Wrasse dying? Urgent

brainreefspine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is my exquisite wrasse. not 100% sure because he doesn't look normal. Only had him a few weeks. Now he’s lying upside down in the bottom of the tank hyperventilating. Anyone have any thoughts?

Appears to have a little red patch near one of his gills

Attachments

• IMG_8909.mov
    42.2 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

brainreefspine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It’s a 220g mixed reef with probably 20 fish. About six months old. Red Sea reef mat, UV light, red sea skimmer. All the other fish are happy and healthy. All the fish are from Dr. reef and were quarantined. I’ve only had this one about two weeks. I just saw this guy lying in the sand breathing heavily. A snail went up to him and he swam away but it was a very weird way of swimming. Then he settled under those rocks and I took the video and now I can’t find him.

My guess is he’s a goner because even if I could save him with a freshwater dip or something I don’t think I could find him or get him out of the tank. I’m more worried about the other fish. Any chance that this is not abnormal nighttime behavior for an exquisite wrasse? Does it look infectious? Is that red spot by his gills a sign of disease or a sign that he was attacked?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. That looks awful. Probably terminal.

What were the symptoms earlier? Possibly the unknown nuerological wrasse disease?

OP
OP
B

brainreefspine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't seen any symptoms before but i probably haven’t seen him in a day or two - long week at work.

I have a fairy wrasse in the tank i got at the same time that swims around and then like floats down vertically… i assumed that’s why he’s called a fairy wrasse and it’s normal but just mentioning in case it’s relevant.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think this is my exquisite wrasse. not 100% sure because he doesn't look normal. Only had him a few weeks. Now he’s lying upside down in the bottom of the tank hyperventilating. Anyone have any thoughts?

Appears to have a little red patch near one of his gills
This fish is unfortunately moribund and will likely not eat or swim normal and this may have stemmed from aggression, injury internal issue but hard to tell with it within rocks
Any squabbling you have noticed with other tank mates?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing I’ve noticed fortunately, but I’ll keep an eye out. Thank you for the help!
That looks like it could be Uronema, we see that in newly acquired wrasse, anthias and chromis. It is an internal protozoan and is not treatable because you can’t diagnosis it until it is too late.

Luckily, it is rarely, if ever, contagious to your other fish.

Jay

OP
OP
B

brainreefspine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be Uronema, we see that in newly acquired wrasse, anthias and chromis. It is an internal protozoan and is not treatable because you can’t diagnosis it until it is too late.

Luckily, it is rarely, if ever, contagious to your other fish.

Jay
Very helpful, thank you!

Still alive this morning, but barely. Lying on the bottom of the tank breathing kind of slowly. Moved a little bit but not much. Should I leave him and see what happens or should I just take him out of the tank now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful, thank you!

Still alive this morning, but barely. Lying on the bottom of the tank breathing kind of slowly. Moved a little bit but not much. Should I leave him and see what happens or should I just take him out of the tank now?
I didn’t expect it to still be alive, but if it is not eating and still upside down, I think you should consider euthanizing it.

Jay

OP
OP
B

brainreefspine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update just for anyone with similar issues – he was still alive 24 hours later and swimming around with absolutely no control of his body. He slammed headfirst into the rock a couple times. I think it was pretty clearly that unknown neurologic disease. I euthanized him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back