Zoas not opening

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried moving them to a different spot in the tank? Zoas are usually pretty easy to open up. I have one colony that has tiny polyps that wants more light than the rest of them, but most of my other colonies are happy wherever they are.

The only reason (except for that one colony) that any have ever stayed closed on me was due to pests.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with a small colony. I have 3 other colonies next to it and 2 colonies of Paly's as well and they're all open. I have dipped them and tried them in high light and low. They just don't seem to want to open. So I feel your pain.

15930335576197314846357333796155.jpg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can do iodine Dips, Furan-2 Dios and chemiclean treatments all get rid of bacteria that could be bothering the zoanthid, it’s very common

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with a small colony. I have 3 other colonies next to it and 2 colonies of Paly's as well and they're all open. I have dipped them and tried them in high light and low. They just don't seem to want to open. So I feel your pain.

15930335576197314846357333796155.jpg
Usually not a lighting issue, flow can help, but I’ve found its bacterial... increased flow to the area aids in not letting bacteria settle on the polyps.. but not always... iodine Dips work but not always, I treat my tank with chemiclean periodically, and if it’s a small case I will furan-2 dip followed by an iodine Dip that should work as well

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually not a lighting issue, flow can help, but I’ve found its bacterial... increased flow to the area aids in not letting bacteria settle on the polyps.. but not always... iodine Dips work but not always, I treat my tank with chemiclean periodically, and if it’s a small case I will furan-2 dip followed by an iodine Dip that should work as well
I use coral MD to dip. They have been dipped two different times. Not really sure what the issue is. There was different flow in both areas of different lighting as well. Who knows. They were free so it's not the end of the world if they don't open.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coral MD to dip. They have been dipped two different times. Not really sure what the issue is. There was different flow in both areas of different lighting as well. Who knows. They were free so it's not the end of the world if they don't open.
Coral MD is iodine based so if iodine doesn’t work chemiclean and furan-2 are stronger antibacterials... iodine is an antiseptic used to sterilize a wound not so much kill bacteria

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the chemiclean
Read the directions I believe it comes with a scoop it’s 1 scoop per 10 gallons I think (double check) I have AIO as well I treat and wait two days then do a 20% water change and I’m usually good, you may have to do multiple treatments

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some of that but how do i use it in an aio tank
Dips are just that. You mix it up in a bowl or beaker of tank water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes, no longer than 15. I don't like adding products like that to my tank directly but I am not familiar with chemiclean.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips are just that. You mix it up in a bowl or beaker of tank water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes, no longer than 15. I don't like adding products like that to my tank directly but I am not familiar with chemiclean.
Yes this works great as well! I have 80+ zoa species so I just treat my whole tank but if you can set up a smaller bucket with saltwater treat the chemiclean and make sure you have circulation in there and wait 2 days

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your answers are quite vague when talking about parameters.

What is the Alk, Calcium, Nitrate, Mag, P04
What is the par they are in?
how much flow exactly? Some zoas are fine with high, some needs low. This can contribute if they open or not

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this works great as well! I have 80+ zoa species so I just treat my whole tank but if you can set up a smaller bucket with saltwater treat the chemiclean and make sure you have circulation in there and wait 2 days
Interesting. I love the Brightwell dip. 5-10 minutes and you're done. Quick, easy & effective. Wow 80+ Zooas, that must look awesome!

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 nitrate is fine.. it's a little lower, since zoas like "dirtier" waters. I try to keep mine around 5-20ppm. I would look at testing mag and P04. High phosphates can irritate corals, causing them to close up.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back