We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Amphidinium Dinos

I was told by my fish store to add Re-Fresh for 3 doses every other day , then do a day blackout day(day 6) followed by Waste-Away(day 7). I am going to black out the day on the 7 as well which is today. I am hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Amphidinium Dinos

I was told by my fish store to add Re-Fresh for 3 doses every other day , then do a day blackout day(day 6) followed by Waste-Away(day 7). I am going to black out the day on the 7 as well which is today. I am hoping for the best.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B2D977E8-10C1-4488-A0CC-F329AA6AA7EB.jpeg

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question, my tank is still fairly new and I’m having what appears to be a Dino out outbreak... would you contribute this partly to new tank syndrome? Or should I start the treatment regime you provided. What do you suggest? If it’s tank uglies I’ll wait it out to see if it will disappear...

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about a month and a half in ... I used established rock and live sand but also had dry rock in there.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question, my tank is still fairly new and I’m having what appears to be a Dino out outbreak... would you contribute this partly to new tank syndrome? Or should I start the treatment regime you provided. What do you suggest? If it’s tank uglies I’ll wait it out to see if it will disappear...

You need to put it under a microscope to know for sure. Do you have a picture of it in your tank? Dinos don't usually happen unless you strip your water too clean from what I have seen.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a poll on this topic recently. Based on the results and comments, I'd say that the first 6 months are the most likely to see Dinos, but it can go on a long time. The keys are maintaining good water quality and stability.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an easier solution than OPs to avoiding Dinos. Don't use dead dry rock in your tank, EVER. Use real, wet, live rock from the ocean. There are a couple good sources:
http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/
https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/aquacultured-live-rock/

Too bad they haven't paid for Google search optimization. If you Google real ocean live rock, the top spots are all taken by fake rock. Nuts. Anyway, I've got two legit sources for you. You can thank me later.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to put it under a microscope to know for sure. Do you have a picture of it in your tank? Dinos don't usually happen unless you strip your water too clean from what I have seen.

I will try to take some pics. I've done so much research, and it leads to Dinos. This is also my second tank, and to be quite honest, i probably stripped it to clean. I didn't really allow it to get "dirty" from the beginning. I have turned my skimmer off, and i have some chaeto tumbling around so i'm hoping turning my skimmer off will make my water a little dirty to see if it helps...

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 2-day blackout period and Waste-Away, 99% of the nasty dinos are gone. I turkey basted the rocks and it's amazing to see how clean they look again. There were a few stragglers on the powerheads and overflow but the rocks and sand are virtually spotless. I am hoping they are not just hiding from the darkness and accually dead. I am doing the last day of blackout today and added some re-fresh. I am running carbon to make sure the toxins get taken out as I have mostly acros in the system.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 2-day blackout period and Waste-Away, 99% of the nasty dinos are gone. I turkey basted the rocks and it's amazing to see how clean they look again. There were a few stragglers on the powerheads and overflow but the rocks and sand are virtually spotless. I am hoping they are not just hiding from the darkness and accually dead. I am doing the last day of blackout today and added some re-fresh. I am running carbon to make sure the toxins get taken out as I have mostly acros in the system.
Let us know after a month :)

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know after a month :)

Are you saying that because you saw Dinos return after a month. I saw that you used it in 2016 and regretted it. If they return then I will try the Metroplex that seems to have worked for a lot of people. Did you ever try that with success? I am reading that thread now but am not far enough to know if you tried it.

"I am very anxious to begin this treatment. I should have never used that waste away stuff. This dr. Tims waste away stuff has caused a bateria bloom and is taking forever to bounce back. It's been 38 hours and no change. I really don't want to drive another 4 hours round trip for bottled bacteria. I also dont want to lose my live stock either. Ugh.."-reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that because you saw Dinos return after a month. I saw that you used it in 2016 and regretted it. If they return then I will try the Metroplex that seems to have worked for a lot of people. Did you ever try that with success? I am reading that thread now but am not far enough to know if you tried it.

"I am very anxious to begin this treatment. I should have never used that waste away stuff. This dr. Tims waste away stuff has caused a bateria bloom and is taking forever to bounce back. It's been 38 hours and no change. I really don't want to drive another 4 hours round trip for bottled bacteria. I also dont want to lose my live stock either. Ugh.."-reeferfoxx
In 2016 my algae growth was misidentified as dinos when in fact it was chrysophytes.

I actually didn't get a positive ID of dinos till early 2017 after a series of events that happened to my tank. Starting with a rock that was disintegrating from the inside out.

Are you saying that because you saw Dinos return after a month.
Bacterial additions only reduce nutrients due to bacteria consuming them. Once you stop those dosings, that bacteria reduces and you eventually get back to where you started. Long term success starts with knowing why dinos pop up and how to keep them from popping up.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this from the metroplex thread? A proper quote would help here. Besides that metroplex thread is dead. It doesnt kill dinos. These threads are old and dead for a reason, starting with they dont work.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this from the metroplex thread? A proper quote would help here. Besides that metroplex thread is dead. It doesnt kill dinos. These threads are old and dead for a reason, starting with they dont work.

Yes, I just skipped ahead and saw that it doesn't work. That's too bad. I guess it was too good to be true.
As far as I understand the dinos get out of control due to too low of nutrients? I went through cyano and once that was gone(using cyano chemicals) the donos seems to grow out of control. In past tanks I have had dinos that went away after weeks of normal maintenance and target dosing Hydrogen Peroxide. The current dinos seemed to grow much faster and harder to manage.

After all the reading I have done it seems that the only long term way to beat them or keep them in check is by keeping stable amounts of nutrients?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back