Yellow Sunburst BTA - recommendations on LED intensities to maintain color?

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this while back,now it splited.House in 29biocube with kessil 350w 6hrs a day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

I was able to snap this running out the door! It looks like the yellow BTA is stretching it's foot! The little red BTA on the bottom split the other day for the first time in over 1.5 years lol!

Edit:realized the first photo uploaded the wrong orientation, I'll fix it when I get back to my computer!

Last edited:

leebauer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the invite to the thread! These yellow rainbows have split 6 times in about a 6 month period. My lighting is a reef radiance dm155 for about 7 hours at 75/40 blue white full spectrum. I feed them maybe every week to 2 weeks with raw shrimp from my local grocery store...
uploadfromtaptalk1410228410643.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410228449385.jpg

OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lee, That nems are definitely gorgeous! Its promising to hear about your 75/40 as i have mine at about the same ratio of blue to white. When you say full spectrum, what are your other LED colors and intensities? is 7 hours just the full intensities photo period or does that include ramping up and down- or simply 7 hours of full blast and then cut off?

Igarc009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried different ratios, I think the light just wasn't strong enough for them. I had it at full blast at one point and everything in between. The PAR ratings on hydras are really misleading.

OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried different ratios, I think the light just wasn't strong enough for them. I had it at full blast at one point and everything in between. The PAR ratings on hydras are really misleading.

when you say full blast, are we talking about 100% blues, whites , violet, and UV? Or did you always keep them at a ratio of each other? For example, I've seen a lot of Hydra users use 2:1 ratios of blue to white percentages. UV is typically kept at a low percent, how high were yours? Any acclimation modes, if so how long before you changed the settings/percentages again? All information helps as it can lead me in a better direction of keeping this nem's gorgeous colors :smile: Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryanwongg

ryanwongg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately neither of the split nems made it through shortly after :( I wish I could have kept the yellow beauty.... it truly was a unique BTA

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be able to grow and color the nem under the Hydra no problem, especially if it is the Hydra 52. I have the Hydra 52 on my 180 and can grow and color anything under them with no issue. In my experience people incorrectly assume if it isn't working for them it is because it is not intense enough and that is totally not true in most cases. Most times people can't color with any LED it is because they had them set wrong in the first place or they jump up in intensity to fast and they mess with the settings all the time. Often something else in the tank was causing the issue in the first place but they blame the lighting. A bad mechanic blames his tools so to speak.
Really when it comes down to it lighting is only one factor that influences color, there are lots of other reason why someone has an issue with color.

I have a nem species tank and I am using Maxspect LED and I have no issue with color on my Flame BTA's. Those LED are not even as good a light as the Hydras are and they still color things no problem. I run my lights for 10 hrs at 60% for white (CH1) and 100% for blue (CH2) for my nem tank and my BTA's looks like they are on fire because it has so much color.

For my Hydra 52 I have them on for 12 hrs with a 30 min ramp up and down for sun rise\set and I run my red and green at 45%, white at 30% Blues, violet ect at 100% and UV at 50% with 85% intensity. I have a peak of two hrs where my red, green, UV and white go up 5% higher and so does my intensity to 90%. I took my time to increase to my intensity so don't just crank it up or you will kill things. I set my colors to where I wanted them and every week I bumped up the intensity by 2%.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 76 29.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

Back