What Is Something That Is Overrated In The Hobby?

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get hammered but here it goes. Fleece rollers and UV.
I don't see why you should get hammered; your opinion is valid. I just don't share it.

I've been struggling with a dino problem. Not a massive outbreak compared to some I've seen, but enough to smother (and in a couple of cases kill) corals and zoas. I reduced the light intensity, reduced the duration, turned off the white light, balanced the nitrate/phosphate, blew it off the rocks with a baster, syphoned the stuff away, etc. etc. It would always return after a few hours.

Last Tuesday I fitted a TMC Titan UV. Wednesday morning there were no visible dinos. Seriously. The effect was astonishing.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing any cycle to 2ppm ammonia, the biggest fleecing action in reefing (causes fake stalls and quadruple bottle bac sales)

the practice was began by a bottle bac seller and quickly seated into hard fast reefing rules (by the buyers who take direction no matter what, without question) That makes him one of the best marketers I know, no fault in utilizing capitalism creatively even if it’s fleecing the masses and they’re ok with it.

I must have completed over five hundred cycles searchable here. In every case I told them not to dose to 2 ppm, that was key in completing more than five hundred cycles for others.

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby there isn't just one way to success, though some people will try to tell you that. There are many opinions and methods to try, many species to keep and many brands and products to use. And while most of them work well or are nice to keep, some of them aren't as good as people give them credit to be. That being said, what do you think are some of the most overrated aspects of the reefkeeping hobby?

I'll go first

#1: Ecotech vortechs, while they are definitely a quality product, $800 is alot to pay for what is simply a wireless powerhead.

#2: Acans, controversial but favias are arguably much better

#3: Chromis, that school won't last for long.

What's your list?
YouTube videos with thumbnails of artificially excited reefers in ridiculous poses -- followed by blah blah blah with little to no useful information.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most over rated thing for me is chasing numbers to get "perfect" balance. No such thing as perfect IMO. Even in nature water chemistry changes with the tides. IMO your better Looking at your coral more rather than looking at numbers.

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing any cycle to 2ppm ammonia, the biggest fleecing action in reefing (causes fake stalls and quadruple bottle bac sales)

the practice was began by a bottle bac seller and quickly seated into hard fast reefing rules (by the buyers who take direction no matter what, without question) That makes him one of the best marketers I know, no fault in utilizing capitalism creatively even if it’s fleecing the masses and they’re ok with it.

I must have completed over five hundred cycles searchable here. In every case I told them not to dose to 2 ppm, that was key in completing more than five hundred cycles for others.
Curious what your method is?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

soon that will be a hundred pages of testless cycling. There has always been a way to cycle reef tanks without testing at all, and that’s 100% happy outcomes. The reason we were never told that way has to do with old cycling science vs new

in my opinion it’s a lot like full size reefing vs nano reefing, remember back in the 90s when the rules said no small reef was stable, they’d crash? We can see today that never was true, the hobby just didn’t have the techniques to run small reefs then but the rules were absolutely unequivocally firm: all reef sages held fast and agreed, only large tanks were ok to own. When Julian Sprung did a fifteen gallon setup the world nearly flipped magnetic poles in amazement. And nowadays, 3 gallon setups and smaller are all over this board, they’re all over nano-reef.com, we keep five thousand dollars of sps in a fishbowl here.

same progression for cycling science. Now that digital nh3 meters, seneye systems, are online by the thousands we have uncovered an inherent timing ALL common arrangements for reef tank cycles share (they are done by day ten, or sooner, maximum wait time is like the common cycling charts ammonia line shows a drop on day ten)

the new cycling science is that all reefs are linked to the known completion date due to the degree of surface area they employ and the common ways they’re importing bacteria. Old cycling science only had api, and old rules for what ammonia must read, so the cycles were all over the place and never apparently linked in timing. We don’t need a seneye, or any ammonia testing at all, due to this rule of linkage. Not one single system in that entire thread was told to dose to 2ppm and most importantly: an exact calendar ready date was listed for every system. We didn’t wait and wait for a test kit to state when the cycle was ready: they got an exact date as soon as they described the setup (I counted to a calendar date roughly ten days after they started with their imports, named that as the cycle end date lol=complex, right?)

sorry there was no shorter way to describe the new method

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely mega overrated

clean up crews

source for claim: the nuisance algae forum. What is that, five hundred reef tank help posts that already use clean up crews from the start, and are still wrecked? If a snail decides to eat algae for one in ten thousand reefers we get twenty years of articles that clean up crews prevent algae issues. Nuisance algae forum entrants disagree, they’re the actual other 9,999

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely mega overrated

clean up crews

source for claim: the nuisance algae forum. What is that, five hundred reef tank help posts that already use clean up crews from the start, and are still wrecked? If a snail decides to eat algae for one in ten thousand reefers we get twenty years of articles that clean up crews prevent algae issues. Nuisance algae forum entrants disagree, they’re the actual other 9,999
Clean up crews definitely work. But a clean up crew is anything imo that eats algae. Tangs, urchins and snails.

My sons tank had a haze if GHA growing all over the rocks. 4 margaritas, 2 turbos and a urchin later its so 85-90% gone. Now they may stop eating it but they cleaned it up in 3 days.

Now it is a small tank with little rock work and where I can’t have tangs.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding another....Sand. You get sand for looks and added bacteria, then you have to adjust your flow to not blow it away. Lets add a fish or two to sift through it and a bunch of snails to clean it, and in the end you still end up with dirty sand to clean and replace as you end up slowly siphoning it out with every water change. I think you negate every bit of beneficial bacteria with everything you add to clean it. I will preach bare bottom all day long lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Clean up crews add waste to sand, they don't remove it, some fish might remove it if present by sifting and casting it up into the water for filter removal but basically sandbeds are catch and hold diapers in a reef tank. Try to fill them as slowly as possible

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Garlic and UV sterilizers

Just my opinion and not trying to be combative.
Why are some people so down on UV sterilizers? I know the proven science for UV’s is spotty but the anecdotal evidence in people’s tank is overwhelmingly positive. Here on R2R there are hundreds of people posting positive experiences using UV for algae and Protozoa control. These same people are true believers in what UV can and has done in their tanks as they have seen the results.

Just because someone doesn’t use UV or need a UV sterilizer for their set up doesn’t mean they don’t work. If a tank doesn’t have an algae problem, need clearer water or need Protozoa control, thats awesome. It obviously doesn’t need a UV sterilizer but there are a lot of tanks that have those problems. I am quite sure there are not hundreds and hundreds of people who have invested in a UV, had the correct flow and the proper wattage and it did not work for them although there are some. Fact: UV sterilizers work if used properly in most cases and are a huge benefit to thousands of reef and FOWLR tanks all over the world. Just ask the thousands of reefers around the world who use them.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans grow skeleton first and won't encrust on rockwork, plus they only really come in red/orange and are just not my thing, favias are superior.
Acans come in more colors than just red/orange. I have acans that are green/blue/ orange
and red/orange- yellow/blue
And blue orange red yellow

Favia coral are definitely beautiful coral but I do feel they are liked for different reasons.
I like Favia because of colors and mostly they throw out long feeder tentacles

But I like Acans because they are fluffy and show movement with water flow. And also due to different colorations

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. I felt that a little bit

It's something that I've only just realised. My onespot foxface was my first fish, added a little over a year ago. He's grown a lot, has a good shape and, so far as I can tell, is healthy and happy. Or at least happy-ish.

Trouble is, I never see the wretched thing. I 'scaped my rockwork to give plenty of hiding places, and the foxface uses all of them. It can swim from one side of the tank to the other without being seen, so that's what it does. I find myself sneaking into the room hoping to catch a glimpse of the thing. What's worse is that my Singapore Angel likes to hang out with the foxface, so I don't very often see that one either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back