OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All I said was I wanted to get good at growing and fragging and what are some industry standards. . . I did NOT say anything about wanting to know what is hot right now, what has a high profit margin, how other reefers are running a business.

I wanted to know in your opinion what are "bread and butter" corals! I live in a small town with little in the way of coral variety. I hear people on this forum (and other places on the web) talk about Green Slimers and Red Planets etc.. . . NEVER seen one in my town. PLEASE don't misunderstand I am not trying to corner some "untapped market" here, rather I just want to know what are the basics (a lot of these "basics" I have probably never kept or seen).

If I want to be a carpenter I would probably start by building a chair or something. . . not building a 5 story mansion with hand carved banisters. . .

Am I a crazy person????? Am I losing my mind!!!

Last edited:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I said was I wanted to get good at growing and fragging and what are some industry standards. . . I did NOT say anything about wanting to know what is hot right now, what has a high profit margin, how other reefers are running a business.

I wanted to know in your opinion what are "bread and butter" corals! I live in a small town with little in the way of coral variety. I hear people on this forum (and other places on the web) talk about Green Slimers and Red Planets etc.. . . NEVER seen one in my town. PLEASE don't misunderstand I am not trying to corner some "untapped market" here, rather I just want to know what are the basics (a lot of these "basics" I have probably never kept or seen).

If I want to be a carpenter I would probably start by building a chair or something. . . no building a 5 story mansion with hand carved banisters. . .

We're giving you lots of good examples, not sure why you are getting in a huff. Breathe, brother!

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that still beats trying to grow LPS, SPS, and softies in the same tank for fragging. A tank full of every desirable zoa would require very little.
That I would agree with. Someone does it in Toronto and they basically just farm Zoas. I think the Zoa trends have slowed down a little.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more!

ever store needs a surplus of Home Wreckers, Indo Golds, and OG Weeping Willow!
It would be awesome to have a lfs that had high end stuff that I could see in person. Of course then I'd probably have to go back to work.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rock flower anemones should be a staple! :)

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that it varies wildly by region. What often happens is that local reefers trade among themselves, and the lfs. This creates a saturation of certain coral in the area that may be rare in others.
"Bread and Butter" coral are typically cheap, easy to grow, easy to move, low profit, and high volume sales, imo. Low/mid end zoas, mushrooms, birdsnest, and candy cane (trumpet) coral come to mind.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My opinion is that it varies wildly by region. What often happens is that local reefers trade among themselves, and the lfs. This creates a saturation of certain coral in the area that may be rare in others.
"Bread and Butter" coral are typically cheap, easy to grow, easy to move, low profit, and high volume sales, imo. Low/mid end zoas, mushrooms, birdsnest, and candy cane (trumpet) coral come to mind.
I agree, but what do you think about using those corals you describe to practice on (growing, fragging, shipping, etc.) and then give away?

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but what do you think about using those corals you describe to practice on (growing, fragging, shipping, etc.) and then give away?
Oh, absolutely! That is exactly what I do with a lot of them, minus shipping. I personally value making new reefing friendships, and the money becomes unnecessary to a point. We just give each other coral when we see each other. I also give some away at frag swaps to help out newer reefers.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As A hobbyist at it for a few years now, as much as I enjoy corals it’s very hard for me to justify buying higher-end corals. Personally, I’ll stick with things that seem reasonably priced.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
SPS Pink lemonade-copps cali - bonsai

LPS Acans -

Soft Leathers, colt, sinularia

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I want to be a carpenter I would probably start by building a chair or something. . . not building a 5 story mansion with hand carved banisters. . .

If that was directed at my comment, I apologize for upsetting you. The phrase bread and butter is widely used in describing one’s main source of income. That and some of your other posts all relate to starting a side hustle selling coral from home. I felt this was another post related to that discussion and was offering sound advice based in an attempt to help you with some of your questions. I did not name any corals as one’s bread and butter coral can be wildly different for many reasons.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that still beats trying to grow LPS, SPS, and softies in the same tank for fragging. A tank full of every desirable zoa would require very little.
Also, my experience in ordering online is that I’ve had zero doas or barely alive zoas come in. Acros and lps on the other hand are another story

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly hope this doesn't come off as harsh or sharp in any way but your knowledge regarding practically every aspect of what you want to do seems to be completely unknown to you. If you're serious, sit down assess the market and current economic state, learn everything you can about starting a business since you seemed unaware how taxes came into play, and make a well though out plan as to how to accomplish this endeavor. You've asked very basic questions in your previous thread as well as this one. Why haven't you already researched most of this? You're depending instead on strangers online who all gave different opinions on what you should be growing and the difficulty. I think you really need to study up on marketing, business in general, economics, the way this particular industry operates, projected ROI and other returns/debts, and the associated legalities.
I think you should tediously study those topics if you actually want to do this. Later after having gained much more knowledge, you can as others who have done similar things specific questions unlike "what are the best corals for me to grow".

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your area… it’s not gonna be acros I can tell you that much! Most people hate them and struggle to keep them alive.. zoa’s, shrooms and torches are the hot ticket items in my general area… I’m a stick head and it’s super hard to find some lol..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back