??? White spots on my purple tang, not ich. Any ideas???

Teeran88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11c1014a87cfe6f1e32c7e138efcc430.jpg

He started to develop raised white spots (definitely larger than ich) a few days ago. I can't figure out what he's got to be able to treat him. He's currently in a qt tank. The only thing I could think at first was lymphocystis, but I've not seen it present this was before. Anyone have a clue what I'm looking at here?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking lymphocystis as well but I've never seen it first hand, I only know what to look for.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of some other type of worm.
It still looks like flukes to me but if its not flukes then what is it? they are all over the bottom of the tank as well

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still looks like flukes to me but if its not flukes then what is it? they are all over the bottom of the tank as well

Possibly a parasitic isopod or anchor worm. Anchor worms appear as red or inflamed skin irritations with little whitish-green worms sticking out. The tail of the worm makes a V. Often a fish will rub on rocks and sand in an attempt to dislodge the worm(s).

OP
OP
Teeran88

Teeran88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few more photos, which is hard considering how much he likes to move around. The white spots are large, raised, and in some instances O shaped. Someone mentioned thinking they saw them on the bottom of the glass in a previous photo which is not the case. The white on the bottom of the tank is just bits of sand. Also, I haven't been able to do a fw dip yet, but I also think it's worth mentioning that he'd just come through a hypo treatment a couple weeks ago. And none of the other fish from the tank are exhibiting these spots (no new additions to the tank, and all go through qt).

808d0c83a36a1b0b4ee67fec30b3ce1d.jpg
1c023aff5f81ccdf07547ca6fe31e5c2.jpg
6eafa7c9fff96f806454692310f8c5a7.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Teeran88 Has the fish ever been exposed to any medication or just hypo?

I'm anxious to see whether or not pure freshwater for 5 mins has any impact on those things. I'm guessing not, but we need to be sure it's not a worm before proceeding here.

OP
OP
Teeran88

Teeran88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm anxious to see whether or not pure freshwater for 5 mins has any impact on those things. I'm guessing not, but we need to be sure it's not a worm before proceeding here.

Just prazipro a few years back I think. The hypo had been a bit of a prophylactic treatment before moving him from one of my tanks I had previously had ich in to a new ich free system. Just finished the 5min. fw dip. Yielded zero results as predicted... [emoji53] Now what?

OP
OP
Teeran88

Teeran88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the things to do a skin scraping and a microscope, plus the "Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment" book you recommended. However, I don't know if I'd be able to do a scraping for about a week. My husband won't be back in town until then and I don't know if I'm brave enough to try to attempt it on my own. So I guess that's a last resort option if I can wait that long

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just prazipro a few years back I think. The hypo had been a bit of a prophylactic treatment before moving him from one of my tanks I had previously had ich in to a new ich free system. Just finished the 5min. fw dip. Yielded zero results as predicted... [emoji53] Now what?

So, we've seen something like this before (mainly on tangs) but it usually follows copper treatment. So my pet theory has always been that it was a "skin rash" from the copper. The other theory is it is a bacterial disease of some sort, because Kanaplex + Metroplex will oftentimes appear to clear it. However, that may just be coincidental because sometimes it also just clears on it's own. :confused:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the things to do a skin scraping and a microscope, plus the "Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment" book you recommended. However, I don't know if I'd be able to do a scraping for about a week. My husband won't be back in town until then and I don't know if I'm brave enough to try to attempt it on my own. So I guess that's a last resort option if I can wait that long

A scrape would be ideal here. And if you can post the microscope pics I might be able to find a match for it. Or at least identify if it is bacterial, viral, parasitic, etc.

I'm trying to find a pic of a butterfly with similar looking growths.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back