Your hands transfer stuff into the water

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever wonder why your corals seem to grow at a snail’s pace while your buddy seems to be adding miracle grow to his corals and has an overgrown tank? He rarely ever frags his corals and just lets them grown into each other and war it out. You ask his advice, and copy his equipment, dosing and feeding schedule yet you cannot get a big beautiful garden.

Are you constantly rearranging those corals and plugs in hopes of the perfect aquascape?

Opps! Did a coral fall to the side?

Get your hands out of your tank!

Leave it alone, corals move, they fall over, things are not perfect in nature, but nature evolves. A coral will still grow if he tilts or falls over. If they fall into each other yes they will probably die off in the touching area, but they will evolve and grow new areas and patterns. Mother Nature is a wonderful thing and wants to survive. You might be surprised at the outcome.
I sadly cannot site who discovered it first, but hobbyist noticed years ago that if they let their orange and green montipora caps grow into each other they would graft into each other instead of war. Now we have beautiful grafted corals.

Don’t worry about that perfect coral position so much, worry about what is on your hands when you are rummaging around in your tank.
That hand lotion, and aftershave you applied hours prior will still be on your skin when you go rummaging in your tank. Natural body oil and deposits from foods you ate also get into the tank every time you stick your grubby little fingers in there. Let’s not even talk about what might be under those dirty fingernails and other hygiene practices you may or may not have.

If you do not believe me, take a sniff of your hands right now. Do they smell fragrant? If so, that will come off into your tank. Run a little water over your hands and rub them together, can you feel lotion from hours ago? Again, that will come off into your tank.
This is the reason your skimmer will take hours to adjust its self after you’ve had your hands in the tank.

If you absolutely must plunge into your boxed reef, wash those paws with unscented hand soap up to the elbows before doing so. Yes even scented hand soaps can leave residue on your skin that can affect your tank.

I challenge you to keep your hands completely out of your tank for 1 month and see if your tank responds in a positive manner.
This does not mean stop all maintenance, you can still do your water changes without actually touching the water. Remember to wash your hands before mixing that fresh batch of water though. For glass cleaning you can get by with those magnet cleaners month to month. As long as you give it a swipe every day or two the coralline should not get bad enough to merit hand scraping it off.

AquaRox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post...I'm relatively new to the hobby, and have caught myself reaching in there for every little thing. I recently bought one of the grabber tools but I still catch myself diving in when I can't get something just "perfect". Especially with a 10g nano that I have I've seen a lot of little unnatural debris from reaching in there so just imagine how much we can't see that piggy backs in from our hands/arms

OP
OP
Jovreefer

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gloves are another good option as long as they are long enough. I personally have tiny hands so gloves get in the way more than they help.

Please if anyone has pics of grafted corals or naturally growing aquascape from something falling over, please post it here :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have always been suspect of residual whatever on my hands getting into the tank. Or just stuff in the air for that matter.

tcreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! It's hard to just let stuff sit there after it has fallen. I have a few grabber tools to get the stuff that I know will die if it is left in its current position.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth! I know a couple of people who have crashed their tanks because they didn't thoroughly wash off their hands before putting them in the water.

CJ

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't help it when it comes to my tank. I always see something that I want to change. :(

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great post indeed!

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely true!!!
i have learned this the hard way!!
i work in the medical field and i disinfect my hand before and after dealing with a patient not to mention the strict hand washing we have to abide to. before leaving the hospital, i clean my hands and arms thoroughly and guess what i do once i get home? go straight to my tank and check everything is alright and if something is off i dip my hand in there and try and fix it. totally forgetting that i have disinfectant and chemicals in my hands and arm. this has been my routine for the last couple of months and have started to notice my sps STN. i tried to figure things out, parameters are okay, no pests, until a friend came over and noticed from the time we were talking about the tank i have dipped my hand in it more than 10 times. he said that there is my problem for the STN.
as of now i still do my routine of dipping my hands in the tank whenever i get home and fix whatever need to be fixed, but now i use a disposable arm length gloves which only cost around $10.00 for a 100 pieces.
so far the STN have stopped and my sps are recovering. :)

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always rinse my hands and arm under water and dry them off before I put my hands in the tank. This seems to be working ok for me. But I agree the best thing is to just let the tank be and keep your hands out of the tank.

Last edited:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely true!!!
i have learned this the hard way!!
i work in the medical field and i disinfect my hand before and after dealing with a patient not to mention the strict hand washing we have to abide to. before leaving the hospital, i clean my hands and arms thoroughly and guess what i do once i get home? go straight to my tank and check everything is alright and if something is off i dip my hand in there and try and fix it. totally forgetting that i have disinfectant and chemicals in my hands and arm. this has been my routine for the last couple of months and have started to notice my sps STN. i tried to figure things out, parameters are okay, no pests, until a friend came over and noticed from the time we were talking about the tank i have dipped my hand in it more than 10 times. he said that there is my problem for the STN.
as of now i still do my routine of dipping my hands in the tank whenever i get home and fix whatever need to be fixed, but now i use a disposable arm length gloves which only cost around $10.00 for a 100 pieces.
so far the STN have stopped and my sps are recovering. :)

Where are you getting the disposable arm length gloves for $10 for 100? Please share!

Currently i use the tunze arm lengths and they are expensive and made for giants. Also impossible to do any detail work so i've been lazy about the gloves. Your post makes me reconsider my laziness...

OP
OP
Jovreefer

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the 1 month no hands in the tank, but it's a fairly new tank and not many corals to start with so there may not be a dramatic difference. I've taken my before pics and I'll post them side by side in Nov.

Anyone else want to join me?

financialreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I went to Tractor Supply and found the shoulder length gloves that people use for cows and horses. They are a lot thicker than the cheap food service gloves and come in a pack of 10 for $3.50 I believe is what I paid.

TrialandError

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hardley ever in my tank and so far all I have are a few zoas and my tank is only several months old but the corals are like a month old and the growth is crazy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back