Woke up to a flood

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of explains itself. My heart hurts. I have some guys in a 5 gal but I can't get to others. Every ounce of 150 gal is on the floor. I don't know what caused it.

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer man, I'm sorry to hear it. I feel your pain 1 year ago on Labor day weekend my 220g blew a seam. Get the shop vac and a bunch of fans.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make water ASAP and try to save as much as you can....even if you're using pots and pans.

After saving as much, start the cleanup and find the cause of the leak.

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regrettably, if he's got 150 gallons on the floor, the tank probably isn't going to hold water. If you have a feed supply store in your area, you can get large containers that aren't too expensive.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! Giant ball of suck right there. Sorry.

Insurance should cover your loss. Not much consolation, but at least you can recover.

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My prayers are going your way brother. That's certainly a large volume of water but just remember...it could have always been worse, and there is people who wake up everyday to a lot worse. Could have been a fire and you and the fish could be in fish heaven.

I know it sucks but being positive will get you through. If Noah could do it with (a world torrentially raining X 40 X (12+12) a lot more water. He him and his ark got through it and you will too!

REEF ON!

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is a horrible thing to wake up to. Sorry to hear about this best of luck with the clean up n hopefully it goes well and you're up and running soon.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bummer, look at this way do all of the above and you will fix the system, you will fix the things you did not like and build a better setup.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the catastrophe. Try to calm down and grab all the brutes and whatever holds water and save anything you can while you cleanup and fix the leak.
Best of luck. Don't give up.

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a local club? Where are you located? It's nice having people you can call and they'll be over in minutes at the drop of a hat and they'll donate pieces and frags from their tank to get you back up and running

OP
OP
TreyC2010

TreyC2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just depressed. I didn't have time to save much of anything. Don't know where the leak came from except underneath the tank. Just bought a bunch of hermits and snails and a gyre so one of those may have helped. Thanks for the support guys.

OP
OP
TreyC2010

TreyC2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Memphis area reef club is around but it's all fine. Just trying to get the mess cleaned up. I will definitely have a smaller tank if I have one again.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many of us have awakened to find water on the floor and a drained tank. It pays to keep a shop vac on hand. You can find a cheap water alarm to place near or under a tank that may be able to give you a warning if you're at home at the time of a leak. Having a quarantine or frag tank can be an asset if you need a sudden place to move corals or fish to. Generally a sudden leak is from a cracked tank(often caused by non-level placement), loose hose(no hose clamps), clogged line or filter. I've heard of tanks being cracked by falling rocks or even mantis shrimp. Good luck.

ChrspnicholsI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home one morning to find my 150 had started a fire inside the stand. The flames went up the back of the wall and got so hot the bottom panel shattered. Fire and water damage through-out.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home one morning to find my 150 had started a fire inside the stand. The flames went up the back of the wall and got so hot the bottom panel shattered. Fire and water damage through-out.
Welcome to the wonderful world of salt. Cords and plugs have a tendency to corrode and heat up or just directly short. It's difficult to overload a breaker and not have it trip so usually the problem is too much plugged into an extension cord or plug strip or as I mentioned a bad connection caused by salt. It's also a good idea to make sure you don't build up too much heat from refugium lights. Most overheating problems aren't instantaneous and simply checking connections and cords frequently can point out overheating before it becomes a real issue. I got a call from a neighbor early one morning that her refrigerator had quit and the cord burned at the plug. The house wiring had loosened at the plug causing it to overheat. It happens sometimes. Let us know what caused the problem please.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just depressed. I didn't have time to save much of anything. Don't know where the leak came from except underneath the tank. Just bought a bunch of hermits and snails and a gyre so one of those may have helped. Thanks for the support guys.

Completely understandable. I know the feeling. You will undoubtably question everything in your mind for weeks.
Best of luck with the clean up effort.

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really sorry for your loss, but like fellow reefers said, it could have been worst, u have your health. Don't let this turn you down keep moving forward.

ChrspnicholsI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the wonderful world of salt. Cords and plugs have a tendency to corrode and heat up or just directly short. It's difficult to overload a breaker and not have it trip so usually the problem is too much plugged into an extension cord or plug strip or as I mentioned a bad connection caused by salt. It's also a good idea to make sure you don't build up too much heat from refugium lights. Most overheating problems aren't instantaneous and simply checking connections and cords frequently can point out overheating before it becomes a real issue. I got a call from a neighbor early one morning that her refrigerator had quit and the cord burned at the plug. The house wiring had loosened at the plug causing it to overheat. It happens sometimes. Let us know what caused the problem please.

It actually turned out to be a faulty power compact light about 10 years ago. My insurance company went after the manufacturer and got all the money back from damage to the house and loss of tank. It was a faulty ballast and had caused a few fires on others homes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back