What is a Crazy Idea you had that Actually Worked

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my sump in the basement which makes this possible. I have 3 sumps. Filter sump. 75 gallon fuge sump and a sump for the return pumps and residual water collection.

I have a Brute can tied into my system.
1/4 RO line gravity fills it from the top of the water level of my first sump (roller mat and skimmer).
Drains out an overflow in the Brute can to the last sump (return pumps) at a trickle.
Water change time. Turn off 1/4 inch feed which removes the Brute from system.
MAG drive pump inside Brute for recirculation/mixing. Twist a few valves the MAG drains it into the house sewer.
Another valve fills it with fresh RO. RO reservoir is over top of the Brute.
Add salt.
Check salt level.
Reconnect to system.
Water change done. Twist some valves and scoop some salt. That's it.

My water changes do not shock the system and I add my doses into the Brute as well. So there is never really a fast change in parameters.

PensacolaReefKeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure its crazy, but its been a road as im sure it has been for all of us. But I run a simplistic tank so to speak. I only have a hob filter, and hob skimmer. No sump, no fuge. I was sold what I was thought was monti digi, but turns out I was sold a green milli acro. The tank was only a few months old at the time, but the acro never bleached and continued to encrust, all throughout newbie issues, dinos, aiptasia, its still kicking to this day. I never ever intended to have anything besides lps corals and anemones. I always though sps would just die. And I havent looked back since. I have 4 different gonis doing great, several acro species, and they all are still growing and encrusting doing their acro thing. So i guess it was crazy to keep the milli, but here we are.
My tank is very similar! What HOB skimmer do you use?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon reef that slides out

D1502485-A1D4-4CEF-B63E-EE28EBBB6121.jpeg
021E9418-552C-4C3F-99E6-2736F4551C87.jpeg
Well now, look at that. Coolest idea ever!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazy idea:

if we rinse out 2 million dollars of people's reef tank sandbeds in tap water, for hours on end until it's blasted completely clean of waste AND bacteria it used to have, things get better vs worse.

the whole world, that's 100% of all reefers before the thread, said it would get worse. Don't poll the public for validity, make a work thread to check validity of any reef claim.

work thread for proof, tap water rinsing is awesome and allows us to do all kinds of beneficial things like move reefs, upgrade them, switch sandbeds instantly, fix invasions:

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it. Absolutely amazing. Having the right floor plan is a must. would be fun to try doing it.

And having the right skilled craftsman who knows structural engineering! I'll admit this was not my crazy idea originally but my home remodeling builder who is amazing. May be I was crazy to trust him 100%. The slides are industrial strength and rated to carry 800 pounds each. They cost a lot!! Definitely this is not a project for the inexperienced .

The flexible tubing is over 20 years old and holding up. In fact everything is holding up. I did apply silicone lube to the slides 3 years ago when I redid my tank. But I'm blown away how everything still works well.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure its crazy, but its been a road as im sure it has been for all of us. But I run a simplistic tank so to speak. I only have a hob filter, and hob skimmer. No sump, no fuge. I was sold what I was thought was monti digi, but turns out I was sold a green milli acro. The tank was only a few months old at the time, but the acro never bleached and continued to encrust, all throughout newbie issues, dinos, aiptasia, its still kicking to this day. I never ever intended to have anything besides lps corals and anemones. I always though sps would just die. And I havent looked back since. I have 4 different gonis doing great, several acro species, and they all are still growing and encrusting doing their acro thing. So i guess it was crazy to keep the milli, but here we are.

Ive had successful tanks that were stupid simple. You need 4 ingredients for a successful tank: good water, light, flow, and good food. There are many routes to achieve this. Ive had nanos that were nothing but a HOB, some lights, a heater, and plenty of water changes.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back