What are the "bread and butter" corals?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the "bread and butter" corals, ones that every shop should carry and every reefer should try at least once.

The Challenge:

Name one coral in each "category":

SPS
LPS
Soft

Extra credit:

List three corals!!!

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You looking for a trade name or just species?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bread and butter corals sell for pennies...you're going to likely lose money in the learning process. If it's worth the lesson you believe you'll learn go for it but just keep that in mind.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it really depends on your market.

I think there's very good money in things like Euphyllia, Zoas, Mushrooms. All corals you can grow somewhat quickly, are hardy, and people love them. Toadstools are also in demand.

There's crazy money in SPS but your customers will be very on the ball and your reputation will be on the line. They also grow a bit slower and carry a ton more risk.

One of my local guys mentioned the trends - he used to not be able to stock torches they were so in demand. Then it was high end Zoas. Then it was Acans and mushrooms. Now I think he says it's going back to SPS. I wonder if the economy was booming and was flooded with newer customers, but with things tightening up, its mostly the SPS guys driving sales.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PC Rainbow

Sunny D zoa

Blasto merletti

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a good and even profitable idea: focus on rare and expensive zoas. Super easy to grow and valuable if you get the right ones.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really consider that actually (focusing on rare and expensive zoas). Parameters can fluctuate, they're resilient and colors won't change dramatically due to light so they'll appear to be what you bought them as, fragging them is very simple, and they take up such little space!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that no one will have for the next few months that I paid 10X too much for, was grown entirely under REALLY expensive lights ran at a fraction of their capability and has a fancy name.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOLKS THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CONTINUATION OF THE BLOODBATH THAT WAS MY LAST THREAD!!!

Just wanting to know what are some industry standards!!!
I’m going to throw something out here since you’re making several posts about the in and outs of starting a coral business. Join a local club, meet with people who are already doing it. See if someone is willing to be a mentor and let you see their setup in person. A lot more could be learned by seeing an operation first hand and talking shop with the proprietor. Plus, most people love to walk you around and share their passion as well as failures and success. There may be some apprehension about giving away too many tricks of the trade, but you’ll get some solid knowledge. Remember to buy something while you’re there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back