Would heat cause any issue to stored saltwater?

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a saltwater mixing and storage station in my garage. My issue is that the temp in the garage during the hot, Miami summer months can get to 120+F. I would pump the prepared saltwater to a container inside the house and cool it to the appropriate temperature before performing a water change.

My question is: would the high heat cause any problems with the stored saltwater?

Thanks,

Art

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a saltwater mixing and storage station in my garage. My issue is that the temp in the garage during the hot, Miami summer months can get to 120+F. I would pump the prepared saltwater to a container inside the house and cool it to the appropriate temperature before performing a water change.

My question is: would the high heat cause any problems with the stored saltwater?

Thanks,

Art

First thing that comes to mind is evaporation and condensation on the inside of the container.

Not sure chemistry wise, but I would think that kind of heat could degrade the composition of water.

chris k.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the other side of the state. I have my wc tanks in the garage also. I have not had any issues with heat. But during the summer i do my wc in the morning when the garage temps are the lowest. I have somewhat sealed tanks and there is little to no evaporation

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Art
I think you will be fine. May want to use salts without extra vitamins, probiotics, etc. Regular IO would be my choice.

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, guys. Very varied responses. I think I need to study this more.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased calcium carbonate precipitation is a possibility, though I don’t know how serious a threat it is.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back