Where to place my gate valve?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it should be as low as possible and accessible but the real dilemma is, is this union worth it?

Without a union it fits right above the drain bulkhead no complications but no union.
20240420_135052[1].jpg
With a union I have to place the gate valve before the 45s right below my bulkhead's union
20240420_135109[1].jpg
or I cram it between the 2 45 degree bends.

20240420_135827[1].jpg

Opinions? This is my first sump build so I feel like I have no idea what I am doing.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the bulkhead is threaded in so to remove it I would have to bend the pipe some to raise it out. I guess that would be ok. The union there would just be so I don't have to undo the bulkhead. It would make removal a bit easier but is probably unnecessary.
Then I'll just have 2 45° bends to line up with the drain and the 2 sided slip gate valve goes anywhere in-between. If I take out the union at the bottom it would fit very nicely in the middle of the 45° section.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is glued on the drain side yet.

The emergency drain is just 2 45° bends and the union is just there for the same reason as the main drain. Ease of disassembly

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the bulkhead is threaded in so to remove it I would have to bend the pipe some I guess that would be ok.
I don't understand this... The part about bending the pipe. My method for plumbing is to make sure I can completely remove the bulkhead from the tank if needed. I also use threaded bulkheads and use a threaded coupling to attach the subsequent pipe below it. Pipe is glued to the other side of the coupling and the union is after that. This way, I can remove everything below the union and then unscrew the pipe from the bulkhead so the actual bulkhead can be disassembled.

The union there would just be so I don't have to undo the bulkhead. It would just make removal a bit easier but is probably unnecessary
I think you're describing what I wrote above...

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I'll flip the bulkheads over so the male part is in the bottom. I was just setting it up how they came from the manufacturer.

And I have the unions here already xP

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I'll flip the bulkheads over so the male part is in the bottom. I was just setting it up how they came from the manufacturer.

And I have the unions here already xP
Describe the bulkhead for me... When you hold it so it looks like a mushroom, is the inside of the top part (flange) threaded or smooth? What about the stem side (nut)?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this isn't really a bulkhead. It is a female socket to male FPT adapter with another female socket to female FPT.
This is what came with my Trigger Triton sump.

20240420_143539[1].jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back