Wrasse ideas for 33Gallon Long/shallow

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has red fairy, yellow cori wrasse, sixline atm
A sixline would work, but just be aware that they're very likely to become a bully at that tank size, and they're absolute pitbulls when they bully punching WELL above their weight class. The flipside is they're insanely hardy and likely to absolutely decimate pest populations. Pink streak and possum likely would too but they're much more cryptic and significantly more challenging to keep/pricey.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has red fairy, yellow cori wrasse, sixline atm
When do you want the wrasse? And what for?

Pests? ‘Decoration’?

Also if you're looking for control of pests fairy and flasher wrasse will accomplish essentially nothing as my understanding is they're primarily planktivores in the wild and only rarely pick at rocks. On top of that in a 12 inch tall tank I'd want the tightest lid in the universe if I had a fairy/flasher wrasse. I'd expect them to try and jump out several times a day at that tank depth
Jumping I find is more likely with my Flashers in the 4’ tank. My pintail has yet to attempt a jump, my Leopard in the nano has jumped a couple of times after I’ve startled her in a water change. But it’s often she won’t jump.

If the wrasses arent displaying (which is why I say go for a more relaxed species that isn’t likely to go mad with displays) then they tend to not jump but when they display I do hear a lot of splashing in my main display.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much research, this thread and my local LFS I went with a Sixline.

Possum Wrasse have a really cool look in my opinion but they are pricey and somewhat often sick uppon arrival. Since I lack experience in the hobby, I opt out. Futhermore I didn't want another "cryptic" fish in my tank.

The main reason I went with the six-line is that its an active fish and a effective worker, I needed a pest control for my upcoming corals in the next few months.

This little guy at the moment is very calm and hangs near my backwall which is fill with copepods. At the LFS he was in a 10g with a Midas blenny and a pygmy angel fish which is the fish I have (Midas) and want (pygmy).

Thanks guys ! I will update this thread in a year on how this little guy is acting out with others.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000005678.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back