Zero Nitrate & Phosphate readings, what now?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you think it got to this point? I wouldn't want to do all of this and then it just comes right back.
There are a lot of post wirh 12-18 month old tanks (including mine). My factors:

- lighting
- got lazy after 8-12 months on WC and maintenance
- over feeding while I was traveling
- used vibrant to wipe out bubble algae and that triggered a sequence of events including GHA and cyano

zoolan70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend you look into an ATS. Even if you tear down the tank, get more CUC, etc, you will be right back here again in a few months unless you change how you are dealing with nutrient export. Give the algae a place to grow where you want and where you can harvest it, and you will be far more likely to succeed long term.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend you look into an ATS. Even if you tear down the tank, get more CUC, etc, you will be right back here again in a few months unless you change how you are dealing with nutrient export. Give the algae a place to grow where you want and where you can harvest it, and you will be far more likely to succeed long term.
Sorry, ATS?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a lot worse than I expected. Anyway it's easier to beat then it looks. I 'rescued' 100-odd lbs of rock that looked like this from someone's tank a few years ago and all of it is in my tank now algae free. I know this doesn't help you now but the real secret to keeping it away long term is the critters and the refugium. Get that algae to grow in a scrubber and it won't be able to grow in the tank.

And since I can't believe nobody has mentioned it - after you've done everything, and a stubborn patch re-appears, you can nuke it with peroxide. It's very easy to spot treat with a pipette or syringe and it absolutely obliterates GHA.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever change out the biomedia?
Don't replace it, but depending on how much stuff accumulates, periodically empty and rinse out the entire canister. Rinse the biomedia in old tank water (or even fresh saltwater, just not RODI or tap) to remove any gunk before putting it back in the canister; the good bacteria will still be there.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't replace it, but depending on how much stuff accumulates, periodically empty and rinse out the entire canister. Rinse the biomedia in old tank water (or even fresh saltwater, just not RODI or tap) to remove any gunk before putting it back in the canister; the good bacteria will still be there.
I've been rinsing the biomedia with tap water....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with adding more CUC, manually removing as much algae as I can, and syphoning sand bed?

Just noting the typo in my statement which should have read “not advise”.

That’s a fine plan.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remove all the rocks from tank to clean them, can I leave all the fish and inverts in tank while I syphon sand bed? I am also going to go to the fish store to get some chemipure for hob filter and some purigen for the canister filter. Also going to clean filter media after I’m done with sand bed and rocks. I still plan on getting a refugium but at a later date (a few weeks). Will be adding more CUC this coming up week. Let me know what you think.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read that it’s not advised to leave fish and inverts in tank while deep cleaning. I guess I can put all inhabitants in 1 brute and use the other brute for cleaning the rocks. Let the games begin! Will post a tank pic once done.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to lfs and picked up chemipure blue, more frozen food and a mangrove plant. Going to put the mangrove plant in hob filter until I get the refugium.

Time to start removing rocks and fish, wish me luck guys!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have syphoned the sand bed and stirred it up. The remaining water is real milky, should I just remove the rest of the water? I have my fish in 15g of my original tank water.
Kind of at a stand still, not sure what to do..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back