What does the "average" reef tank look like?

What level do you consider your reef?

• New

Votes: 70 17.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 72 17.5%
  • Average

Votes: 197 47.8%
  • Above Average

Votes: 73 17.7%

• Total voters

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a category? LOL If there is, I would consider mine average for a newbie. -common corals, common fish, and common equipment's.

Above average would be the guys who do custom stuff on their plumbings and have high end/tech automation's and equipment's,.

_MG_4996.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, sil40sx ... Above or below average has less to do with how many dollars were spent on each high-end coral or bit of custom equipment, and more to do with the meticulous care that goes into making sure that each creature is allowed to be the best it can be. It's not so much "how much it cost" as _what_you_did_ with it.

Your reef is something for other "newbies", and even some folks who've been in the hobby for more than a few years to aspire to!

~Bruce

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common or not, the coloration you have there is great. Definitely, above in my eyes.

Is there a category? LOL If there is, I would consider mine average for a newbie. -common corals, common fish, and common equipment's.

Above average would be the guys who do custom stuff on their plumbings and have high end/tech automation's and equipment's,.

_MG_4996.jpg

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, sil40sx ... Above or below average has less to do with how many dollars were spent on each high-end coral or bit of custom equipment, and more to do with the meticulous care that goes into making sure that each creature is allowed to be the best it can be. It's not so much "how much it cost" as _what_you_did_ with it.

Your reef is something for other "newbies", and even some folks who've been in the hobby for more than a few years to aspire to!

~Bruce

Oops sorry, I forgot to mention that it was just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Common or not, the coloration you have there is great. Definitely, above in my eyes.

Thank you!

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is below average 28 over 3 months old turning into a full time QT while I build my 50G w/sump. Investing in equip to try and do it "right" while taking my time and focusing on fast growing LPS, Soft and Nem once I pass cycle to have a "full look" without having a huge bio load.
IMG_1480839153.766853.jpg

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1807.JPG

I put down new. Definitely below average. Haha. I have literally lost half of whatever I put in this tank/attempt to put in. Each cause of death different then the last (bleach coral, water shock, feeding issue, algae covered coral either lost by algae or me trying to clean it... leather coral broken to bits by crabs..!.. possible issue with anemones foot now. Snails lost to falling and other crabs death unknown.).

I stock the tank a piece at a time. Trying to prevent more chaos.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back