Yellow Sunburst BTA - recommendations on LED intensities to maintain color?

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a beautifulllllllll Yellow Sunburst BTA from GonzosCorals at MACNA. I specifically run a single AI Hydra approximately 8 inches over my Elos Midi (22.44" x 19.7" x 19.1"). Can any Hydra or Vega users chime in with your color intensities with the amount of time you're running your peak intensities/ramping times? This question really goes out to any LED users who have maintained the beautiful colors of the Colorado Sunburst/Inferno/Lemon Drop/Flame Tip BTAs :xd:

here's an iPhone pic :wink:
photo-1.jpg

OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the compliments! the color is still bright yellow after 5 days - as expected, but its way too early to conclude whether or not my AI Hydra intensities and schedule will morph this beautiful piece!

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll tag along for this adventure. i don't have the answer, and i still have a dozen different bta's....

ime, some keep the same color once added, some fade after a couple weeks, some gain their colors back, some change colors and look like a different bta, and some fade out and die. i have some that look better than ever and others that fade, while they are side by side in the same tank.

i had clones of the same bta in the tank. one faded and died within a month. the other never changed a bit and still is in the tank months later.

imo, it depends on the individual bta and the conditions. some are better suited to be in certain environments. if that makes any sense... after having a bunch of them and seeing this happen in person, i would never pay the high dollars for a name brand one.

curious to see what others have to say....

Attachments

• 10486007_10202777930150836_6211399982605322534_n.jpg
    10486007_10202777930150836_6211399982605322534_n.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 646

cmac330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonzos corals is a R2R sponsor, I would just shoot them a message on their vendor page

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep this specific nem but IME BTA's can handle as much light as you can throw at them as long as you acclimate them to it and don't shock them.

ygon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Completely agree with them changing colors. This guy started out as mostly red pink with a little bit of green on his base. In about three months he has colored up and now has green yellow/orange and pink.
bbt1.jpg

bbt1.jpg

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree with them changing colors. This guy started out as mostly red pink with a little bit of green on his base. In about three months he has colored up and now has green yellow/orange and pink. bbt1.jpg

Beautiful color

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for 5 yrs , 3 with AI sol. Color can morph, find out what light it's bee exposed too and go from there

OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stunning! congrats on the pick up!

thanks! it's by far my favorite piece!

i'll tag along for this adventure. i don't have the answer, and i still have a dozen different bta's....

ime, some keep the same color once added, some fade after a couple weeks, some gain their colors back, some change colors and look like a different bta, and some fade out and die. i have some that look better than ever and others that fade, while they are side by side in the same tank.

i had clones of the same bta in the tank. one faded and died within a month. the other never changed a bit and still is in the tank months later.

imo, it depends on the individual bta and the conditions. some are better suited to be in certain environments. if that makes any sense... after having a bunch of them and seeing this happen in person, i would never pay the high dollars for a name brand one.

curious to see what others have to say....

thanks for your input!

Gonzos corals is a R2R sponsor, I would just shoot them a message on their vendor page

I talked to him a lot at MACNA, along with his supplier of nems!

I don't keep this specific nem but IME BTA's can handle as much light as you can throw at them as long as you acclimate them to it and don't shock them.

Thanks, I have the Hydra set at 50% acclimation right now for the next month.

Completely agree with them changing colors. This guy started out as mostly red pink with a little bit of green on his base. In about three months he has colored up and now has green yellow/orange and pink.

Beautiful nem!

You will need a kessil to keeps its color.

what makes you so sure..? Is this from experience?

Had mine for 5 yrs , 3 with AI sol. Color can morph, find out what light it's bee exposed too and go from there

Thanks, I got as much information as I could from Gonzo and his supplier. Now I'm wondering if anyone has specifically maintained the sunburst/lemon drop colors specifically under Hydras or Vegas :)

Igarc009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hydra over my tank. I had different intensity I tried three different infernos none of the them lasted longer than three months (color wise). On the fourth try again it started losing color and eating itself from lack of light. So I put an ATI 6 bulb over the tank and baam in a month it got its color back....the only thing I changed was the light and it instantly changed the anemone back to normal. Hope it helps...

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the source from these have them under kessils and these morphed to what is shown

OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hydra over my tank. I had different intensity I tried three different infernos none of the them lasted longer than three months (color wise). On the fourth try again it started losing color and eating itself from lack of light. So I put an ATI 6 bulb over the tank and baam in a month it got its color back....the only thing I changed was the light and it instantly changed the anemone back to normal. Hope it helps...

thanks for your input. do you have a rough idea of what your settings were so that I have an idea of what NOT to put my settings at? 1:2 white to blue ratio? UV intensities? photoperiod length? max intensities? Distance the anemones were from the light?

Love it!!! I admired them at Macna. Wish I coulda took one, even two home.

tehe i love it toooooo. why didn't ya? were they all sold out by the time you got there?

Apparently the source from these have them under kessils and these morphed to what is shown

I am aware they are from a Kessil tank, but I dont think you can now assume that only Kessils will maintain their color :squigglemouth:

OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its going to be impossible to take a picture of but I see two mouths on the anemone! hoping for two yellow BTAs in the near future!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back