Zoa/Paly Guidance.....because my wife said I cannot sell myself

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all started so innocently, I am new to reefing, so I was perusing google images for the many colored zoa/paly. I wanted to have some names in mind for when I go shopping. I really liked:
Hallucinations
Bowsers
Shazams
Rastas
Eagle Eyes
Yellow Brick Road
Karkatoa
Whammin Watermelon
Rainbow Fruit Loops
:eek:Then I saw the prices....:eek:
Well, after I talked over my options with my wife ;) I was wondering if there were any, less expensive, options that would provide varied colors in the tank. Most at the LFSs here are grey or muddy brown. They have occasional colors in the center, but they are pretty plain. It may be why they are much less expensive. $150+ per polyp is out of my league.
Any guidance would be much appreciated! I had seen some pretty blue ones that were just called blue zoanthids. Perhaps they are not nearly as expensive?
Tubs%20Blue%20Zoanthids-9-700x700.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice corals get cherry-picked out of the wholesale supply chain before your LFS ever gets a chance to look at them.

You have that system to thank for the insane prices and lack of availability.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to stop shopping for corals that way.....online pics are purely deceiving anyway. Corals never look in person like they look in a pic....for lots of different reasons.

You're better off shopping at the LFS and picking what you like from there.

For what it's worth, most of those grey/brown colonies will color up a bit....they've been in non-ideal conditions for who knows how long.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what area you are in, but many local Reef Clubs have awesome members that frag their corals and swap/sell them for reasonable prices. Our group here in Arizona even holds frag auctions several times a year, and corals can often be had for incredible, below retail prices.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another very important rule of reefing is that, you pay cash for corals, and everything costs $20.

I believe that is the standard coral pricing given to wives in my area....;)

And boyfriends/husband's... for me everything's like, 15! And I mean that seriously. Local reefers are usually happy to frags a few polyps for cheap.

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into these.. they're cheap and still some of my favorites..
Rastas, Fruit Loops, BBEB or Blondies, Fire and Ice, Sunny D, Candy Apple Red

OP
OP
henryhahn

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into these.. they're cheap and still some of my favorites..
Rastas, Fruit Loops, BBEB or Blondies, Fire and Ice, Sunny D, Candy Apple Red
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Those are beautiful zoas! I hope I can score some at the $20 price. I think the problem is where I was looking. I also found a site called unique corals that has pretty reasonable prices.

OP
OP
henryhahn

henryhahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what area you are in, but many local Reef Clubs have awesome members that frag their corals and swap/sell them for reasonable prices. Our group here in Arizona even holds frag auctions several times a year, and corals can often be had for incredible, below retail prices.
I am def looking for something like this. There was one a couple hours from me, but I didn't hear about it until the date had passed. Gives me hope for the future though. The NJ board here isn't frequented as often.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found good stuff on eBay too. A lot of people fragging and selling their own stuff. You can usually combine shipping on multiple items. Just pay attention to feedback scores.

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the sales advertised on R2R...that's where I've gotten 99% of my corals. I would think some may be having a Christmas or New Years sale. You gotta be fast to get the good pieces, but if you have a decent computer/internet you should be able to get some.

Actually AquaSD is having one tomorrow...I've gotten some really nice pieces from them:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1...christmas-update-sale-do-not-miss-out.277831/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back