Which tangs should I add to my list

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys...I setting up a 150g possibly a 180g (space dependent) in my office waiting area in roughly 3 months. I have a list of fish I want to add, some I already have at my home, others I will purchase. I want to add 2 maybe 3 "peaceful" tangs to the mix. Now I know its always a gamble with tangs but would like some advice with my stock list. Heres the list of fish Ill be adding:

Yellow tail tamarin (already own)
Twistii tamarin (already own)
Ornate leopard (already own)
Blue star female leopard
McCosker flasher
Magnifican foxface (already own)
5 anthias (was thinking Ignitus)
Midas Blenny (already own)
Flame Hawkfish
Potters angelfish
Clownfish Pair
Blue throat trigger

Now I was thinking of adding these tangs:

White tail bristle tooth
Powder Brown (Acanthurus japonicus)
Convict

Any other suggestions on what may be a good fit with the list I have....???

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about a dejardini but know they can get large. I was trying to avoid the zebrasoma family in case I end up with a 150 and worry about aggression down the road....

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder brown and convict may tangle as they're both acanthurus tangs, and both require flawless quarantine procedures but that aside, they may still be OK but I would quarantine all three tangs together so they acclimate together to reduce aggression.

Also, I wouldn't consider any acanthurus tang "peaceful" but then again the only tangs I consider mostly peaceful are bristleooth varieties, and naso species. Acanthurus I would count as the most aggressive genus although orange shoulder are often relatively docile. With the powder blue, sohal, clown, powder brown and gold rim, and Achilles being the more aggressive. Convict can be pretty aggressive too but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Sailfin do get large but do well as "community" tangs (in groups of tangs they rarely cause trouble, but this is true of most zebrasoma tangs typically). With one or fewer other tangs added after, yellow and purple can be particularly nasty.

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input @4FordFamily. If we can pull off the 180 Im thinking of adding a blonde naso, white tail bristletooth and sailfin then. If we go with the 150, then Ill exclude the naso. I love my tamarins and leopards the most and want to keep it as peaceful as possible...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had too much of a problem with convicts being as bad as many other Acanthurus tangs.

If you do get the bigger tank, I would suggest getting the naso in there before the other tangs, so it can settle. That way it can serve as a 'peacekeeper' with the other tangs.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'd try an office tank with that load of fish that was any smaller than 180. Bigger like a 210 or 240 would be even better.

Office conditions aren't always ideal....power flucutuations....HVAC that may be out of your control, etc.

I would always leave LOTS of room for extra stress in the tank for when those situations come up. That whey they are less likely to translate into a wipeout or anything close.

I don't like most of the bigger fish mentioned in less than a 180 either....but that's me. I'm a card-carrying member of the Tang Police! :)

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had too much of a problem with convicts being as bad as many other Acanthurus tangs.

If you do get the bigger tank, I would suggest getting the naso in there before the other tangs, so it can settle. That way it can serve as a 'peacekeeper' with the other tangs.
I thought it was best to add all the tangs at the same time?

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'd try an office tank with that load of fish that was any smaller than 180. Bigger like a 210 or 240 would be even better.

Office conditions aren't always ideal....power flucutuations....HVAC that may be out of your control, etc.

I would always leave LOTS of room for extra stress in the tank for when those situations come up. That whey they are less likely to translate into a wipeout or anything close.

I don't like most of the bigger fish mentioned in less than a 180 either....but that's me. I'm a card-carrying member of the Tang Police! :)

Haha mcarroll I'm right there with you and I respect that completely. I do not want a stressful environment in any way. The 150 would be a 5ft tank not the smaller/taller version. If I only end up with the bristletooth then I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't want aggressive behavior from a tang bc they're cramped...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha mcarroll I'm right there with you and I respect that completely. I do not want a stressful environment in any way. The 150 would be a 5ft tank not the smaller/taller version. If I only end up with the bristletooth then I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't want aggressive behavior from a tang bc they're cramped...
The 150 come in a 6 foot and 5 foot variety, I assume you mean the 6 foot tank is what you would have?

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150 come in a 6 foot and 5 foot variety, I assume you mean the 6 foot tank is what you would have?
The tank would either be a 180 72x24x24 or a 150 60x24x24. Most the 150s I've seen have been 48x24x30.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank would either be a 180 72x24x24 or a 150 60x24x24. Most the 150s I've seen have been 48x24x30.

I forgot that there is a 4 footer, it looks like a cube.

Most 150 I see are 6 foot tanks

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot that there is a 4 footer, it looks like a cube.

Most 150 I see are 6 foot tanks
No worries, I should have mentioned that from the start...the wall the tank will be going on is 7ft so we're still working out what the best option is. The tank will be in wall and viewable from 2 sides. I want to go with a 24" width and height so just figuring out if a 6ft tank (180g) would work...

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion get a naso not blonde because blondes may be a little more difficult to get feeding, if you plan to add any zebrasoma species make those your last additions and add any off that list all at once to avoid fighting. I would stay away from any of the powder brown, powder blues, achilles, and even stay away from paracantharus hepatus the regal/blue/hippo tang as they can be aggressive over time as well. I had a 90 gallon with a naso and a blue throats trigger for 2 years no problem and for anyone who's gonna comment and say oh you can't have a naso in a 90 please lol. I got a 135 and I have my red tail trigger. Beautiful fish, hasn't bothered any shrimp, coral, invertebrates and is more difficult to find than blue throats, next addition will be a naso tang because I love their personalities and they don't grow as quick as zebrasoma species especially desjardinis and veliferums. I would probably recommended getting a naso, a chevron tang or any species on the ctenochaetus list, but acantharus species especially powdered blues and browns and Achilles are more prone to ich than other tangs in my opinion even if you purchase them from a highly reputable source you still have to quarantine, and then make sure they are fed well and don't undergo a lot of stress, maybe add a purple tang after.

Back