Woke up to a flood

ChrspnicholsI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually turned out to be a faulty power compact light about 10 years ago. My insurance company went after the manufacturer and got all the money back from damage to the house and loss of tank. It was a faulty ballast and had caused a few fires on others homes.

I learned the hard way to always go with brands that are well known- and always do lots of research before buying.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is crummy. Don't give up though if it is something you really enjoy. Find out what caused the leak and adjust it in the new design. That is one good point to a complete rebuild. You get to tweak the system to remove those little annoyances that you didn't know about when you set up the last system. Good luck to you. Keep us updated!

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain and heartbreak, but be thankful you were home when it happened, bc it could have been a lot worse. My 75 broke while I was on vacation, I came home to a flooded floor and smell of rotting snails. Good luck and I hope you don't give up.

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life is really what you make of it and I've learned a positive attitude, for me personally always having faith in God, and always when confronted with a negative, be the one to see the positive in it. Say to yourself 150 gallons on my floor and I thought, good I didn't want to have to pump that water out, and now I can get an even better take and armed with even more knowledge it will be that much better. Thank God or at least be thankful like another member said that most importantly you have your health. A tank, a floor, a house, material things can all be replaced and when you see the migrant crisis in Western Europe people are walking through hole countries with nothing because where they live they're reef tank got a grenade in it. And imagine if suddenly ISIS was our government. We all need to be thankful we live in a country and have Internet and all the wonderful things that allow us to engage fully in this hobby and share it with others. I went a whole month in July sigh no Tv Internet etc and it was nice to read and just enjoy some peace and quiet and experience life a little before we were so distracted by devices. But I'll keep my high tech reef advancements we have in the hobby and I'm so grateful for these forums.

I HIGHLY recommend joining a club. I read s few books on reeding and marine aquariums and the author said to look for a local club and stressed the importance of it. I really was thinking that sounds dated with forums now, I took to google just to see and I have made so many great friends, usually I get coral for literally next to nothing compared to stores, you get to meet and talk with actual people who love what you love and I am sort of on the border of little RI and little CT so I am a member of both clubs. The CTARS forum is actually on reef to reef click the sub forum "local clubs " or something along those lines and find your state. And that's just clubs on R2R. Google search or check out MASNA the parenting organization of most clubs, the same MASNA that puts on currently flooding our threads with reef awesome: MACNA!

Remember it's up to you how you view this and how you bounce back. I'll leave you with my favorite quote from the best boxer of all time in my heart: Mr. Rocky Balboa. "It's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can GET HIT and KEEP MOVING FORWARD."

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back