Wrasse ideas for 33Gallon Long/shallow

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually kept a possum wrasse in my 33 long and it worked out really well. 33 longs are great tanks, you don't see them too often.

Can you source one online?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline seems to agressive
Possum and/or pink streak are never available in my area...

Ideas?
The only 4 options for wrasses long term are;
Pink Streaks
White Banded Possum
Yellow Banded Possum
Tanakai Possum

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. A 33 long is a 4 foot long tank. Same footprint as a 55, but 13" tall.

The small fairies, like pintail or lunate or yellowfin or Lubbock's would be okay.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m a cretinous tang police violator but I’ve got a male Lubbocks in my tank around that size and he seems fine. He’s the boss and biggest fish. He can certainly zoom when he wants but he’s actually a pretty casual and calm swimmer most of the time and I don’t think he would be fatally cramped in a 3 foot tank.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has unique dimensions, is it covered? If it's uncovered you're limited to pink streaks, possums and six lines and it's still a risk bc they can all jump. Do you want a wrasse for utility reasons?

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I like those dimensions for a tank.
Thanks!
Your tank has unique dimensions, is it covered? If it's uncovered you're limited to pink streaks, possums and six lines and it's still a risk bc they can all jump. Do you want a wrasse for utility reasons?
Yes I heard they are good for pest controls when adding new corals.

I have a lid! DIY Redsea kit.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yes I heard they are good for pest controls when adding new corals.

I have a lid! DIY Redsea kit.
I have the same lid, works well keeping wrasses safely contained.

Pink streaks, possums, and six lines are all good utility wrasses for shallow tanks. I keep a pink streak in my 20 long frag tank. Yellow banded possums are on some vendor stock lists right now hopefully your LFS can order one for you.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same lid, works well keeping wrasses safely contained.

Pink streaks, possums, and six lines are all good utility wrasses for shallow tanks. I keep a pink streak in my 20 long frag tank. Yellow banded possums are on some vendor stock lists right now hopefully your LFS can order one for you.
Yeah it's banded possum wrasse season it seems they're everywhere. Great personalities. Make sure you see them eating as possum wrasse aren't great shippers and sometimes only eat live for a bit as theyre voracious micropredators. They do terribly in fish store tanks and qt tanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. A 33 long is a 4 foot long tank. Same footprint as a 55, but 13" tall.

The small fairies, like pintail or lunate or yellowfin or Lubbock's would be okay.
I highly disagree with the mention of a lubbocki, after having 2 they’re not a small fairy species and absolutely want a full 4’x2’ Floor space.

The yellowfin, I’d again say wants 4’x2’ as mine loves hiding in the rock more than anything. However, the Pintail may work with the risk of outgrowing the tank in the long term.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 36" long x 18" depth x 12" tall
At 1’ tall you’ll want a more relaxed species of fairy like Pintails instead of a hyperactive species if you end up going with a Cirrhilabrus species - also it will likely have to be the only large fish, no clowns or damsels. I have 3 wrasses in a similar tank (3’x16”x1’ tall) but I began with smaller specimens and the species I have aren’t hyper - also I have a 4’ tank to move the others into if they become too cramped.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly disagree with the mention of a lubbocki, after having 2 they’re not a small fairy species and absolutely want a full 4’x2’ Floor space.

The yellowfin, I’d again say wants 4’x2’ as mine loves hiding in the rock more than anything. However, the Pintail may work with the risk of outgrowing the tank in the long term.
Also if you're looking for control of pests fairy and flasher wrasse will accomplish essentially nothing as my understanding is they're primarily planktivores in the wild and only rarely pick at rocks. On top of that in a 12 inch tall tank I'd want the tightest lid in the universe if I had a fairy/flasher wrasse. I'd expect them to try and jump out several times a day at that tank depth

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back