OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing 1 tablet per 15litres of water (alvoclor 250mg) which is 10mg/litre I believe, which I can see is a lot less than the suggestions on here.

Should I up the dosage, exposing them for more time, or would this be too much now?

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped them all in FW and myzaxin without and issues.

This is what the tangs body looks like, albeit stress is a factor due to the dip but this is not right. It looks like he's been scraped against a a cheese greater! It appears only on the rear half despite seeing a lot of white spots/flukes around the head area.

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nstocks That looks like classic velvet to me, the aftereffects of the trophonts feeding.

How long has this QT been setup? Is it possible biofilm has formed and is degrading the CP before it can completely eliminate velvet??

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT has been set up for 5 weeks after copper treatment. When Copper duration was up, I removed everything, bleached and used vinegar and didn't return the fish for 3-4 days later. Colony was used again for bacteria. The garage has a dehumidifier so the entire QT was dry without hours, so it got another RO rinse and left to dry again. Prior to CP the tank was broken down but no chemicals were used, it was just wiped, rinsed and re-filled.

In all the fish have been away from DT for 12-13 weeks now.

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it will be my call, but financially how much more running around in circles could this possibly take before the fish are well again?

I'm guessing at this point I need to up the dose of CP to eradicate the suspected velvet (that everything up until this point has only suppressed).

Dispatching of fish because of the cost is morally very wrong and it's likely going to end my interest in the hobby but I just do not have the money for x buckets of salts, medications and various other foods, which alone this past few weeks is over £100.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nstocks I would up your CP dosage to the maximum: 20mg/L.

Are you sure the Chloroquine you are using is 99% pure or better? Something sounds off here...

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nstocks I would up your CP dosage to the maximum: 20mg/L.

Are you sure the Chloroquine you are using is 99% pure or better? Something sounds off here...

The CP is avloclor which is prescription only. Each 250mg tablet contains 155mg of CP.

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the clownfish dead this morning, after seeing it almost vertical last night with laboured breathing I'm not surprised he didn't make it.

There's no obvious signs, perhaps the gill was infected from what I saw the other day.

Tang and firefish are still not eating; I'm offering 4 types of dry foods, 3 types of frozen, nori and I have some live bring shrimp.

There's 13 days left at the higher dose CP which I added over 24 hour period. I highly doubt the firefish will make it.

IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nstocks You might have no choice but to do a WC to bring the CP level down to 15mg/L. To get the fish eating again.

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't been eating at all since CP though :(

I'm leaving it as is. If they eat, great. If not then we will see what happens. I doubt the firefish has long left and with my luck I drop the CP, they eat but still have issues.

Honestly they have all gone through so much over such a long time I'd be lucky if anything survives.

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck.

Tang is just getting worse as time goes on. His entire body is covered now in white spots and theres now a large patch of something too :(. His breathing looks incredibly stressful too.

Firefish is still alive but getting thinner and the body is starting to curl slightly like the Anthias did.

I''ve dropped CP from 20mg/l to 10mg/l after I raised it a few days ago. Still no feeding and they didn't feet at 10mg/l either.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985 could this be a secondary infection such as Mycobacteriosis?

It does look like a secondary bacterial infection (of some sort) is setting in. :(

I can’t remember if I’ve already asked you this, but have you done a 5 min FW dip to check for flukes?

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I performed 5 minute FW dip last week and it doesn’t look like any flukes cane off. I treated with prazipro a week prior.

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 minute FW dip last week and I did not see any flukes drop off. Prazipro was used a week prior for 6 hours.

The tang fins looks like Lymphocystis
in combination with ich, if that’s even possible with CP

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang fins looks like Lymphocystis
in combination with ich, if that’s even possible with CP

Many fish develop Lympho whilst in CP because the latter is an immunosuppressant. Lympho nodules are caused by a virus which lives inside the fish’s body. There is no cure, so symptoms come & go whenever the fish is stressed, sick, exposed to an immunosuppressant, etc.

OP
OP
N

Nstocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What options (if any) should I look into, or do we think it’s too late at this point?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back