Yellow Wrasse cloudy eye

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been treating my wrasse with Kanaplex (LFS suggested it for cloudy eyes), I have done 2 treatments of 3 doses 48 hours apart per the directions. It doesn't seem to have gotten any better. Can I get some advice on what I should try next?
Thank you,

IMG_2726.jpg IMG_2727.jpg IMG_2728.jpg IMG_2729.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been treating my wrasse with Kanaplex (LFS suggested it for cloudy eyes), I have done 2 treatments of 3 doses 48 hours apart per the directions. It doesn't seem to have gotten any better. Can I get some advice on what I should try next?
Thank you,

This can be caused by either poor water quality/elevated ammonia or likely light mechanical injury. Best treatment is in quarantine using Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 - which is ethromyacin for 5 days.. . . . not maracyn oxy

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be caused by either poor water quality/elevated ammonia or likely light mechanical injury. Best treatment is in quarantine using Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 - which is ethromyacin for 5 days.. . . . not maracyn oxy
Thank you for the reply, So I should try a round of this??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,

It may just be mechanical damage, with no bacterial infection associated with it. In that case, it can take up to a month to heal, eye tissue, because it is clear, shows every little blemish. So - the antibiotics would have just been preventative in this case.

In the last picture, there looks like there could be an air bubble in the eye - but I don’t see that in the other pics, can you tell if it is?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be mechanical damage, with no bacterial infection associated with it. In that case, it can take up to a month to heal, eye tissue, because it is clear, shows every little blemish. So - the antibiotics would have just been preventative in this case.

In the last picture, there looks like there could be an air bubble in the eye - but I don’t see that in the other pics, can you tell if it is?

Jay
It does have some kind of yellow bubble in the eye, it almost looks like it's the same color as him, like skin is growing over the eye if that makes sense. Hard to explain.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have some kind of yellow bubble in the eye, it almost looks like it's the same color as him, like skin is growing over the eye if that makes sense. Hard to explain.

That is a symptom of mechanical eye damage. Antibiotics won't help with that, just time. The general cloudiness *can* be a sign of bacterial infection - so since the fish is set up to treat with antibiotics, you could go ahead and dose with Maracyn 1, just understand that it may take quite some time to heal and some eye injuries leave permanent scars.

Jay

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a symptom of mechanical eye damage. Antibiotics won't help with that, just time. The general cloudiness *can* be a sign of bacterial infection - so since the fish is set up to treat with antibiotics, you could go ahead and dose with Maracyn 1, just understand that it may take quite some time to heal and some eye injuries leave permanent scars.

Jay
So leave him in QT until I see it improve? and dose with Maracyn 1? I want to make sure I'm not overdosing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So leave him in QT until I see it improve? and dose with Maracyn 1? I want to make sure I'm not overdosing.

You could. Since the fish is already there, it is easier to do a second treatment. I would do a 50% partial water change and start the Maracyn1. Always monitor the ammonia level on a tank that you are dosing with antibiotics, in case they harm the beneficial bacteria.

If the fish was in a display, I would say just leave it and see if it gets better.

Jay

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could. Since the fish is already there, it is easier to do a second treatment. I would do a 50% partial water change and start the Maracyn1. Always monitor the ammonia level on a tank that you are dosing with antibiotics, in case they harm the beneficial bacteria.

If the fish was in a display, I would say just leave it and see if it gets better.

Jay
Thank you I appreciate the help. I will order this new stuff and try a round of that after a 50% WC.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so it's been 5 days on the Maracyn, and no change still. still cloudy and has that bubble thing. What is the next thing I should do about this? Change out the water after today and leave him in QT for a couple more weeks. will it heal or is he blind and that's the way he will look forever?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so it's been 5 days on the Maracyn, and no change still. still cloudy and has that bubble thing. What is the next thing I should do about this? Change out the water after today and leave him in QT for a couple more weeks. will it heal or is he blind and that's the way he will look forever?

5 days of antibiotics are needed to stop an infection, but healing takes much longer. As I mentioned, up to 30 days is normal. In some cases, the air bubbles/eye damage is permanent.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back