Zoas not opening

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I love the Brightwell dip. 5-10 minutes and you're done. Quick, easy & effective. Wow 80+ Zooas, that must look awesome!
Lol thank you they’re not all placed on rocks the expensive ones I grow out and sell... and I like the dip as well but no 1 dip covers all your bases at least that I’ve seen that’s why I have 4 different treatments on hand and whenever I receive a new frag it goes through all treatments because I don’t have a QT

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 nitrate is fine.. it's a little lower, since zoas like "dirtier" waters. I try to keep mine around 5-20ppm. I would look at testing mag and P04. High phosphates can irritate corals, causing them to close up.
+1 before dipping further check all of your parameters

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thank you they’re not all placed on rocks the expensive ones I grow out and sell... and I like the dip as well but no 1 dip covers all your bases at least that I’ve seen that’s why I have 4 different treatments on hand and whenever I receive a new frag it goes through all treatments because I don’t have a QT
Yeah especially if you're selling that's probably the last thing you want is to transfer something to someone else's tank. Glad to hear we have responsible refers out there!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah especially if you're selling that's probably the last thing you want is to transfer something to someone else's tank. Glad to hear we have responsible refers out there!
Hydrogen peroxide in my opinion is a last resort dip but if you already did it hopefully it turns out okay for you.
Agreed it’s very harsh on corals

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah yes and if I get anything bad in my systems I’m done for lol I try to give people the healthiest frags I can.. thank you, I’m a college student so because of space constraints a QT is out of the question at the moment hopefully will get one when I move in the coming months !

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah yes and if I get anything bad in my systems I’m done for lol I try to give people the healthiest frags I can.. thank you, I’m a college student so because of space constraints a QT is out of the question at the moment hopefully will get one when I move in the coming months !
Awesome man. Well good luck to you my friend! Ha you want to talk about space?! I had to literally beg my wife to let me get a nano tank started. I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years, was in for about 8 before that. With all of this CoVid stuff I figured it would give me something fun to do so she agreed to let me get a 5 gallon tank. I talked her into letting me do a 15 gallon only because it was the same footprint only taller LOL After much back an fourth she finally obliged. So yea I have no room for a QT either lol this is just our starter home now and when we get a new one you better dang well believe I'll be getting a bigger tank! But I must say having a nano has been nice because it's easier and less expensive to stock. I basically decided I was going to make a coral show tank. I have just been buying awesome frags for pretty inexpensive and I'll just let them grow out. I have had my tank up and operational for six weeks and I'm almost full already lol I take very very good care of this little tank. Levels are great too. My Phosphates got away from me last week but I just tossed in some Phoslock so I'll chase those back down. I like running ULN (Ultra Low nutrient) tanks not zeros. 3.5ppm on the Nitrates and 0.05 on the Phosphates. Corals seen to thrive in a LITTLE bit of grime. I dose a lot of things from Brightwell Aquatics, test everything 2-3 times a week and going to do ICP tests every 6 weeks. Can't wait for the UL Nitrates checker to come out from Hanna!!

IMG_20200623_214322.jpg IMG_20200624_205559.jpg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man. Well good luck to you my friend! Ha you want to talk about space?! I had to literally beg my wife to let me get a nano tank started. I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years, was in for about 8 before that. With all of this CoVid stuff I figured it would give me something fun to do so she agreed to let me get a 5 gallon tank. I talked her into letting me do a 15 gallon only because it was the same footprint only taller LOL After much back an fourth she finally obliged. So yea I have no room for a QT either lol this is just our starter home now and when we get a new one you better dang well believe I'll be getting a bigger tank! But I must say having a nano has been nice because it's easier and less expensive to stock. I basically decided I was going to make a coral show tank. I have just been buying awesome frags for pretty inexpensive and I'll just let them grow out. I have had my tank up and operational for six weeks and I'm almost full already lol I take very very good care of this little tank. Levels are great too. My Phosphates got away from me last week but I just tossed in some Phoslock so I'll chase those back down. I like running ULN (Ultra Low nutrient) tanks not zeros. 3.5ppm on the Nitrates and 0.05 on the Phosphates. Corals seen to thrive in a LITTLE bit of grime. I dose a lot of things from Brightwell Aquatics, test everything 2-3 times a week and going to do ICP tests every 6 weeks. Can't wait for the UL Nitrates checker to come out from Hanna!!

IMG_20200623_214322.jpg IMG_20200624_205559.jpg
Wow the amount of dedication you have is awesome! And thank you best of luck to you as well brotha... oh boy my wife said after college I’m not allowed to have anything bigger than 500 gallons hahaha I have a 50 lagoon and 25 lagoon so I’m blessed she went that high I’m mainly a zoa guy so I’ll probably stick to that until I get my 500 gallon

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the amount of dedication you have is awesome! And thank you best of luck to you as well brotha... oh boy my wife said after college I’m not allowed to have anything bigger than 500 gallons hahaha I have a 50 lagoon and 25 lagoon so I’m blessed she went that high I’m mainly a zoa guy so I’ll probably stick to that until I get my 500 gallon
Hey thanks man. I get that way when I do something, all in. This is a good thing to be that way on! Oh cool; Lagoon tank! Those are shallow and long right? Drop a pic, I wanna see! Haha no bigger than 500.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks man. I get that way when I do something, all in. This is a good thing to be that way on! Oh cool; Lagoon tank! Those are shallow and long right? Drop a pic, I wanna see! Haha no bigger than 500.
Looks something like this haha this is the only “full” pic I have I mainly take macro pictures of everything to post on my Instagram but this is the 50 lagoon it’s 30”x24”x18 I think or something like that lol

A044ECEF-0F1D-4CAA-BCB3-3359BDCF7363.jpeg

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks something like this haha this is the only “full” pic I have I mainly take macro pictures of everything to post on my Instagram but this is the 50 lagoon it’s 30”x24”x18 I think or something like that lol

A044ECEF-0F1D-4CAA-BCB3-3359BDCF7363.jpeg
Sweet man, I like all the cliffs. I like that size too. Always like the shortys. I had a 20L for one of my first aquariums. Yea can't beat Macro shots!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet man, I like all the cliffs. I like that size too. Always like the shortys. I had a 20L for one of my first aquariums. Yea can't beat Macro shots!
Lol thank you! Flowering_reefs is my insta I have better pics on there lol and you should get one !!! Gotta convince the wife hahahah I love short tanks I can actually get in the tank and not have to put scuba gear on lol

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My paly decided to open up after the dip but my zoa is still closed
any more suggestions?
Are there any aptasias on it? I actually just noticed a few very small ones on my plug which is what I'm assuming is keeping mine from opening. Maybe it's just a dud coral, I know that sounds stupid but I have a few different corals that just won't open no matter what I do and where I put them. My parameters are ideal too so it just doesn't make sense. I've just given up and moved on and much as it sucks. They're still in the tank so maybe one day they'll surprise me and open. What are your phosphate levels?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back