Our standard fish and corals would not be able to survive in this type of environment. I certainly don't have that problem.
That's just the way I've always done it, siphon from the bottom of my tank. That way i can clean the sand at the same time. Just my way i guess, but that's the way I was taught to do it. Maybe noxious was the wrong word.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just the way I've always done it, siphon from the bottom of my tank. That way i can clean the sand at the same time. Just my way i guess, but that's the way I was taught to do it. Maybe noxious was the wrong word.
Certainly if you have piles of detritus building up on your sand bed then it is wise to siphon it out during water changes. If however, the tank has proper circulation and creatures living in and turning over the sand bed, this practice should rarely be necessary. In fact disurbing the sand bed too much can release hydrogen sulfide gas into the water column. This gas can prove to be far more harmful than detritus buildup.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off the return and then siphon water and any detritus i find from the display. I then siphon new saltwater into the sump and turn on the return pump and let it lower the water in the sump. I then turn it back off until the new water is drained into the sump and then turn everything back on,

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly if you have piles of detritus building up on your sand bed then it is wise to siphon it out during water changes. If however, the tank has proper circulation and creatures living in and turning over the sand bed, this practice should rarely be necessary. In fact disurbing the sand bed too much can release hydrogen sulfide gas into the water column. This gas can prove to be far more harmful than detritus buildup.
Well maybe I'll rethink this, because its kind of a pain in the backside. I still don't think its a bad idea to take your water from the display tank.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe I'll rethink this, because its kind of a pain in the backside. I still don't think its a bad idea to take your water from the display tank.
I DO take water from the DT also. It's just that my sump is where I get a lot of detritus and other gunk that I want to remove so I take water from there first.

OP
OP
Z

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It should be all the same water, provided you have decent flow and turnover. So, not a bad idea, but not really better either...

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be all the same water, provided you have decent flow and turnover. So, not a bad idea, but not really better either...
Maybe a little from both is the way to go. I think i will try not siphoning the sand anymore, because i can see how that may hurt the growth of copods and things like that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back