OP
KMHREEFER

KMHREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebras can go on LONG hunger strikes and periods where they will not eat... I am talking like months. You usually will see them from time to time during these periods. I would not sweat anything just yet.
I keep a very low nutrient tank and from past experiences any time a fish or something else dies in my tank my skimmer cup goes crazy and overflowes. So far it’s still normal so hoping it just needs a few days to adjust before venturing out.

OP
OP
KMHREEFER

KMHREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...today is day three now and still haven’t seen the eel. Broadcast fed again late last night after lights out in hopes to lure it out a bit but no luck. Really hope it appears soon and didn’t become a meal for my cleanup crew or anemone.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...today is day three now and still haven’t seen the eel. Broadcast fed again late last night after lights out in hopes to lure it out a bit but no luck. Really hope it appears soon and didn’t become a meal for my cleanup crew or anemone.

You would be surprised they can tuck tbemzelves away and find food somehow, and then one day reappear 3' long. I would acclmate 10 ghosties to the tank and keep looking.

OP
OP
KMHREEFER

KMHREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 and still no sight of the little eel. Sorry to say I don’t expect to see it again. As advised by others on here I added a few small ghost shrimp every evening up until last night in hopes it’d eat but no luck as of yet.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 and still no sight of the little eel. Sorry to say I don’t expect to see it again. As advised by others on here I added a few small ghost shrimp every evening up until last night in hopes it’d eat but no luck as of yet.

I'm really not going to give up yet, I'm not kidding when I say it might reappear one day like the loch ness monster. But if the worse did happen and you decide on a another one, it's best to start fish like this out in a smaller observation tank. That way you can accustom them living in captivity and get them on a feeding schedule. Sometimes eels need a bit of training to est dead and I also recommend a internal parasite/de-worming treatment.

OP
OP
KMHREEFER

KMHREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not going to give up yet, I'm not kidding when I say it might reappear one day like the loch ness monster. But if the worse did happen and you decide on a another one, it's best to start fish like this out in a smaller observation tank. That way you can accustom them living in captivity and get them on a feeding schedule. Sometimes eels need a bit of training to est dead and I also recommend a internal parasite/de-worming treatment.
I’m in the process of getting a qt tank set up for any new additions I might get. I had one for a while when I was working on stocking my tank but it has been empty for a good year or so while my focus has been on adding more corals. My hope is that you are right and it will reappear someday, haven’t completely given up hope yet.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2’ zebra eel in my tank. Post QT I didn’t see it for almost two months. I still never see it during the day but when a squeeze a shrimp head in the tank at night it comes out looking for food. Mine only eats raw shrimp - nothing else. I feed it two large cocktail shrimp every week. I try to find the whole raw shrimp, but sometimes just the tail must suffice.

OP
OP
KMHREEFER

KMHREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2’ zebra eel in my tank. Post QT I didn’t see it for almost two months. I still never see it during the day but when a squeeze a shrimp head in the tank at night it comes out looking for food. Mine only eats raw shrimp - nothing else. I feed it two large cocktail shrimp every week. I try to find the whole raw shrimp, but sometimes just the tail must suffice.
Well maybe I’ve just gotta keep looking and keep my fingers crossed. I usually mince raw table shrimp about once a week or so for my long tentacle anemone so maybe I’ll drop a few pieces around some shaded areas of my rock work the next time I feed and keep and eye out. Thanks for the hopeful posts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back