We don't need no stinking dining room table! Custom 328g FOWLR with 260g reef- total 700g+ system a

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here we go! I am the current proud papa of a 260 gallon 8 foot mixed reef that contains corals that are several years old from my prior 2 upgrades beforehand. Like most of us reefers I have eyed many of the kick-a fish that we can't put in with our precious corals and wished I could get that angel, trigger, butterflyfish, tusk, etcetera into my tank. Well, after nearly two years of saying, "when we move- I will...", I have decided to go for a custom 328 tank to house the beautiful and interesting fish that we all secretly desire. Interesting part is that this is going to be in the same "dining" room that currently houses my 8 foot mixed reef. Even with a nice, custom setup that is designed to specifically fit into a pass through ledge already in the room, it means not everything will fit. After much deliberation, discussion (and, let's face it, cajoling and pleading) the once a year used dining room table is out and couches, new tank and hopefully, awesome fish room is in.

I will update this initial thread with pictures, hopefully some diagrams (just downloaded Sketchup for first time) and frequent calls for advice. I am in the very beginning stages and was going to sign the paper today when I ran into some questions that prompted this thread. So I intend to set the stage a little better later on as far as room layout and pictures but let me get some quick basics in so I can hit everyone up for advice.

The dims are 67" wide by 31" deep by 36" tall. When you walk into my front door you have an open dining room on your left which has a large opening and a ledge cut through to our family room. This area is where the tank will be integrated. Walking into the house you will still see through the tank into the family room with the tank having a peninsula setup and back left corner overflow that will almost reach the front glass. The tank will then be viewable from the front hall/former dining room and then from the family room/backof the house as well. Each side will have a totally different look and there will also be a large cut out in the dry wall so you can see the side from the hallway.
It will truly be 3-sided viewing. Dims are dictated by the current design of this corner which is best shown in pics (to be added). I checked into taller, but it became prohibitive on pricing (more than doubled the cost to add a few inches).

I have two questions which are plaguing me, one of which I need to decide on before placing my order. That is: 1) whether to use a closed loop or whether my return and one powerhead can generate adequate flow; 2) whether to link the two tanks to save on extra skimmer, sump and get benefit of total water volume. I know the cons, primary of which is the difference in water quality and potential disease transmission. The questions interrelate only in that if I link the two tanks a closed loop becomes mandatory as the return wouldn't have enough force for my purposes. Initial, pressing question I want to hit is whether to go closed loop.

OP
OP
I

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to closed loop or not to closed loop. First off, this is viewable on 3 sides and I have no fish room for sump, etcetera. That is the reason I want a CL, to avoid powerheads around the tank. Aesthetically it just won't work. I do intend to put an underwater style powerhead (koralia 8, voyager 8, etc) in the center of the overflow, attaching the back magnet to the inside of the overflow. This should help a lot. However, that is it on powerheads, so I have to accomplish the rest of my flow either through a kicking return directed through

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other half would never allow me to do that, altho she is very into the hobby, i have my spot in the living room of the house for now and thats it lol

OP
OP
I

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EEk, hit post by accident- how do you edit a post here? Sorry about this-to continue, "However, that is it on powerheads, so I have to accomplish the rest of my flow either through a kicking return directed through the overflow- probably through a calfo manifold or through a closed loop with an intake drilled as a separate hole in the front of the overflow (appx. 10 inches from top) where the plumbing for the intake of the loop is routed through the overflow down to the sump and into the pump, then run back up through the overflow and into a calfo manifold.
For both of you that haven't fallen asleep yet, this is my initial decision I need to make now- I am going to put 4, 1 1/2 inch holes in the overflow. This allows a herbie drain, a return and a closed loop. Or if I don't go closed I can branch the return, plug it or go beananimal. That seems like a good plan.
The decision is whether to drill a 1 1/2 inch hole into the acrylic of the overflow from the factory OR to assume the return will be enough and drill the overflow after the fact if I determine it is still needed. The overflow dims will be 6" wide and 25" long so should have roughly 3100gph flow. That leaves 5" in the front from which to get the drill in which would be beyond tight. Another thing is I could make the overflow taper to the far left front edge if I don't go closed loop which will look better.
A little more context for those who haven't heard of them- a Calfo Manifold is basically taking your return or closed loop return and using pvc make an internal outline of your tank with several t connections then putting loc-line into those outlets. It allows you to have returns staggered all around the tank and avoids back siphoning power outage concerns with side or bottom drilling. Point is to make sure those are strong enough with the amount of flow from the overflow.
Lot of spontaneous mind dump here but please let me know your thoughts on drilling that intake bulkhead for the overflow. My initial though was I can plug it if I don't go that route, but if I don't need it- would be better to not have it there in the first place.

OP
OP
I

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, not there though. Must be a post limit thing, like getting to for sell forums on the other site. I need to find some other threads and do the "nice tank", "looking good", "yes, skimmate does stink" thing get my post count up I guess.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, not there though. Must be a post limit thing, like getting to for sell forums on the other site. I need to find some other threads and do the "nice tank", "looking good", "yes, skimmate does stink" thing get my post count up I guess.

yea good point, i was like how is he missing this?!?! dang hopefully they dont take that away from me, i need to get my post count up hahaha

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! Awesome. My tank display room WAS the dining room! LOL!

OP
OP
I

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update

Sorry for no updates, but figured I would wait until I had some more serious progress. After playing around with sketchup for the first time I have a rough diagram of the room. Bit of a learning curve on this program :)

New tank is going to be the one integrated into the corner with drywall and existing cutout. Scale is off on how close they are together (they're closer). Intend to join the two in some fashion with cabinetry and some form of integrated desk/work station.

OP
OP
I

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, without pictures it didn't happen, so here it is, now it is stand building time.

has this nice hybrid bracing, very clean

starphire on all sides and a pvc bottom, very clear. Bottom is cool too, totally solid all the way across no lip from the trim. Happy with the job DSA did though they were a little difficult to communicate with. Brian and 3CC on the other hand was not and made things much easier.

OP
OP
I

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's now in the house thanks to several buddies including one who got in touch with a lift gate truck. I called around and am going to rent a material lift once the stand is in place so we will just need to slide it over- it's too dang heavy!
I'm also placing an order for a custom build from CeramEco the Vida rock guys to cover the overflow. The Marco Rock I got is too thick.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She's a biggun!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice system for sure. I plan to do something like this in my next house because my wife and I both like a lot of the fish that are not reef safe but also enjoy the reef. Dinning rooms are over rated.

OP
OP
I

Inigomontoya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice system for sure. I plan to do something like this in my next house because my wife and I both like a lot of the fish that are not reef safe but also enjoy the reef. Dinning rooms are over rated.

I agree! Wife called it the fish room the other day, SCORE! :bigsmile:

new custom tank build, replaced a/c compressor, wife graduate tuition issues, etc has made me feel like this guy:

I had an electrician out to add a few more outlets and put in gfci breakers. Short version -big mistake! The breakers started tripping immediately which stressed me out as I assumed they were working properly and half my systems were bad. As I troubleshot the problems I realized that flipping a light on upstairs would trip the breaker on a different circuit, for the new tank that wasn't even near water yet. Basically the wiring was sharing neutrals or grounds and all fubar. So...
The electrician was pretty stand up about it and switched out the GFCI breakers for GFCI outlets without any additional money and cross my fingers, so far so good.

Next step was to get someone out to replace all the drywall that had been ripped out by the electrician. I got to talking with them and they were also able to do the cutout where the side of the tank will be located.

Before

During

After

Painting should be done by end of the week.

The stand has been moving along really well and I have been very happy with the workmanship to date, updates to follow!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA, pretty cool!
That said all the cool kids live in Houston.:rockon:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back