Winged Victory IS salty

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most celebrated works of Hellenistic art is without doubt the Nike of Samothrace, on display at the Louvre since 1884 CE. The white Parian marble statue represents the personification of winged victory. In a sense, the impact of the 2.75 m high statue is even greater now because the head and both arms of the goddess are missing.

The masterly rendering of the wavy drapes of her pleated chitōn (tunic) leaves the impression the Nike descends from the heavens in mid-storm. The fabric of her chitōn is pressed against her body as if wet with humid air, yet at the same time, some drapery sways in rolling folds behind her. The goddess wears a girdle under her breasts as well as around the hips, over which pleats fold dramatically. This style of double-girding a woman’s tunic was popular in the 4th century BCE. Over her tunic, she wears a himation (mantle), which covers her right leg and is blown against her body by the imaginary force of the sea wind. The feathered wings of the goddess are spread as if in full flight.

Hi,
My name is David, the picture i have been using is one i took on my only visit to Europe. It was in Spring 2018. My sons were fulflling a promise to their Mom; that they take me where she had taken them years before. Then I had stayed home working and watching the Labradors.
I was looking at the posts in this forum and realized that tho i had posted in several areas of R2R I had not actually posted an intro here.
OOPS.
I am living in my forever home. just getting ready to turn 66 next month. I am widowed with two grown sons. One married and working on the East coast and the other living here with me. I retired at the end of '18
In March of '18 i bought a 55 gal and set up a FW 'tank of my dreams',
By December I started thinking SW.
By May i had bought a 75 and bailed from SW and made it another FW
In August '19 I started buying SW equipment
By Sept '19 I set up my first SW as a pilot project
By Nov. I reverted back to wanting a SW. I moved every thing FW to the 75 and moved the 55 to the basement,
December I joined the Ohio Reef Club
Christmas I bought another 75
By January my second system was salty and starting to cycle
By February I was moving fish from the first system to the new and Joined R2R
March saw my first Zoa frag
April saw my first Colt corals, a Rainbow BTA. A tear down by a friend gifted me: a toadstool, some GSP, a Brain, a clownfish and scarlet skunk shrimp and three more Colts that had produced the previous cuttings.
I am grateful that I found the R2R community and happy to admit being a newbie with the wonder and interest of a kid first seeing disneyland. Thanks for showing me around.
I started this post thinking to replace Winged Victory with my current selfie portrait. but.. Nah. Happy reefin'

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the intro and for already jumping in and becoming a part of the community!

Clownfish.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes we have crossed paths prior but...
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
pics!!!..we all love pics.. :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most celebrated works of Hellenistic art is without doubt the Nike of Samothrace, on display at the Louvre since 1884 CE. The white Parian marble statue represents the personification of winged victory. In a sense, the impact of the 2.75 m high statue is even greater now because the head and both arms of the goddess are missing.

The masterly rendering of the wavy drapes of her pleated chitōn (tunic) leaves the impression the Nike descends from the heavens in mid-storm. The fabric of her chitōn is pressed against her body as if wet with humid air, yet at the same time, some drapery sways in rolling folds behind her. The goddess wears a girdle under her breasts as well as around the hips, over which pleats fold dramatically. This style of double-girding a woman’s tunic was popular in the 4th century BCE. Over her tunic, she wears a himation (mantle), which covers her right leg and is blown against her body by the imaginary force of the sea wind. The feathered wings of the goddess are spread as if in full flight.

Hi,
My name is David, the picture i have been using is one i took on my only visit to Europe. It was in Spring 2018. My sons were fulflling a promise to their Mom; that they take me where she had taken them years before. Then I had stayed home working and watching the Labradors.
I was looking at the posts in this forum and realized that tho i had posted in several areas of R2R I had not actually posted an intro here.
OOPS.
I am living in my forever home. just getting ready to turn 66 next month. I am widowed with two grown sons. One married and working on the East coast and the other living here with me. I retired at the end of '18
In March of '18 i bought a 55 gal and set up a FW 'tank of my dreams',
By December I started thinking SW.
By May i had bought a 75 and bailed from SW and made it another FW
In August '19 I started buying SW equipment
By Sept '19 I set up my first SW as a pilot project
By Nov. I reverted back to wanting a SW. I moved every thing FW to the 75 and moved the 55 to the basement,
December I joined the Ohio Reef Club
Christmas I bought another 75
By January my second system was salty and starting to cycle
By February I was moving fish from the first system to the new and Joined R2R
March saw my first Zoa frag
April saw my first Colt corals, a Rainbow BTA. A tear down by a friend gifted me: a toadstool, some GSP, a Brain, a clownfish and scarlet skunk shrimp and three more Colts that had produced the previous cuttings.
I am grateful that I found the R2R community and happy to admit being a newbie with the wonder and interest of a kid first seeing disneyland. Thanks for showing me around.
I started this post thinking to replace Winged Victory with my current selfie portrait. but.. Nah. Happy reefin'
Such an elegant post and all people can say is "welcome". I lived many years in Europe and never made it to Greece, you paint such a beautiful picture that it makes me want to visit!!!

OP
OP
dbowman5

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an elegant post and all people can say is "welcome". I lived many years in Europe and never made it to Greece, you paint such a beautiful picture that it makes me want to visit!!!
thank you, full disclosure i pulled the quote off of the web to explain why i thought W Victory was appropriate, I saw it in Paris. we visited Germany and France. I also think Greece sounds great!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back