Your hands transfer stuff into the water

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so true i went on vacation for a week and left my frag tank on auto pilot. When i came back every thing seemed way bigger more puffed out and looking better. i m always messing around in my frag tank. I think alot of not messing with your corals helps with stability and that i find is what makes corals grow.

sutton6989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in for the before and after pics..tanks only 6 months old but I have a tendency to always have my hands in the tank trying to make it "perfect". Awesome thread Ill be taking pics tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has learned ( well probably not ;) ) to keep his hands out if his tank cause he leaves his light on and when his elbow touched his lights, his whole arm goes numb lol!!!!! Some people never learn :)

dirtycontour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent post. I'm going to keep my hands out of my tank for a month and see what happens.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wear gloves--done.

:wink:

639px-Badass_over_here.jpg

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting the disposable arm length gloves for $10 for 100? Please share!

Currently i use the tunze arm lengths and they are expensive and made for giants. Also impossible to do any detail work so i've been lazy about the gloves. Your post makes me reconsider my laziness...

Not to mention they are not water proof. I use them but sometimes I'm wondering why... I do use latex gloves when fragging or moving rocks.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good reminder. I'm always messing around in my tank. I'm making a vow to keep my hands out from now on. A green birds nest frag just fell onto my sand and I'm leaving in!

OP
OP
Jovreefer

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember gloves are a good idea but if you are sticking your gloved hand in your tank and moving corals and tweaking this and that constantly you are still disturbing the corals.

peter505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I epoxied down all of my corals and just use my mag float. I may scrape once every month and a half. The daily mag float helps keep algae non existant.

Swooshjvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself constantly fixing frags twice a day when i am on my weekends. If you scrub and rinse thouroughly is there still an issue?

OP
OP
Jovreefer

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are still disturbing the corals slowing down their natural growth. But as far as risk of polluting the tank, a good wash up to the elbows at least should take care of that risk.

I myself was too weak :( I ordered a new coral and had to rearage a few things so I only made it a few weeks with no hands. I'll start again 11/1! haha

dirtycontour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 10 days since my skin has touched any tank water. Only difference I've noticed is my skimmer cup filling up quicker. Which is a good thing!

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my corals almost every other day with mysis (lps, and some yuma/mushrooms) I stick my whole friggin arm in there almost every other day! Not only that I have been constantly moving corals to acclimate to light. I didn't realize how much im probably transferring just doing that stuff until this post. Im going to see if target feeding without putting my hand in helps over the next month, idk if ill be able to keep it out completely but im going to try my best to make it a minimum.

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my hands in my tank everyday. I rarely wash my hands before hand.....only if I know I've been into something that could negatively affect the aquarium.

Things are good in my system. I don't see them getting much better by not putting my hands in. I do agree that we shouldnt be moving corals all the time though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back