What would you do with this Salifin?

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, the Sailfin has been through TTM for suspected ich, which was more likely marine velvet, though nobody is really sure.

The entire DT has been emptied of fish and were all put through cupramine. All the anthias died.

The sailfin has still got some issues and with fallow period almost up, I don't know if it's a bad idea adding the tang back to the DT.

The photographs below show some spots/marking around the head area which have been there for months. There are also marking across the body and although not visible, some white patches on the flesh.

I cannot imagine how/if the tang has more disease/illness after all that its been through, but it does beg the question; should it go back in the DT? 9 weeks so far in QT which is a long time for any fish, let along Tangs.

Related thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anthias-died-sailfin-breathing-heavy.352829/page-5#post-4567208

IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the black spots near the top but the head and lateral line show some beginnings of HILLE.

Bump for more eyes

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took more picture. I looks like it's covered in Ich. How is this even possible?!

This tang is not going back in the DT. Not sure about clownfish or firefish.

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use CP as Anthias are no longer a concern?

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give a FW dip and see what comes off. If nothing I'll go for CP. If flukes I'll do a trezamol dip and observe for 10 days before going CP.

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just performed a FW dip for 5 full minutes and nothing came out. CP arrives tomorrow, fingers crossed it doesn't kill them or make them worse!

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang pooped as soon as he went in the FW, so there's quite a bit of detritus in the bucket. I also found a lot of brown/black specs but I'm not sure what they are since I've never seem flukes before.

IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been updating this thread and maybe now it's too late.

To summarise, the tang (and clownfish and firefish) are the sole survivors of TTM, copper, myxazin and trezamol after they became unwell since adding 5 Anthias which I didn't QT. All the anthias are dead, possibly from secondary infection from copper.

The survivors are in day 14 of 21 of chlorine phosphate. None of the fish appear to be eating after offering a variety of frozen and dry foods (with vitamins/appetite boosters) and I should have live brine shrimp tomorrow. It looks like the clownfish has infected gills and the tang is absolutely covered in white spots, some very small, some much larger. The other week when the tang was eating, it would take the food and then jolt backwards spitting the food out. Very odd.

Yesterday I performed a 6 hour trezamol bath (parazipro) and the tang still has a lot of white spots which I assumed were flukes. The tang has a few tiny red worms on one of its gills almost like little worms and the flesh although undamaged is very blotchy. The clownfish gills appear to be wearing away much like the Anthias were.

Ammonia hasn't been a problem as I perform water changes every 10 days or so, measuring replacement water with a digital volume meter so I'm highly accurate with dosing medicine etc. Ammonia alert disc has never reached "alarm".

I'm out of ideas of what to do next (other than leave the hobby - these fish have cost over £300 to treat with 70% of them dead). I think it's wise to leave them to run the full 21 days of CP and then possibly dose myxazin to combat infection?

Here's another forum which has been very helpful, it reminded me to seek the advice of Humblefish directly :http://www.ultimatereef.net/threads/chelated-copper.824600/page-8#post-7831616
IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0482.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is marine velvet, CP will/should clear it up anyway? Sine it's been 15 days of CP, shouldn't there have been an improvement by now?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back