Who's got LOTS of cash $$$$$$$$$$$ to burn ???

OP
OP
H

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these fish came to me captive bred. Dare you to call them ugly and most would have killed their wild caught cousins.
Clowns are a whole different ballgame TB almost NEVER look as good as WC ... In person - I can always pick out a TB clownfish .. They always have some minute deformity or "freakish" look to them ... Ask any clown fish aficionado on here ...they know what I'm talking about ...

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pectoral fins. They are getting worse and worse the more inbred they get; but they don't really do anything for the fish anyway.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1693394498747.jpeg

6 grand plus for wild caught LATZ pair
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I wouldn't give $30 for that ugly pair of Clarkii wannabes let alone buy anything from Michaels ever again.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say these guys are rare, more that they’re endemic to an area that doesn’t see a lot of collecting activity. I’ve actually seen a few strays in my local area over the years.

They share a similar geographic territory as the Ballina angel, a nice looking but protected species from this part of the world.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about? Captive bred are just as pretty and do so so much better in aquariums than stressed out wild caught fish. Do you really think you’ll get a better fish if it’s been shipped half starved around the world?!

All of these fish came to me captive bred. Dare you to call them ugly and most would have killed their wild caught cousins.

For some reason, captive-bred clownfish are plagued with defects; many of them are physical. Here are a few: flat faces, protruding lower jaw, small fins (particularly the dorsal on many percula), and flared gills. Other marine fish that are captive bred don't exhibit these types of defects at the same frequency as clownfish.

Clowns are a whole different ballgame TB almost NEVER look as good as WC ... In person - I can always pick out a TB clownfish .. They always have some minute deformity or "freakish" look to them ... Ask any clown fish aficionado on here ...they know what I'm talking about ...

Exactly. It's typically very easy to pick out the captive bred fish from their wild counterparts.

I wouldn’t say these guys are rare, more that they’re endemic to an area that doesn’t see a lot of collecting activity. I’ve actually seen a few strays in my local area over the years.

They share a similar geographic territory as the Ballina angel, a nice looking but protected species from this part of the world.
I agree. Try to find yourself a Bandit Angelfish these days. Since it's a Hawaii endemic, they're now impossible to get.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, captive-bred clownfish are plagued with defects; many of them are physical. Here are a few: flat faces, protruding lower jaw, small fins (particularly the dorsal on many percula), and flared gills. Other marine fish that are captive bred don't exhibit these types of defects at the same frequency as clownfish.

Exactly. It's typically very easy to pick out the captive bred fish from their wild counterparts.

I agree. Try to find yourself a Bandit Angelfish these days. Since it's a Hawaii endemic, they're now impossible to get.
I’ll agree with the designer clowns. They obviously inbreed them over and over again to achieve the crazy colors and patterns. Responsible breeding though should be just if not more healthy.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistake was just showing the picture instead of naming them "ultra rare aussie rainbow dragon toxic shock clowns". Then most would pay the 6k!

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll agree with the designer clowns. They obviously inbreed them over and over again to achieve the crazy colors and patterns. Responsible breeding though should be just if not more healthy.
Most breeders are trying to make money and don't cull the "minor" defects. This leads to the observations noted as well as worsening of the defects with successive generations. When I was raising clowns (as a hobby, not a business, and not designers), I would cull the defects for this reason.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back