Which Salt Mix do you Use?

• Total voters

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a Instant Ocean user for some time, but a little bit ago I tried the 1/2 IO x 1/2 Oceanic. Since then I've heard way too many horror stories about Oceanic.

So what salt do you use?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOu forgot one Ficklefins,

I have been using Reef Crystals for about 15 years or so. I have had only one issue and that was about 2 years ago...But for me it's the best, I tried Oceanic and Tropic Marin a right around the sametime I had an issue with a bad bag of Reef Crystals....I got the dreded brown slime algea from Oceanic and Tropic marin gave me silica issues, my corals never looked good using either. I got a case of 50g bags from the Reef Crystals Rep as an apology for the bad bad of salt....I lost about $600 dollars worth of coral in the 3 months I had the bag of salt.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Az,

It wasn't that I forgot, the polls have an entry limit. I took out the coralife option. I was thinking of going with Reef Crystals so I really appreciate the comments on that one.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local retailers only sell Instant Ocean and Oceanic. I want to use Kent because of the good stuff I have heard about it, but can't find it.

:)
Laurie

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, AZ, nice score n the free salt, too bad they couldn't apologize in lost livestock :( ...

Laurie

floridareefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean for over 5 years with no problems. I used Oceanic for about 4 months and has bad algae problems.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean for me since we've been reefing 6+ years ago.. tried other ones but returned to IO... dunno why but been really happy with IO... seemed to have no issues with it so far...

Marvin

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a salt **** am I! :shock:

Tried just about every one, the only 2 I've found that are balanced without having to buffer/additives are IO, but thats really designed for Fish Only systems & now Seachems Reef salt, on my 2nd bucket of this & really happy with it :lol:

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean myself add B-Ionic and some Mag to the mixing container before it gets pumped into the tank when I do my water changes. I also use this salt because it is the most avaliable and easiest salt to get with a great price. I dont want to worry about ordering and waiting for salt if my supply runs short. I tried Reef Crystals and I get the same results.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev,

They don't sell the 90g at the Petsmarts around here, do you have a link to your online price for it?

BTW, petsmart also sells reef crystals if you want to try something different.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
Oceanic for me.

What are the horror stories please tell. I may need todo some salt shopping!

BTW I get 90g for 19.99

I print out the salt prices from petsmart.com and they honor them at the store. In the store the 90g mix is like $31. :)

Oooooo, I didn't know they honored their own prices like that from online in store... THAT'S good info!!

Laurie

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have only used IO. as thats the only thing my club can get a "deal" on from our LFS. they also carry oceanic, but have heard too many horror stories about algae blooms after water changes. i wish IO had higher calcium levels though.

my LFS gives our club a deal, pretty close to wholesale i guess. we can get the 150g boxes for about $36 i think.

I'm not very familiar with reef crystals, but alot of people in that nice store in Richmond, VA use it i think.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
Oooooo, I didn't know they honored their own prices like that from online in store... THAT'S good info!!

Not only will they do salt, but they will do anything else! Heaters, additives, etc...

absolutely. if you ever need to do a small HOB fuge for a nano, most people like to convert the Aqua Clear 110 into a fuge. at the store its about $80. online its about $35 i think. (or used to be).

i own 2 of them now. just print out the page online, and take it into the store. ask the manager for a price check. i've never had a problem :)

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
revhtree said:

Not only will they do salt, but they will do anything else! Heaters, additives, etc...

absolutely. if you ever need to do a small HOB fuge for a nano, most people like to convert the Aqua Clear 110 into a fuge. at the store its about $80. online its about $35 i think. (or used to be).

i own 2 of them now. just print out the page online, and take it into the store. ask the manager for a price check. i've never had a problem :)

Hey, what do you use as your light on the AC fuge? Ive been looking around and cant find anything small enough. Thanks

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals. I feel for nano reefs, and reefs with a small calcium draw, its great. I dont have to drip anything or add much. I dose B-Ionic now, but for the last 2 years, i hadn't. Just regular water changes, and all my params were pretty good.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back