What is the fish you regret putting in your tank the most?

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hands down Red Coris Wrasse it is considered reef safe with caution but grows pretty big and makes a mess of the tank flips everything over and I mean everything even medium sized LR. If you have frags or corals that are not encrusting to the rock yet forget about it you are fishing them off the sandbed or bottom daily if not more than once a day. I would recommend this fish for a FOWLR or fish only tanks!

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I most regret ever adding was a Multibarred Angel. I knew it was a risk to add it but he had a sweet tooth for coral. Didn't matter what type either. He ate an SPS colony, went after a Trachyphyllia, and my Zoas. I ultimately caught it by putting the Trachyphyllia in the fish trap. He was so set on eating it that I was able to catch him a 2nd after he escaped from the trap no more than an hour after it got out.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish,wound up killing right at $3000 worth of corals,very difficult to catch,trap or otherwise in a mixed reef with a full tank of live rock.But I finely gotem!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish,wound up killing right at $3000 worth of corals,very difficult to catch,trap or otherwise in a mixed reef with a full tank of live rock.But I finely gotem!

Funny i had one started out fine later found liking for acans. This increased to clam mantle. The clam killed the filefish.

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I worked in a LFS back in TN. We had fish that was brought back to the store because the owner was moving and couldn't take their fish with them. It was beautiful but on the large side, about 4-5". It stayed in the store for about 8 months and the owner asked me if I wanted it. So I took it home and soon after the tormenting started, lol...

It was a Dottyback of some sorts, that's all we knew about it. Dottybacks are suppose to be peaceful community fish. This fish was the spawn of Satan! After years of not knowing, I came across a Google photo title "Royal Devil Dottyback", low and behold, it was my fish!!! Its a Palawan Labracinus cyclophthalmus aka Royal Devil, Fire-tail Devil, LOL.
Labracinus-cyclophthalmus-El-Nido-Palawan.jpg
That fish looks sinister ,, I mean come on it has all the signs of Satan spawn the flame red mowhawk the bulldog jaws of death, that dotty look crazy!!!!LOL

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just curious. What else was he munching on besides acans and zoas?

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef threat was the beautiful and strange Niger Trigger , supposedly one of the more reef safe triggers per personality. His personality was amazing but he immediately went to the path of distruction. They are a very smart and inqusitive species, my Tyree toadstool was his first victim, methodically ramming into it with jaws wide open till he decided to just tear it strait off the rock it sat. Next in the night he would borrow through the sand bed beneath the aquascape designing his new homes the way he liked. Several times through his short tenure he force my male clown to miraculously jump into the overflow for safety. And last but not least one of the more interesting and innocent feats, he was able to find shells in the sand bed and literally place one beside many of the corals in my tank. Awesome fish but not appropriate for my 75 gallon reef. But anyways here a picture I borrowed from Google image search, not of mine but the same.
Niger-Trigger-3.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef threat was the beautiful and strange Niger Trigger , supposedly one of the more reef safe triggers per personality. His personality was amazing but he immediately went to the path of distruction. They are a very smart and inqusitive species, my Tyree toadstool was his first victim, methodically ramming into it with jaws wide open till he decided to just tear it strait off the rock it sat. Next in the night he would borrow through the sand bed beneath the aquascape designing his new homes the way he liked. Several times through his short tenure he force my male clown to miraculously jump into the overflow for safety. And last but not least one of the more interesting and innocent feats, he was able to find shells in the sand bed and literally place one beside many of the corals in my tank. Awesome fish but not appropriate for my 75 gallon reef. But anyways here a picture I borrowed from Google image search, not of mine but the same.
Niger-Trigger-3.jpg

They are smart fish. Mine was a great tank mate. After it started munching on some sps it needed to go. I later found out they need to munch of hard shells or in this case digitada because their beak like teeth are filed down that way in nature. Like parrot fish that beak/teeth continuously grows.

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are smart fish. Mine was a great tank mate. After it started munching on some sps it needed to go. I later found out they need to munch of hard shells or in this case digitada because their beak like teeth are filed down that way in nature. Like parrot fish that beak/teeth continuously grows.
Yes one of the main reasons I rid of him was he also went straight for some of my sps too. His teeth were not large yet but he still found them useful. This is not a fish I would suggest for small system on the magnitude of maybe 180 gallons plus I think they maybe fine.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we have to stick to fish it would be a Bicolor Dottyback. (Mean sucker).
Getting out of fish it would be Coral Banded Shrimp.

woody4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Moorish Idol - eats everything but rocks and they are next. "Billy" was introduced as a rescue and did great for about 2 months - then, although well fed, began to eat everything in site. He even killed a Haddonia and started on another. Be careful adding one to any reef type environment.

Mark C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line wrasse in my reef tank, but he's not caused any problems that I'm aware of. What's the biggest problem with them?

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Moorish Idol - eats everything but rocks and they are next. "Billy" was introduced as a rescue and did great for about 2 months - then, although well fed, began to eat everything in site. He even killed a Haddonia and started on another. Be careful adding one to any reef type environment.

They are so pretty. Had one for a couple years. But in a fish only tank. They are in the butterfly family.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line wrasse in my reef tank, but he's not caused any problems that I'm aware of. What's the biggest problem with them?

Mine was a bully. For such a small fish it thought it was the king or queen of tank. My fish applauded when it jumped into the overflow.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

very interesting ive seen them in so many reefs i always thought this was a reef safe species! Well learn something new everyday!

AndyM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was My Fav fish a Powder Blue Tang who decided to help out and bring Marine Velvet...
I just got to put my fish back in...
The death total
Male Flame wrasse $200
Cleaner wrasse $20
Hippo tang $36
Midas Blenny $30
Coral Beauty Angel $25
And him self $60

Grand total of $371
It was a eye opener to the amazing QT I will never not QT again.

OP
OP
AJsTank

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Six Lines are the DEVIL!!!

Just try to add ANY small fish afterwards. Mine killed everything that I added. It got along fine with every tank mate that was introduced before hand.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back