What is a Crazy Idea you had that Actually Worked

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From time to time we might have this idea, which might seem either impossible or just downright crazy, but we go with it and it actually works out. I am wondering what is something that you thought was impossible for your tank or something crazy you thought of, and it actually worked out for your tank.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure its crazy, but its been a road as im sure it has been for all of us. But I run a simplistic tank so to speak. I only have a hob filter, and hob skimmer. No sump, no fuge. I was sold what I was thought was monti digi, but turns out I was sold a green milli acro. The tank was only a few months old at the time, but the acro never bleached and continued to encrust, all throughout newbie issues, dinos, aiptasia, its still kicking to this day. I never ever intended to have anything besides lps corals and anemones. I always though sps would just die. And I havent looked back since. I have 4 different gonis doing great, several acro species, and they all are still growing and encrusting doing their acro thing. So i guess it was crazy to keep the milli, but here we are.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon reef that slides out

D1502485-A1D4-4CEF-B63E-EE28EBBB6121.jpeg
021E9418-552C-4C3F-99E6-2736F4551C87.jpeg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of just “floating” or hanging my canopy from the ceiling, I decided to install an electric winch in the attic and a few pulleys on the canopy that raises and lowers the whole canopy. No lifting, no removing, just hold a button to raise, and another button to lower. I have vaulted ceilings in that room, so I can raise it almost 11’, which gives about 5’-6’ of clearance IF needed.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making acrylic aquariums, filters, light systems, overflows, and skimmers for a business. Don't worry I got over it and moved into the construction industry to earn a living lol!

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, that is so cool. Wish you hadn’t shown that. Now I’ve got to do that too. What kind of railing system did you use to handle the weight? Is your plumbing on flex hoses so they can move in and out with the tank. Sorry, so many questions. Is there a build thread for it?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that is so cool. Wish you hadn’t shown that. Now I’ve got to do that too. What kind of railing system did you use to handle the weight? Is your plumbing on flex hoses so they can move in and out with the tank. Sorry, so many questions. Is there a build thread for it?
Still going through it myself, amazing build!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of just “floating” or hanging my canopy from the ceiling, I decided to install an electric winch in the attic and a few pulleys on the canopy that raises and lowers the whole canopy. No lifting, no removing, just hold a button to raise, and another button to lower. I have vaulted ceilings in that room, so I can raise it almost 11’, which gives about 5’-6’ of clearance IF needed.
Do you have a video of this? i'd love to see it in action

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going through it myself, amazing build!

Found it. Absolutely amazing. Having the right floor plan is a must. would be fun to try doing it.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a video of this? i'd love to see it in action
Here is my “build” thread…

Here is an old video when I just got it up and running. I’ll redo do it one of these days… just over 3yrs, no issues…

1674147097272.jpeg

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my “build” thread…

Here is an old video when I just got it up and running. I’ll redo do it one of these days… just over 3yrs, no issues…

Wow, that's really neat!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back