Yep Another Cycle Question

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I have a quick question about my 210 and they cycle process. I have went with a fishless cycle. On Christmas
I added the correct amount of Dr. Tim's Ammonia Chloride to reach 2ppm. I added some Brightwell Microbacter7
and let it go. I have been testing on occasion. A few minutes ago I just tested and my results are below.

Ammonia = 0.00
Nitrite = 0.00
Nitrate = 50ppm (down from 100ppm last week)

My test kit is Red Sea for ammonia and Salifert for No3 and No4.

My question is just continue to wait for Nitrates to drop? I'm in no rush considering my journey started March of 2018. I don't want to miss the opportunity to put fish in and the good bacteria has nothing to feed on.

My last question is how big of a water change do I need to perform once the cycle is complete. Thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a skimmer, consider using nopox to get it down. This avoids water change. There are also nitrate pads that work too. Did you lower the nitrates yourself or was it bacteria (because if you did nothing then that is some impressive bottle of microbacter lol).

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically a 50-75% water change following a cycle to reduce nitrates... but, that's a lot of water in a 210g system!

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a skimmer, consider using nopox to get it down. This avoids water change. There are also nitrate pads that work too. Did you lower the nitrates yourself or was it bacteria (because if you did nothing then that is some impressive bottle of microbacter lol).
I have done nothing to the tank except top off. I do have my skimmer. I thought i was to wait until nitrates hit 10ppm

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is I have some NoPox lol. I will be using it thanks for the idea.

Just make sure your skimmer is working properly. I've crashed my tank before when my skimmer stopped working while using nopox lol

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a

They discontinued but this skimmer is a workhorse.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i wait until the nitrates drop from 50?
Your nitrates probably won't drop from the 50ppm. The bacteria to convert no3 to nitrogen gas is anaerobic therefore has to populate deep in your live rock... which takes years, if at all. The 100ppm earlier was probably a reading of nitrate and nitrite since hobby nitrate tests also include nitrites in their calculation; therefore your nitrates didn't actually drop to 50ppm.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your nitrates probably won't drop from the 50ppm. The bacteria to convert no3 to nitrogen gas is anaerobic therefore has to populate deep in your live rock... which takes years, if at all. The 100ppm earlier was probably a reading of nitrate and nitrite since hobby nitrate tests also include nitrites in their calculation; therefore your nitrates didn't actually drop to 50ppm.
good to know. Thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was gonna say that is some heckin microbacter7 haha

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back