What type of lighting do you use?

What type of lighting do you use on your main display tank?

• Metal Halide Only

Votes: 95 18.6%
  • VHO Only

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • T-5 Only

Votes: 125 24.5%
  • Compact Fluorescent Only

Votes: 26 5.1%
  • LED (solaris)

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Metal Halide + VHO

Votes: 51 10.0%
  • Metal Halide + Compact Fluorescent

Votes: 52 10.2%
  • Metal Halide + T-5

Votes: 121 23.7%
  • Another Combo (Please Elaborate in Thread)

Votes: 26 5.1%

• Total voters

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha that would help huh! right now on my fuge i have a 96 watt pc with a nice reflector and my cheato grows like crazyyy

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK about 1 for a 48 inch long tank, that would not get spread very far at all only the middle would get halide light, thus reducing the area you could place corals

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that the majority has switched to t5's.

Not yet, but I am sure there will a migration from halides. If you look at all the people that use mh+ something, that is a greater number then T5 alone. Personally I use ONLY T5, and I am very happy with the results, but switching from halide to T5 is expensive, especially if you already have a successful lighting scheme.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used both t5ho and Mh and i like the look of Mhs better. The shimmer effect is priceless and you dont get that with t5s. Plus i noticed much better growth under my Mhs then i did with my T5hos

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 150 MH 14k. I really would like to try out T5s, but honestly I dont understand all the blue bulbs and what it all means. And how much watts of this is comparable to how many watts of MH.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used both t5ho and Mh and i like the look of Mhs better. The shimmer effect is priceless and you dont get that with t5s. Plus i noticed much better growth under my Mhs then i did with my T5hos

I miss the shimmer, but I gained efficiency! My T5 setup draws 374W, and is growing as fast, with better color, then my 10K Halides and VHO actinic did. My old halide setup drew 610W!!! So I have a net savings of 236W, which is almost the equivalent of a single halide.

Phil is correct in that it is not the WATTS that determine growth and color, those are measured by PAR (Lumens) and Color (Kelvin). Watts however do a play a significant role, that is COST, how much that light costs you every month to run. :D

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much that light costs you every month to run. :D

I love this debate. I do not care what I spend putting into my tank as most of us have made plenty of $100 purchase on small coral fragments; but I do care about efficiency. :D

I care more about the way my tank makes me feel when I look at it. I missed my VHO's when I switched to T5's as there are certain visual looks that can not be replicated with T5's; and there is no way I will give up my halides.

T5's are more efficient, there is not doubt about that, but at what cost. I used to go see top notch systems running SE bulbs and vhos and internally I knew they were nicer looking. I used to tell myself, "but t5's are more efficient" :lol:

This is the greatest part of our hobby. There is not one correct way to do it, but when there is a debate, we never want to admit that :cool:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely correct! I switched to T5 from halides due to heat when my chiller crapped out. I was thinking of experimenting with T5 anyway, then the chiller went, so T5 became a life saver. I think it has been about a year now, and I am still playing with bulb combinations. I used to think that T5 actinic lacked VHO too, but the Geismann "true" actinic bulbs are pretty darn close! Initially the T5 actinic bulbs were very BLUE, now they are much better.

There are almost as many options for color with T5 as there are for halides now, and either system will work VERY well.

Now, if only I could find a 1000GPH pressure rated return pump that only draws 60W!!!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love the fact that theres a lot of different combos with the t5s. The one thing i personally noticed is growth. My 10ks are amazing on my HQIs, and IMO far surpassed growth when i had the t5s. But the one big factor for me was the look of mhs vs t5s. The shimmer effect is wayyyyyy cool and i cant live with out it lol

Back