What aquariums have you been too

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, Ca 4 nights a week. Its my favorit, but I'm biased. Also been to Monterey Bay, and The Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Oregon. I really enjoyed them both.

Mattsaddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been 25 years since I have lived in St. Louis if that is what you are referring too. My thought would be is when I am at these exhibits they are so bland. I would rather see a big tank with coral and reef safe fish of different varieties and then a big tank with predator, and then some smaller tanks. It is odd that I can walk into my LFS and see more variety and fish then I can see in an aquarium. My suggestion would be to run an Public Aquarium like a business, cut frags and sell them instead of looking for donations and charging a hefty fee at the front door;)
thats how it is at the virginia beach aquarium. they have no coral.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh tons! Shedd and Chattanooga are the best IMO.

Last one I visited was the Roanoke aquarium here in NC...got to do the whole sleep over thing with my daughters GS :)
11016095_10206388777175851_2715293861742557714_n.jpg

Pretty standard aquarium, not a whole lot of corals...best part was the Sea turtle rescues...

11173338_10206388779775916_3217975245193869838_n.jpg

10404242_10206388780255928_586976341367980642_n.jpg

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the aquarium at the Pittsburgh zoo for me. It's not bad, but I don't have anything to compare it to. The tanks are usually very clean and there are a good amount of them. The penguins always get the biggest crowd, which is fine for me because I want to see the fish and corals lol.
2016-09-11-18-27-09.jpg 2016-09-11-18-26-16.jpg 2016-09-11-18-22-51.jpg 2016-09-11-18-21-59.jpg 2016-09-11-18-19-40.jpg 2016-09-11-18-21-13.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats how it is at the virginia beach aquarium. they have no coral.

Yes I agree from what I have seen most of the public aquariums do not have the eye catching coral displays. I wonder why. I would think that if they did, there would be more attention for the public about the disappearing coral reefs.:)

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been 25 years since I have lived in St. Louis if that is what you are referring too.
My memory doesn't go back 25 years :D. I know they have a small shark and stingray pool and maybe some small tanks. Hopefully the new aquarium at Union Station will be good.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My memory doesn't go back 25 years :D. I know they have a small shark and stingray pool and maybe some small tanks. Hopefully the new aquarium at Union Station will be good.

Ahhh I think I read somewhere that there was going to be a aquarium at union station. Thank you for confirming the read. That should be pretty cool

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually worked at the New England Aquarium in Boston, MA for 2 years as an events manager (Private parties/events after aquarium hours).. Growing up in Boston I have visited it hundreds of times so it was a dream come true to get to work there when I was in my early days. I've also been to the Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT (the only time ever seeing and being up close to a Beluga Whale...Really cool) . The Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, CT. The Dolphin Research Center in Marathon, FL (if that counts), Theater of the Sea in Islamorada, FL, The Key West Aquarium in Key West, FL, The Newport Aquarium in Newport, KY (Not Impressed), The Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium in Phoenix, AZ (Again not impressed).

I feel so gipped. I was just in Mystic and Norwalk for business and looking for things to do in my downtime but didn't know they had aquariums. Bummer. Going to talk to the boss about a return trip.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree from what I have seen most of the public aquariums do not have the eye catching coral displays. I wonder why. I would think that if they did, there would be more attention for the public about the disappearing coral reefs.:)

They actually made a point of talking about this at a behind the scenes tour I went on at Aquarium of the Pacific. They pointed out a tank with coral and said, "You'll notice this one does not have the coral inserts the other tanks have." They said they would have to take too much coral from the sea to fill up the tanks and that goes against what they are trying to do. The tanks with coral and without also have very different setups, such as light. They wouldn't be able to put the proper light over all the tanks. A lot of their fish is also not "coral friendly" so they felt it went against their conservation efforts to put them in the same captive environment.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually made a point of talking about this at a behind the scenes tour I went on at Aquarium of the Pacific. They pointed out a tank with coral and said, "You'll notice this one does not have the coral inserts the other tanks have." They said they would have to take too much coral from the sea to fill up the tanks and that goes against what they are trying to do. The tanks with coral and without also have very different setups, such as light. They wouldn't be able to put the proper light over all the tanks. A lot of their fish is also not "coral friendly" so they felt it went against their conservation efforts to put them in the same captive environment.

I can see that. I am surprised that some of the aquarium do not have a coral farms to propagate and sell to raise funds for operation besides donations?

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot which but there was a aquarium that was actually doing just that (growing propagating coral)
The problem is they need beautiful displays now and that's probably why they would need to put full colonies instead of frags and letting them grow out
Besides for the point where water needs to be better and no medications separate systems etc $$. Cost to much for them when most people wouldn't even see the difference
Thats one of the reasons i loved the aquarium in Mexico it had huge displays full of coral

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that. I am surprised that some of the aquarium do not have a coral farms to propagate and sell to raise funds for operation besides donations?

If I recall correctly, ReefGen is associated with the Riverhead, LI aquarium . . .

~Bruce

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Georgia Aquarium- great aquarium has a huge diversity of tanks. Been twice my son loves it.

Sea Life Charlotte- pretty good aquarium. It's right in the middle of a mall. Good entertainment for my son and I while the wife checked out the mall.

Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokeys- very nice exhibits and love seeing the 15 foot skimmer there. I want one. Lol

Maui Ocean Center- this is my favorite. Everything is saltwater and the diversity of fish and coral is outstanding.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back