Yellow tang with pinched stomach

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all.
I had this tank in my Reefer 250 for about 4 years now. He was healthy and thick. Last Sunday, I moved him and my other fish to a new larger system (waterbox 180). He is behaving normally and eating, but today I noticed this line the runs from
Behind his gills down to his stomach, which also seems a bit pinched. I see this on both sides. Please see attached pic. This line wasn’t there back in my older system.

is this a sign of stress or possibly starvation ? Tank parameters in my new system are all good and my other fish are healthy as well. The new tank however has no algae to graze on, so perhaps he is just not eating as much as he did in the Reefer 250. Any tips or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
DD13F2A4-A260-4077-A8B2-23BF61AA071A.jpeg
9866A19A-E865-464D-A988-8C00647384C9.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? He may not be getting enough from competition.

I would feed a mix of frozen foods, LRS is amazing and a big chunk of nori that will last all the fish awhile. So they can graze on it throughout the day.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more concerned about that white blotch on them, any aggression from anyone on new system? If there’s not enough algae get your tang a veggie clip holder, two little fishies makes a great one that keeps the algae sheets in place. I feed my herbivores those one every other day and they have the biggest belly all the time.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more concerned about that white blotch on them, any aggression from anyone on new system? If there’s not enough algae get your tang a veggie clip holder, two little fishies makes a great one that keeps the algae sheets in place. I feed my herbivores those one every other day and they have the biggest belly all the time.
I should have mentioned earlier that the tang has had the white blotch since Qt… it developed while in Qt and stayed like that.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? He may not be getting enough from competition.

I would feed a mix of frozen foods, LRS is amazing and a big chunk of nori that will last all the fish awhile. So they can graze on it throughout the day.
Thanks - I do feed frozen (including LRS) twice a day and I have a pellet feeder go on 3 times a day. I theory / the amount of food didn’t change, although I did add a trigger fish that may be eating more of its share. I guess natural algae from my old tank was keeping him really well fed, so I need to find a replacement source. Other than lack of food, Do the symptoms suggest any other diseases that I should be concerned about ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No signs of internal issues but likely dietary
This is not a flake and pellet fish but rather one that needs herbivore diet along with meats, fats aminos and vitamins
Feed :
LRS herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
Hikari veggie diet
Hikari marine cuisine
Small plankton
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for immunity health and stamina

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My answer is 'no'. First (no offense). you have too many arrows - so its difficult to see what you mean. Second - I'm not sure the definition of 'pinched stomach'.. It is certainly not a fat tang. To give more information can you give more information. For example I personally - forgive my eyes - I do not see a line or a problem. It was a thin tang to start with - and is a thin tank now - are you sure you're feeding enough?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I do feed frozen (including LRS) twice a day and I have a pellet feeder go on 3 times a day. I theory / the amount of food didn’t change, although I did add a trigger fish that may be eating more of its share. I guess natural algae from my old tank was keeping him really well fed, so I need to find a replacement source. Other than lack of food, Do the symptoms suggest any other diseases that I should be concerned about ?

I think you need to also start adding a big sheet of nori.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you need to also start adding a big sheet of nori.
IMHO Nori is overrated - I never feed it - well perhaps once a month to my tangs. A lot of people. -feed it almost exclusively. This is not directed at your comment - just my observations - and YES - I agree with you - try Nori. IHMO - fish that are thin - have 1) not the right food, 2) an internal problem thats curable (parasites, etc) or 3) not curable. Adding Nori is an excellent idea. I would consider internal parasites as well

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO Nori is overrated - I never feed it - well perhaps once a month to my tangs. A lot of people. -feed it almost exclusively. This is not directed at your comment - just my observations - and YES - I agree with you - try Nori. IHMO - fish that are thin - have 1) not the right food, 2) an internal problem thats curable (parasites, etc) or 3) not curable. Adding Nori is an excellent idea. I would consider internal parasites as well
Do your tangs just graze algae in the tank for their veggies then or do you feed something different like algae pellets?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think nori is required anymore then pellets might be but it's still food and should last awhile in the tank for snacking.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Instead of roasted nori, I recommend air dried algae made for marine fish (like from Two Little Fishes). IMO roasted nori is pretty much like eating cardboard....

Jay

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back