??? White spots on my purple tang, not ich. Any ideas???

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this one ... because I want to know what this thing is . . . because I think I'm seeing it on my coral beauty, which (along with all my other fish) just came out of a coppered QT a week or two ago.

~Bruce

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teeran88

Teeran88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Teeran88 See below for comparison purposes. This specimen was "cured" by treating with Kanaplex + Metroplex, while the other Pyramids who were left untreated died.

DSC01464.jpg
DSC01458.jpg
DSC01456.jpg

It's difficult to see in the photo, especially with the white body. Are they just raised bumps or are they completely separate white growths? In the last photo in the yellow and black margins there looks to be a few that are raised but not white. If so, I don't think that's what I'm dealing with.
Originally, when it first started I was thinking lymphocystis (I had a bellus angel that'd had it when we first got her so I know what that looks like [and she's in my tank since it went away and we got her through qt]) but the sheer number of the spots and the strange O shaped ones are really throwing me off.

Mehmet Can

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi;

I think we have the same problem.Circle shape white soft spots.When i removed it with tweezers,it doesnt seems alive.
1.jpg

Then i noticed theese type of thing in my ram's gill(picture2) that make me think that it may be an internal parasite or an external parasite which then infect inner of fish.
2.jpg

I tried salt bath,sera bactopur treatment but i couldn't make save the rams...

Then several diseases (eye fungus,internal parasites(white poop) etc.)

I tried a human medicine(active ngredient is LEVIMASOLE) i mixed the medicine with the food.few days later there are many red worms at the anus of the fishes.I removed them with tweezers because worms are so big fishes can't get out of it.
3.jpg
4.jpg

I think that treatment cured my fishes from the worms but i believe theese worms are still living in the tank so i am trying to find a cure program to treat my 340lt planted tank.

On the other hand last week i noticed white worms under the soil.

At most forums people think that theese types of worms are harmless but as you know there are millions of varieties and some of them are really harmfull for the plants' roots.Still trying to find to way the tank from theese creatures...

20171013_195019.jpg

IMG_20170924_192534_467.jpg

Last edited:

sdcosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this? I have a purple tang that also has the same thing. He has been through a 10 day treatment of kanaplex and metroplex and furan 2. He had the bumped when we got him a couple of months ago and they did not go away. Should they be scraped off then?

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love an update as well. I have a Yellow Tang with the same thing, that recently came out of quarantine.

JRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update would be great. I've got a sohal tang that just came of a qt tank treated with copper for 30 days. And after being in main display for 4 days these appeared. Will upload pics tomorrow.

It doesn't look like ich very similar to pics in previous post.

Questions had were if it can spread and treatment options.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be something treatable! Watching this post... seems like a growing issue in our reef tanks. My Kole tang has a similar issue and it now has passed to my valentini puffer. Saw him scraping against the rocks this morning and knew that was a good sign.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try freshwater dip and give it a formalin bath. If you see them in the bedding, arrow crab comes to my mind to eat them.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11c1014a87cfe6f1e32c7e138efcc430.jpg

He started to develop raised white spots (definitely larger than ich) a few days ago. I can't figure out what he's got to be able to treat him. He's currently in a qt tank. The only thing I could think at first was lymphocystis, but I've not seen it present this was before. Anyone have a clue what I'm looking at here?
Could you please post an update on what transpired with the fish after making this post? I have something similar despite medicated quarantining all of my fish. I added a new tang to the tank 2-3 weeks ago that underwent 3 weeks in copper and a week of observation but has these spots. Another wrasse in my tank has them as well.

I’m getting really nervous and am unsure how to proceed. My entire rock work was glued together and undoing it to get my fish out would be the very last resort.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could you please post an update on what transpired with the fish after making this post? I have something similar despite medicated quarantining all of my fish. I added a new tang to the tank 2-3 weeks ago that underwent 3 weeks in copper and a week of observation but has these spots. Another wrasse in my tank has them as well.

I’m getting really nervous and am unsure how to proceed. My entire rock work was glued together and undoing it to get my fish out would be the very last resort.
Try a freshwater dip for 5 minutes. These look just like flukes. If they dont fall of, other possibility would be a parasitic isopod or anchor worm and even a rash from copper if copper was used. As for treatment that may do the trick, I'm thinking Kanaplex + Metroplex .

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a freshwater dip for 5 minutes. These look just like flukes
I will try to get one out although it’s unlikely I’ll be able to.

My gut instinct was flukes. So I’ve done two rounds of prazi in the dt for the last 8 days and decided to do a third final round this evening. If 3 rounds of prazi won’t get rid of it, I doubt its flukes.

I know it’s not scabbing or healing from copper/metro treatment as that was completed over a month ago and the fish had healed. A wrasse that I’ve had for over a year has the spots now too.

I feel there’s a possibility it could be bacterial as the spots are slightly smaller than ops pic. Still not comfortable. My pipe fish is irreplaceable as is my clown pair I’ve had for years and my mandarin I’ve raised since he was a baby.

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this one ... because I want to know what this thing is . . . because I think I'm seeing it on my coral beauty, which (along with all my other fish) just came out of a coppered QT a week or two ago.

~Bruce
What ended up happening to your fish?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is the when all say “ IF FISH COULD TALK “

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ended up happening to your fish?

That fish recovered from that particular episode, as I recall - and did well for a while, but passed in the time between 2017 and now. Currently have a trio of flame angels in a much larger tank.

~B.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back