Why do some people get tons of replys and other get very little/none?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just type any of the following in the thread title and watch your new thread blow up with responses :) :)
-Why are coral prices out of control?
-QT or not QT?
-Sand vs bare bottom tanks
-Tangs in a 40g?
-BRS acquires new company

Kidding aside I think the title matters a lot. Many people won't even open a thread if the title doesn't catch their attention as a topic they could contribute to. Also, if I have a specific topic I need help with, usually I look for similar posts with similar experiences and then I directly reach out to them to see if they have any recommendations.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me its experience, I only offer advise/suggestion based on my own good experience, if I dont have experience with a fish/coral, then I can't answer. I'm a nano tank owner, so I generally don't comment in threads that are for bigger tanks

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I kinda gave up updating it. And I kinda don’t know how to link it (yes I am a dummy). It wasn’t for looks just for S&G’s on my end and maybe help someone who was going through the same issue. Not trying to get pity I was just surprised. The fact no one saw it was kinda embarrassing to me. R2R is good about getting important stuff I need answered. You are correct, I never tried to get people to see it so I can’t complain
Go into your profile paste the link at to your build thread at the build thread badge creator at the bottom and it will link it to your banner. Tag me I'll be your first follower homie.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just type any of the following in the thread title and watch your new thread blow up with responses :) :)
-QT or not QT?
-Tangs in a 40g?

Kidding aside I think the title matters a lot. Many people won't even open a thread if the title doesn't catch their attention as a topic they could contribute to. Also, if I have a specific topic I need help with, usually I look for similar posts with similar experiences and then I directly reach out to them to see if they have any recommendations.
This is spot on. In my honest opinion anybody who posts that thread topic is looking for a fight and I have no desire to provide them with one.

That's not to say that I don't every once in a while but ; )

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you write like a three yere old with no copitalization no punctuation misspelled words with cunfusing thoughts and sentenses that keep going and going and going and expecting peeps to be inclind to take time to figue out what you are asking thats been asked over and over then you are probly not gonna get very many replys to youre question cause its hard to read and annoying ya'll just one example

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself, I tend to respond to posts that are well named (indicate what the post is about rather than some vague statement). I also tend to skip over questions that get asked and answered a dozen time a week... if people are too lazy to do a quick search, it's not worth my effort to respond.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped updating my build thread for a few reasons but one of them was that I found it pointless to share information that no one else valued, however build threads still have very important purpose as a journal and records to see what you did and what was the result.

That said, once one person responds to your threads, I Believe they automatically follow it. So if you get people to reply to your threads just once then it's more likely they will engage again down the road. How do you get the one post? I don't know.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep posting and you’ll end up with responses. I think sometimes questions that are common and answered a hundred times a day might get less interest because sometimes people will think just do some research yourself before you post a question. But I think it’s a lot to do with just who is online at the time and their mood

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you write like a three yere old with no copitalization no punctuation misspelled words with cunfusing thoughts and sentenses that keep going and going and going and expecting peeps to be inclind to take time to figue out what you are asking thats been asked over and over then you are probly not gonna get very many replys to youre question cause its hard to read and annoying ya'll just one example
OMGthatissospotonIjusthitignoreeverytimeiseethat

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok people,

When I started in this Forum I was getting responses right away. The questions I ask are more targeted with data behind them so whomever sees it know how to help and does have to ask a million questions back and forth. So please post up and detail your question or issues and I promise you you will get answers you need.

Remember, people here and answering and helping out out of the kindness of their heart. We are all here to help each other.

And please search up what you are asking for prior posting the question, there are a lot of topics that keep coming up that are been discussed and answered a lot of times. Nothing wrong of posting up the same issues trust me, but I personally do my homework first to find the answer and share it here so people can agree or disagree so I can gather more data to figure out what is my next step would be.

Happy reefing!!!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thread titles are like fish bait. Ill bite on 90% of cycle threads and the rest I dont care if its your finest jig.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-QT or not QT?
-Tangs in a 40g?

I am glad you are kidding. Maybe should put my dosing tread with BRS and qt and Tang in title so it gets enough answers so I actually can make a proper conclusion :) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dose-but-when.855646/

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well obviously this question is getting people worked up. I've also seen people needing help from the night before or a day ago. Latley I ask a question and am lucky to get a response. It was a legitimate question is all. The responses to this post doesn't change the validity of my question. I understand why now.
There are a variety of reasons, but you are drawing conclusions and making correlations where there are none. Well-structured posts that are in the right sub forum/category, that are looking for info that isn’t easily searched for, where the poster engages with the people that try to answer are the posts that receive the most engagement. It also helps to bump your question to keep it in the top 20 posts.

But this assertion that you only get engagement if you’re ‘popular’ is nonsense. For tank, equipment, chemistry, livestock related questions, people generally answer when they have personal experience with the question being asked, if it’s an obscure or very common question people may not answer because they either don’t have experience or because the question has already been answered and can be searched for.

Outside of specific tank or livestock related questions, general discussion questions or posts generally get engagement if they are thought provoking, timely, provocative or controversial, things that haven’t already been discussed or debated a million times, or things are relatable or elicit empathy.

But regardless of the topic, if you want engagement, you have to engage too.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back