WHich takes up more time?

rosechay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting out with a 20 gallon cube, to get the ball rolling but I've heard they are more time consuming then bigger tanks?

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it is necessarily more work at all. A lot depends on what type of corals you are trying to keep. Personally, I would much rather do 10 percent weekly water changes on a 20g than I would on a 300g...lol. Are you new to saltwater? Welcome to R2R!!!!!! Please share what you want to keep, what type of lighting, etc and we may be able to help you more : )

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually MUCH faster on the cycle IME. the problem and time comes in from the learning curve to keep such a small tank stable.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, what they said. A smaller tank is generally harder to keep per say because of the smaller water volume. When you have a larger water volume, its easier to keep things stable, as smaller things effect the water less, as anything is diluted more than a smaller tank.

However, the smaller the volume, the less you have to spend on salt, additives, sand, and RO water :)

bulkhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, what they said. A smaller tank is generally harder to keep per say because of the smaller water volume. When you have a larger water volume, its easier to keep things stable, as smaller things effect the water less, as anything is diluted more than a smaller tank.

However, the smaller the volume, the less you have to spend on salt, additives, sand, and RO water :)

+1

I think somewhere around 55 gallons is an ideal starting size (purely opinion).

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dealing with a smaller tank, the smallest evaporation can cause a bigger swing in tank parameters.

IMO a small tank is just a temporary fix until you want a bigger tank. So if you can start with something bigger like a 40B or a 55g tank.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dealing with a smaller tank, the smallest evaporation can cause a bigger swing in tank parameters.

IMO a small tank is just a temporary fix until you want a bigger tank. So if you can start with something bigger like a 40B or a 55g tank.

Exactly. When you are buying equipment, tanks, etc, just bump it up to the next level the first time, as you'll probably want to upgrade in the future anyway. I wasted a lot of money going the cheap route the first time, and then ended up buying what I really wanted in the end.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smaller tank it is easer to maintain but a larger tank is always more stable due to its more water volume.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start a little bigger. Dont go straight for a 100+ system. I started with a 10 it last 3 months before I upgraded. Well all the equipment I got was no longer useful. Wasted alot of money. Plus it is hard to find used equipment for a smaller tank. People are always selling stuff that would work for 40+ gallons anything smaller you have to buy new.

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start a little bigger. Do go straight for a 100+ system. I started with a 10 it last 3 months before I upgraded. Well all the equipment I got was no longer useful. Wasted alot of money. Plus it is hard to find used equipment for a smaller tank. People are always selling stuff that would work for 40+ gallons anything smaller you have to buy new.

I would suggest a larger but 100 is bigg for a newer person 40-75 is a decent starting size they will have plenty to do and learn with that 100 might be over whelming.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with m and m. 100+ for a new reefer is intimidating while 40 breeders are just made to be turned into a reef tank and 75's are "big" but still supurb beginner reef tanks. The best part of a 75 is that there are A LOT of folks that start there and upgrade so there is a lot of cheap but very good equipment peices for sale. Take it from a nano guy (me) I have had 4 diffrent all in one nano tanks and they still are great tanks but a real pain to keep stable, for the first time in 6 years I finally got one to where I wanted it and it was a rough road. My 75 on the other hand was a cake walk compared to all of them! Incidently I just bought a 220g :D for a nano guy this is just going to be plug and play ROFL! The message there is even if you love nano tanks you will upgrade sooner or later.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started small, then went big, then bigger........now I'm finding myself wanting to go back to a smaller size. I'm thinking an Elos MIDI is in my near future.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started with a 20 gallon then went quickly to a 125 and after several more tanks including a 150 now I'm happy with my two 28 gallon nanos. I think it really depends on what equipment you get and what kind of tank you get. My 20 gallon was a pain, but my 28 gallon all in ones are pretty easy upkeep. Also it's much easier to do water changes on small tanks than bigger ones.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, i have a 29 gallon biocube that i up graded to a 120 gallon. Now I have both set up because o one wanted to buy the smaller tank or the equipment.. But the biocube was much less work for me because all the maintenance is on a much smaller scale. But after 8 months of just having the biocube i wanted to upgrade. Well i wanted to upgrade much sooner then that but had to save the money first fo the bigger tank and equipment. The only equipment i could use on my bigger tank from the smaller tank was my PH moniter and ATO..

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know if i would go with a 20 gallon. i would say 40 breeder or perhaps a 75 gallon
if you went bigger later these setups could be useful for QT setups

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timewise, I believe the bigger tank takes more time. That said, there are lots of different factors to consider besides time in selecting your first tank. Available space and $$ you wish to spend being the biggest two.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gal Breeder with a sump is a great size to start with I think. Gives you a nice display tank, yet enough water to keep things stable.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gal Breeder with a sump is a great size to start with I think. Gives you a nice display tank, yet enough water to keep things stable.

Great starter tank! I went with a standard 29 for my first tank and regretted it the whole time. the 40 br has a lot of room and is easier to aquascape since its only 16inches high.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back