Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got some parameters done tonight.
Calcium = 518
ALK = 8.4 dkh
Mg = 1400
Salinity = 1.025
Temp = 79.4

Hi there. Same here I've been having issues with my zoa.Parameters are fine, no changes in my tank. I didnt see any pests. I have a colony that's not opening for unknown reason (as far as I know).So after researching, I came across with the thread regarding Vitamin C dosing that will benefit zoas. I gave it a shot. Now my zoa colony is 95% open. I'm on the 4th day of dosing. Just want to share my experience.

OP
OP
treedog5

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, can you share the exact product your using? I'm up for trying anything at this point. It's crazy how my LPS are thriving but all the zoas are suffering..

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, can you share the exact product your using? I'm up for trying anything at this point. It's crazy how my LPS are thriving but all the zoas are suffering..

Wer'e in the same boat...here are links worth reading:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1252294&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1313416

I'm just sharing my experience so it's upto you to give it a shot. I don't wanna be blamed..lol.

I'm using Brightwell Vitamin C. My tank is 55gal. I started on 250mg once a day then increased it to 250mg twice a day after 1 week. If it will continue to show progress, I'm gonna buy the buffered Vitamin C powder cause its cheaper.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the thread is getting more interesting...
I've never needed to use vitamin C for my reefs in my life.
I've seen those threads...
I guess I'll learn more here...

Grandis.

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the thread is getting more interesting...
I've never needed to use vitamin C for my reefs in my life.
I've seen those threads...
I guess I'll learn more here...

Grandis.

I was really desperate then I gave it a shot...I don't know if it's conincidence but it's working for me.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really desperate then I gave it a shot...I don't know if it's conincidence but it's working for me.
Can you please give more details about your case?
Was the Vitamin C the only thing you've changed back then?
I'm wondering what such additive would do to my tank...

Grandis.

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please give more details about your case?
Was the Vitamin C the only thing you've changed back then?
I'm wondering what such additive would do to my tank...

Grandis.

So my tank has been running for almost 10months now. Nothing has changed..all parameters were fine. Then all
of a sudden my zoas started to close, dying...I've been checking for pests 2x/day for almost 2 weeks! lol! My 2 colonies of zoas are on a big rock and a couple of zoas on the frag rack. They all started to close.My colony of Watermelon died/melted.. Good thing I gave it a shot! Vit C! Now the rests of my zoas are open. :) More colorful and fully open. I'm not sure if its because of the Vit C but I'll keep using it. I've been reading, reading, reading. I was skeptical at the same time desperate.

BTW, all corals are fine but the zoas before I started dosing Vit C. Now they are all doing good...so far. My regret now is I should have tried it SOONER...But its ok. Part of reefing experience... :)

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160912_203052-jpg.396967

My first impression is that it could be your lights.
I didn't want to tell you before because people could get upset, thinking of my LED thread...
My first guess is that your light isn't doing a good job! Quality in the long run!
If you don't think so, just ignore that, please!
Let's move on...

Another option would be bacterial infection, but they normally look a bit different when that happens, and only parts of the colonies are normally affected.
The third thing that comes to my mind when I see the first picture you posted (above) is the use of GFO or too much GAC. Or both. Too much water changes, perhaps?
The simple use of GAC can make a light problem much worse!!!
I'm assuming that you've already checked for predators and irritators.
Is there any possibility for an invasion of irritators around the polyps? Like hydroids?
Next I would try to add some amino acids. Any of the brands for aquarium would be ok to use. Go slow!!!
I don't know anything about vitamin C 'cause I've never used it. You could try that too...

When all I've said above is checked out...
I hate to say that it looks like the light could be the reason. Specially looking the green polyps on the left side.
That is what some people report with LEDs after a while... perhaps someone could analyze your light setting here and see if they could help. I don't have such problems with my T5s.

Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been running for almost 10months now. Nothing has changed..all parameters were fine. Then all
of a sudden my zoas started to close, dying...I've been checking for pests 2x/day for almost 2 weeks! lol! My 2 colonies of zoas are on a big rock and a couple of zoas on the frag rack. They all started to close.My colony of Watermelon died/melted.. Good thing I gave it a shot! Vit C! Now the rests of my zoas are open. :) More colorful and fully open. I'm not sure if its because of the Vit C but I'll keep using it. I've been reading, reading, reading. I was skeptical at the same time desperate.

BTW, all corals are fine but the zoas before I started dosing Vit C. Now they are all doing good...so far. My regret now is I should have tried it SOONER...But its ok. Part of reefing experience... :)
Yeah... there is something about the vitamin C.
Many people suggest!!
I use amino acids and it does a great job, I guess.
My polyps are pretty healthy, so I never have any trouble that would need the vitamin C.
I guess I'll try and see... perhaps they will grow even more...
Thanks very much!

Well, maybe he should give it a shot now then...

Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas look just like your right now.
IMG_1474738275.146296.jpg
IMG_1474738287.363750.jpg
IMG_1474738295.700724.jpg

I'm doing the chemiclean treatment now, water change will be done tomorrow around 3pm. This has helped in the past. Also if u can give them a dip. I found a lot of mini star fish that looked like to be feasting inbetween the polyps.
I went back to look into the thread after answering above...
Found also this pics. Can I tell you your light is the problem?
You should bring up your details here and have someone that really understand about LEDs to try to help you...
I have T5s.
Good luck!
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... went back and read the thread to see what you did...
Please turn off your lights for 48 hours and see what happens.
Do you have an old T5 fixture? If so, try it for a week after 48 hours.
Stop water changes and remove GAC now.
If you have GFO remove it too!!
Let us know how it goes... Good luck!

Grandis.

OP
OP
treedog5

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback guys, to give a little more detail on my lights here is a quick run down. When I first got this tank from a fellow reefer he was running the maxspect razor led lights on this tank, I bought the complete setup from him zoas and all. All the zoas where large colonies established on large rocks, healthy and beautiful. The led's where about 3 years old according to him, so I was thinking they might be nearing their life span soon. I got the tank home and set it up back in January of this year, all was well for about 2 or 3 months and then I starting noticing the zoas decline. Slowly over time they got worse so I thought maybe the lights are my problem and I went and bought a new led fixture, Ocean Revive Artic T-247. That didn't help the zoas either so I started my thread and have been looking for solutions since then. I don't run GFO or GAC, only a small bag of carbon in the sump which I had removed earlier to see if that would help but no dice. I have tried multiple things to help the zoas but nothing seems to work,I turned the lights off as suggested and will wait 48hrs before turning back on. Also I will order some vitamin C like suggested and report back with all my findings.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback guys, to give a little more detail on my lights here is a quick run down. When I first got this tank from a fellow reefer he was running the maxspect razor led lights on this tank, I bought the complete setup from him zoas and all. All the zoas where large colonies established on large rocks, healthy and beautiful. The led's where about 3 years old according to him, so I was thinking they might be nearing their life span soon. I got the tank home and set it up back in January of this year, all was well for about 2 or 3 months and then I starting noticing the zoas decline. Slowly over time they got worse so I thought maybe the lights are my problem and I went and bought a new led fixture, Ocean Revive Artic T-247. That didn't help the zoas either so I started my thread and have been looking for solutions since then. I don't run GFO or GAC, only a small bag of carbon in the sump which I had removed earlier to see if that would help but no dice. I have tried multiple things to help the zoas but nothing seems to work,I turned the lights off as suggested and will wait 48hrs before turning back on. Also I will order some vitamin C like suggested and report back with all my findings.
If you turn the same lights on them after the 48Hrs you'll never know your light is the problem.
Try to find a T5 fixture that fits the tank. Ask a friend or use a used one from previous setups...
Even PCs are OK to try.
OR... some LED expert please help...

Grandis.

OP
OP
treedog5

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, I'm working on getting a t5 setup from a buddy but that will be the weekend before I can set it up..

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, I'm working on getting a t5 setup from a buddy but that will be the weekend before I can set it up..
The polyps will rest then. How do they look without the LEDs on?
Let us know what T5 bulbs you're going to use..
Grandis.

OP
OP
treedog5

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the leds off for 24hrs they didn't change at all, don't think another 24 would help. I turned the leds back on so my lps would open up.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said
You do a quick dip before putting them in your system.. have you dipped them since they have been placed? Moved them around.. I'm sorry if you have mentioned this already., I have been following along but forgot if you have been asked this... if you have not dipped again.. I always do this.. I will put tank water in a bucket and pour revive and a whole dropper full of lugols iodine stir and let it sit for 15 mins.. I then place in just tank water for 15 mins and put in my tank.. you can do this for three or four days in a row if you want.. I think it's worth a try at this point.. and then I would put in a different spot in the tank.. just to try something else..

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the leds off for 24hrs they didn't change at all, don't think another 24 would help. I turned the leds back on so my lps would open up.

If there was any damage done via the lighting, removing the LEDs for only 24 hours wouldn't likely result in any change.

Do they close up at night?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 71 78.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.5%
Back