Zeolite question

fjpod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a bag of zeolite to my new 16 gal biocube to help with a startup ammonia problem which has subsided. Of course, i don't know if the zeolite actually helped or the nitrogen cycle just took hold... Or whether it even works in salt water.

The question is, can i just leave the granules in the system as additional biological media?

OP
OP
F

fjpod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a bag of zeolite to my new 16 gal biocube to help with a startup ammonia problem which has subsided. Of course, i don't know if the zeolite actually helped or the nitrogen cycle just took hold... Or whether it even works in salt water.

The question is, can i just leave the granules in the system as additional biological media?
I found this.... Geezzz, i feel like I'm talking to myself here.

Zeolite, is an effective means of removing ammonia. Ammonia is the most prevalent cause of tropical fish loss. The presence of ammonia increases fish’s susceptibility to disease and infection and drastically reduces their oxygen carrying capabilities. A quantity of the zeolite are placed in a media bag so it can be removed afterwards or simply scattered into the tank as the rock is harmless if left permanently. It will provide a large surface area for nitrifying bacteria. So zeolite can also be used as a bio-filtration media. Because zeolite can remove ammonia effectively in a very short of period, it is often used as an emergency solution to quickly remove ammonia. When you have a sudden rise of ammonia because of a bio filtration system crash or overfeeding, adding zeolite together with large amount of water change can save your precious fish a lift.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back