Why do some people get tons of replys and other get very little/none?

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. I'm just curious.
They don’t like to help us stoners we tend to forget or ask a few times… ?honestly unsure I’ve wondered myself. I think it depends who is online and who wants to reply at that time with their knowledge.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engagement. If you’ve got “friends” on the forum you’re more likely to get replies.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it also has to do with how people access the page. For me, I see the top 10-15 active posts only which are the ones most recently posted or replied to. If there’s a lot of posting happening at the same time, then posts may fall off the page before people see them.

OP
OP
Clowns-corals-cats

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t like to help us stoners we tend to forget or ask a few times… ?honestly unsure I’ve wondered myself. I think it depends who is online and who wants to reply at that time with their knowledge.

. If you’ve got “friends” on the forum you’re more likely to get replies.
I was sharing my knowledge with every unanswered question I had any input in for awhile don't know how to get any more engaged than that. Guess reef2reef is only helpfully if you've been a member for along time.
I bet your right I've been finding fb pages very helpful.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure who the "they" are, but Ripped while Reefing is a perfectly acceptable pastime.

In my opinion questions that get the most replies are the ones that are properly formatted with information and thought out. OR are posted from users who engage with the community often.

If you open a thread and see a wall of text with no clear question, that's hard to digest. On the other hand opening a thread with a picture of sand and saying what's wrong with my tank, is hard to engage with.

I know of a lot of people who hit the Unanswered threads tag at least once a day.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess reef2reef is only helpfully if you've been a member for along time.
I respectfully disagree with this. From my experience it is people who are new to the hobby and ask some basic questions that most people know that answer too that gets the most responses.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the main things are who is on when you post and the topic. Most folks see threads only if they are bumped near the top and replies help.

also for topic, really hard questions don’t get many if any replies just because people don’t know. Oddly if you really scour the web for a specific issue and can’t find anything then post, you don’t get replies.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess reef2reef is only helpfully if you've been a member for along time.
Homie that is a ridiculous statement. Search almost anything reef tank related in Google. Where is it going to lead you back to?

Right Flippin here. There's a reason for that. Thousands of members from all countries, come here to help and get help. Have you seen the welcome brigade?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is as much reason why you do not answer a questions as it reason why you answer. Personally - I answer when it is questions that I have dealt with as a person. I want my answers to reflect my own experiences that could be both practical and theoretical.

You post this 11 minutes ago - this is the 10th post

Sincerely Lasse

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also for topic, really hard questions don’t get many if any replies just because people don’t know.
This is the reason in my opinion.

One advantage of a popular forum is that there are enough members that someone knows the answer to any question. The down side is that there are enough threads that it quickly gets buried if no one answers. There are a few users who have a good habit of checking unanswered threads and at least bumping them.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should also add that over time people will ‘Follow’ other posters and get notifications on when they post so they may naturally get more responses from ‘Followers’

OP
OP
Clowns-corals-cats

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homie that is a ridiculous statement. Search almost anything reef tank related in Google. Where is it going to lead you back to?

Right Flippin here. There's a reason for that. Thousands of members from all countries, come here to help and get help. Have you seen the welcome brigade?
Good point. I can admit when I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Clowns-corals-cats

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is as much reason why you do not answer a questions as it reason why you answer. Personally - I answer when it is questions that I have dealt with as a person. I want my answers to reflect my own experiences that could be both practical and theoretical.

You post this 11 minutes ago - this is the 10th post

Sincerely Lasse
Well obviously this question is getting people worked up. I've also seen people needing help from the night before or a day ago. Latley I ask a question and am lucky to get a response. It was a legitimate question is all. The responses to this post doesn't change the validity of my question. I understand why now.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I can admit when I'm wrong.

Starting a build thread and adding the tag to your banner is a great way to boost engagement as well.

It allows people to tailor an answer directly to you and your tank. Whenever I see a question without enough info, I look for the build thread. Pictures tell a lot. It can also be the community You build sounds Your tank.

BTW, not worked up over here. Just having conversations.

OP
OP
Clowns-corals-cats

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a build thread and adding the tag to your banner is a great way to boost engagement as well.

It allows people to tailor an answer directly to you and your tank. Whenever I see a question without enough info, I look for the build thread. Pictures tell a lot. It can also be the community You build sounds Your tank.

BTW, not worked up over here. Just having conversations.
Wow that's cool. I was gonna do one with the build I'm starting now thought it was to late for this one cause I'm already almost where I'm at.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing is everything in life.

Plus many things get over complicated when there’s a bunch of answers. If the first few responses cover the best plan of action for handling an issue many won’t continue to post their opinion. Lastly, how many of the big threads of that week are still on topic?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's cool. I was gonna do one with the build I'm starting now thought it was to late for this one cause I'm already almost where I'm at.
It's never too late to start. Doesn't have to be day one, and doesn't need to be an actual building your tank from the ground up. Consider it your place to aggregate your updates. People follow those and When you post to your thread, They are notified. Say you've had a build threat going for a bit and have 10 people you engage with that follow it. By posting your question there you are directly asking those people who you already engage with.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post stuff that gets some replies and I post stuff that gets no replies.
I don't see the problem!

I reply to stuff I find interesting, informative or right down funny.
Other stuff that I have no direct knowledge about, I don't say anything.

What's the problem, this isn't TikTok.

OP
OP
Clowns-corals-cats

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never too late to start. Doesn't have to be day one, and doesn't need to be an actual building your tank from the ground up. Consider it your place to aggregate your updates. People follow those and When you post to your thread, They are notified. Say you've had a build threat going for a bit and have 10 people you engage with that follow it. By posting your question there you are directly asking those people who you already engage with.
Thanks alot for the tip. I really liked it here in the beginning I love coral and helping people so hope this question didn't ruin it for me on here I read and study but nothing beats experts with experience like some of you guys.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back