What are the "bread and butter" corals?

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Depends on your area… it’s not gonna be acros I can tell you that much! Most people hate them and struggle to keep them alive.. zoa’s, shrooms and torches are the hot ticket items in my general area… I’m a stick head and it’s super hard to find some lol..
Agreed. I’m hunting OG 2008-2012 acros and can’t find many.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS- a nice fluffy Acro, though I love my Stylophora
LPS-A large Goni colony . Bonus points if it’s a Glitterbomb
Softie- love my Long polyp Toadstool
From my corals in tank I’ll go with my Burnin Banana Stylos cause right now they’re the brightest SPS I’ve got
For my LPS any one of my Gonis
Softie, see above
and my RBTA, cause why not 9D060E69-2822-485F-8405-BD2B14F5DEF0.jpeg
A2352BF3-4343-4F5C-8AC1-60DA59291CEB.jpeg
F284D44B-DCC8-43AA-A3E5-D2EF1EB233B8.jpeg
6F573025-737B-4320-86BE-FDE981BF1BC4.jpeg

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As A hobbyist at it for a few years now, as much as I enjoy corals it’s very hard for me to justify buying higher-end corals. Personally, I’ll stick with things that seem reasonably priced.
I don't care about name brand stuff, I just buy what I like. The bread and butter stuff is popular for a reason. Hardy, colorful, easy to grow. I love the way gsp looks on the back wall. For the lfs: High end stuff has a nice markup but the bread and butter stuff keeps the lights on. The most expensive piece I own was $60 and it was for a specific frogspawn I had been looking for forever and unable to find. Most of my stuff was $10-$25

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care about name brand stuff, I just buy what I like. The bread and butter stuff is popular for a reason. Hardy, colorful, easy to grow. I love the way gsp looks on the back wall. For the lfs: High end stuff has a nice markup but the bread and butter stuff keeps the lights on. The most expensive piece I own was $60 and it was for a specific frogspawn I had been looking for forever and unable to find. Most of my stuff was $10-$25
Exactly. I’m still just trying to build a great looking tank. No one that sees the tank is going to say “ooh you have the super-duper-rainbow-lobotomy-acro”.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I truly hope this doesn't come off as harsh or sharp in any way but your knowledge regarding practically every aspect of what you want to do seems to be completely unknown to you. If you're serious, sit down assess the market and current economic state, learn everything you can about starting a business since you seemed unaware how taxes came into play, and make a well though out plan as to how to accomplish this endeavor. You've asked very basic questions in your previous thread as well as this one. Why haven't you already researched most of this? You're depending instead on strangers online who all gave different opinions on what you should be growing and the difficulty. I think you really need to study up on marketing, business in general, economics, the way this particular industry operates, projected ROI and other returns/debts, and the associated legalities.
I think you should tediously study those topics if you actually want to do this. Later after having gained much more knowledge, you can as others who have done similar things specific questions unlike "what are the best corals for me to grow".
Doesn't sound harsh, just has nothing to do with the thread or my intentions. Did I not already reply to you IN THIS THREAD that my goal was to "have fun and advance my hobby"???

This thread has NOTHING to do with the "market" or "economic state". And you are right, I don't know anything about how the taxes of owning a business work. . . cause I don't own a business, and NEVER claimed I was serious about starting one. At the recommendation of other I have looked into it, but was never my expressed intent.

I hate to be that guy but @mods can I please get all this business talk out of my thread?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If that was directed at my comment, I apologize for upsetting you. The phrase bread and butter is widely used in describing one’s main source of income. That and some of your other posts all relate to starting a side hustle selling coral from home. I felt this was another post related to that discussion and was offering sound advice based in an attempt to help you with some of your questions. I did not name any corals as one’s bread and butter coral can be wildly different for many reasons.
I see, I guess I should have used a term that was more clearly defined, or at least given more context. By bread and butter I meant "an everyday or ordinary person or thing."

I was also taking inspiration from this thread:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound harsh, just has nothing to do with the thread or my intentions. Did I not already reply to you IN THIS THREAD that my goal was to "have fun and advance my hobby"???

This thread has NOTHING to do with the "market" or "economic state". And you are right, I don't know anything about how the taxes of owning a business work. . . cause I don't own a business, and NEVER claimed I was serious about starting one. At the recommendation of other I have looked into it, but was never my expressed intent.

I hate to be that guy but @mods can I please get all this business talk out of my thread?
You have repeatedly mentioned selling the frags. That is called doing business. Or are you giving them away for free? That would also be business (although a form referred to as charity).

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti digi
Candy cane
Clove polyp

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone else feeling some tension? I am going to step in and kindly ask everyone to step back from the pointed comments. If you still have questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me directly by sending me a PM. In the mean time, let's talk about every day and ordinary corals.

~Peace

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else feeling some tension? I am going to step in and kindly ask everyone to step back from the pointed comments. If you still have questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me directly by sending me a PM. In the mean time, let's talk about every day and ordinary corals.

~Peace
You don’t like clove polyps? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a different perspective on the question and, therefore, a different answer. Bread and butter to me is what coral would I have multiplies of to have continuity in the aquascape. When I look for a unique coral, I also look to see the stock of these corals that I keep multiples of. I choose to purchase my rare coral at the vendor that also has several nice bread and butter corals.

Softie: sympodium

lPS: Alveopora

SPS: no luck yet

LPS I keep several fox corals, blasto merletti, candy canes, goniopora, and alveopora. So it was hatd to choose this, but I feel the Alveopora really give the tank that swaying unified reef look, and I can always squeeze in another Alveopora.

Blue/green sympodium actually comes in several variants, it is uncommon to find, and a bit finicky to establish. But after that, it makes a wonderful groundcover between other corals. I also have several asterospicularia that gill this role, but I am always on the lookout for some really green sympodium. Of my five frags, one is blue/grey, one is fairly brown, two are blue green with brown fringe, one one is stocky and predominantly a wonderful green. Always looking for that green morph.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, kind of a tough one actually. I know what those bread and butter corals are for me. But for stores and in general... who knows?! I only have what I like and grow them into colonies but most people are chasing names and collecting. I typically end up trading with friends or giving away frags or selling very cheap.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps - Green Slimer

LPS - Raja Rampage Chalice (close second to red and green Favia)

Soft - Eagle Eye Zoas

These are some classics that are hardy, attractive, and easy to obtain.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back