What Is Something That Is Overrated In The Hobby?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion and not trying to be combative.
Why are some people so down on UV sterilizers? I know the proven science for UV’s is spotty but the anecdotal evidence in people’s tank is overwhelmingly positive. Here on R2R there are hundreds of people posting positive experiences using UV for algae and Protozoa control. These same people are true believers in what UV can and has done in their tanks as they have seen the results.

Just because someone doesn’t use UV or need a UV sterilizer for their set up doesn’t mean they don’t work. If a tank doesn’t have an algae problem, need clearer water or need Protozoa control, thats awesome. It obviously doesn’t need a UV sterilizer but there are a lot of tanks that have those problems. I am quite sure there are not hundreds and hundreds of people who have invested in a UV, had the correct flow and the proper wattage and it did not work for them although there are some. Fact: UV sterilizers work if used properly in most cases and are a huge benefit to thousands of reef and FOWLR tanks all over the world. Just ask the thousands of reefers around the world who use them.
I can't speak for others, but I can tell you why I am down on them. First, they won't sterilize both, they can only be used for a single purpose, so pick either parasites, bacteria, or algae. The flow rates need to vary for each purpose. So you need two or three sterilizers as cell walls have different structures. Secondly, if you are fighting parasites, the most common ich reproduces in the sand. So you better hope and pray to every god imaginable that every single tomont that falls off its host makes it to the UV sterilizer before it can fall to the sand. A third reason why they are pretty useless is because aquarium UV sterilizers are greatly undersized. Reason 4, lightbulbs lose their potency very, very quickly. The idea that they last a year and remain effective, is not true. Just turning off and on the unit reduces it's life so they become an unnecessary expansive that has very questionable benefits. Reason 5, thousands of anecdotes mean absolutely nothing, as I can get thousands of reefers around the world to say that garlic fights ich, yet there is not a single piece of credible research that backs it up. Yes, aquarium UV sterilizers are fairly effective in keeping the water clean, but there are numerous, more cost-effective alternatives for that, carbon will do the trick, no to mention Ozone generators.
Btw, you did not seem combative at all, I hope I managed to do the same. Here are just my reasons for not having much faith in aquarium UV sterilizers. Now, if you want to toss $4-5k on a UV unit, then the conversation changes a bit.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't speak for others, but I can tell you why I am down on them. First, they won't sterilize both, they can only be used for a single purpose, so pick either parasites, bacteria, or algae. The flow rates need to vary for each purpose. So you need two or three sterilizers as cell walls have different structures. Secondly, if you are fighting parasites, the most common ich reproduces in the sand. So you better hope and pray to every god imaginable that every single tomont that falls off its host makes it to the UV sterilizer before it can fall to the sand. A third reason why they are pretty useless is because aquarium UV sterilizers are greatly undersized. Reason 4, lightbulbs lose their potency very, very quickly. The idea that they last a year and remain effective, is not true. Just turning off and on the unit reduces it's life so they become an unnecessary expansive that has very questionable benefits. Reason 5, thousands of anecdotes mean absolutely nothing, as I can get thousands of reefers around the world to say that garlic fights ich, yet there is not a single piece of credible research that backs it up. Yes, aquarium UV sterilizers are fairly effective in keeping the water clean, but there are numerous, more cost-effective alternatives for that, carbon will do the trick, no to mention Ozone generators.
Btw, you did not seem combative at all, I hope I managed to do the same. Here are just my reasons for not having much faith in aquarium UV sterilizers. Now, if you want to toss $4-5k on a UV unit, then the conversation changes a bit.

You do mention some very good points. Yes, typically you have to choose algae or Protozoa control. I do agree that UV’s should be oversized, however I can’t count the number of times people put a uv on their tank after getting Ick and in a few weeks the fish are fine. Yes, Ick is still in the tank but under control. Personally I follow several well known and respected individuals here on R2R that I trust as well as many others who advocate the use of UV sterilizers. Their advice plus all the many other individuals success stories is enough for me.
Interestingly enough, I have a 380 gallon tank and am currently in the planning stages For this build. The tank will be heavily stocked with lots of large fish, medium and small fish and corals. The likelihood of Ick is very high. I will be purchasing 2- 150 watt pentair UV sterilizers for this tank and run the flow to achieve 280,000 µw/cm2. This is nearly double the recommended flow of 180,000, but with 2 units I will control both Protozoa and algae. Over kill? Yep but I will be more likely to control a disease or algae outbreak. By the way, I read all the time on this site of people who doubted the effectiveness of UV’s and are now using them. Just my .02 cents and outlook.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do mention some very good points. Yes, typically you have to choose algae or Protozoa control. I do agree that UV’s should be oversized, however I can’t count the number of times people put a uv on their tank after getting Ick and in a few weeks the fish are fine. Yes, Ick is still in the tank but under control. Personally I follow several well known and respected individuals here on R2R that I trust as well as many others who advocate the use of UV sterilizers. Their advice plus all the many other individuals success stories is enough for me.
Interestingly enough, I have a 380 gallon tank and am currently in the planning stages For this build. The tank will be heavily stocked with lots of large fish, medium and small fish and corals. The likelihood of Ick is very high. I will be purchasing 2- 150 watt pentair UV sterilizers for this tank and run the flow to achieve 280,000 µw/cm2. This is nearly double the recommended flow of 180,000, but with 2 units I will control both Protozoa and algae. Over kill? Yep but I will be more likely to control a disease or algae outbreak. By the way, I read all the time on this site of people who doubted the effectiveness of UV’s and are now using them. Just my .02 cents and outlook.
I think that's the only way to go, is overkill. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I prefer not having ich in my tank.
I honestly hope that it works out the way you imagine it. We will just have to disagree on this topic. But yeah, overkill is the way to go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back