wc, between antibiotic treatments? or keep treating then WC last

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, when dosing metroplex and kanoplex it says to repeat every two days. for up to three treatments max... so my question is do you preform a water change in between or just keep dose every two days and perform a wc once the recommended treatment cycle is complete..?.. i say no because the directions do not say to perform one.....Today is the two-day mark.

im treating a 260-gallon fowlr so it takes an entire bottle of both to produce a correct dose amount in a tank this large.... YESSS YESSS YESSSS i know it's better to treat in a smaller tank but thats not how im rolling here and that was the purpose of going fowler so I would not have to play fisherman anymore and if one gett sick they all get dosed....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, when dosing metroplex and kanoplex it says to repeat every two days. for up to three treatments max... so my question is do you preform a water change in between or just keep dose every two days and perform a wc once the recommended treatment cycle is complete..?.. i say no because the directions do not say to perform one.....Today is the two-day mark.

im treating a 260-gallon fowlr so it takes an entire bottle of both to produce a correct dose amount in a tank this large.... YESSS YESSS YESSSS i know it's better to treat in a smaller tank but thats not how im rolling here and that was the purpose of going fowler so I would not have to play fisherman anymore and if one gett sick they all get dosed....

If there are no other water quality issues, you do not need to do partial water changes for either of these treatments.

Jay

Edit: I checked Noga's book. One of his references for Kanamycin says at 50 to 100 mg/l, dose every three days for three treatments, with a 50% water change between each treatment. The reference is from 1976 and does not say FW or SW.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Are you talking about doing a 'complete' water change? If you are 'no'. If you mean a partial water change? No, unless there is a parameter problem.

I thought I posted in the earlier thread - the fish medication compatibility guide. According to that chart you can use metroplex and kanaplex together. Note - in the quote from that article below - they say to dose for 10 days but at least for kanaplex - the recommendation is up to 3 doses.

Everyone here that has answered is trying to help you. Right? As I said in my other post - (Paraphrased) - I know you're unable to remove your fish, but for other readers - its best to use a hospital tank.

Antibiotics:
Use antibiotics with caution when mixing with other medications. It is recommended to bind medication with food using Seachem Focus for it to be most effective in healing Internal Infections. Dose directly in water for External Infections. Dose antibiotics for 10 Days. Avoid dosing for excessive amount of days past the 10 Days mark. Below 10 days or way after 10 days might cause the bacteria to become resistive to the antibiotic. No severe reactions have been found when mixing antibiotics with treatments like copper, CP, Prazi, although some reactions have been found with less used medications and are listed in "Others" section.

Antibiotics include but not limited to:
Metronizole (Ex: Seachem Metroplex)
Nitrofurazone / Nifurpirinal (Ex: API Furan-2)
Kanamycin Phosphate (Ex: Seachem Kanaplex)

For severe infections or gram-negative bacteria use the trio Metroplex, Furan-2, and Kanaplex. (aka Trifecta)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Lightly Siphon day 3 and 5

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
for the rest what does lightly siphon mean - and why - as compared to at the end
wrong thread - For this treatment - repeat treatments are suggested along with removal of carbon and skimming
for the rest what does lightly siphon mean - and why - as compared to at the end

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean he asked a question the answer - did not make sense to me - why 'siphon lightly at days 3, 5. IMHO it does not. There is no reason to do a water change between antibiotic doses - unless there is a change in paraneters. Perhaps I'm miseading?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I mean he asked a question the answer - did not make sense to me - why 'siphon lightly at days 3, 5. IMHO it does not. There is no reason to do a water change between antibiotic doses - unless there is a change in paraneters. Perhaps I'm miseading?
I just answered- This siphon was for a different thread, With his treatment, repeated treatments are suggested along with removal of carbon and skimming every 48 hours

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back